GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Volkswagen GTI / Golf MK7 General Topics > GTI & Golf MK7 General Discussions

Old 04-04-2018, 04:40 PM   #52
tknj99

Drives: 2017 MK7 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge-man View Post
Iím going through this right now at the moment I will keep the thread updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Assume related to having an ECU tune.. look forward to hearing about this
Old 04-04-2018, 04:44 PM   #53
demi9od

Drives: 2017 GTI Sport DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by tknj99 View Post
Assume related to having an ECU tune.. look forward to hearing about this
I assume he does not have an ECU tune and he should not correct my assumption on the public forums .
Old 04-04-2018, 04:46 PM   #54
tknj99

Drives: 2017 MK7 SE
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by demi9od View Post
I assume he does not have an ECU tune and he should not correct my assumption on the public forums .
Yea, i think its safe for us to assume this, he can keep that fact to himself ofcourse if he wishes.. would still like to hear the story nonetheless
Old 04-04-2018, 05:02 PM   #55
HicBuda

Drives: S3
I felt it was necessary to maintain relative silence while my car was under the microscope at a dealer, I didn't know, for a failed turbo. Just felt like the right thing to do (leave unknowns unknown). Posted the story/outcome after the FACT. My turbo was not covered as well as the no coverage for contaminated intercooler and trashed downpipe and I'm sure some other bits. I will say that I was handed keys to a loaner for a week that didn't cost me anything even after the VW corporate report with a TD1 showed up.

But the OP's pic makes me feel a little better
Old 04-04-2018, 07:34 PM   #56
Julien

Drives: Mk7 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by HicBuda View Post
I felt it was necessary to maintain relative silence while my car was under the microscope at a dealer, I didn't know, for a failed turbo. Just felt like the right thing to do (leave unknowns unknown). Posted the story/outcome after the FACT. My turbo was not covered as well as the no coverage for contaminated intercooler and trashed downpipe and I'm sure some other bits. I will say that I was handed keys to a loaner for a week that didn't cost me anything even after the VW corporate report with a TD1 showed up.

But the OP's pic makes me feel a little better
Was yours a '15?
Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:40 PM   #57
HicBuda

Drives: S3
2016 SE DSG.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:53 PM   #58
Edge-man

So now I feel it's time to add my story... somewhere in Mexico...

2017 under 10K miles had the car under 5 months... had AP w/ MA performance stage 1 on the car. Turbo absolutely blew after 2k miles with AP. Flashed back to stock, and unmarried the AP. Goes to dealer, confirmed turbo is gone and engine is also gone. Dealer doesnt find tune. Dealer sends diagnostics over to VWofM and they dont find tune. 2 weeks later turbo/engine is replaced under warranty... I complained, and I got a top trim 18` GTI. So my two cents, Cobb does something different or I just got lucky...
Edge-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 10:03 PM   #59
bluedoggiant

Drives: '17 Night Blue Autobahn
Quote:

2017 under 10K miles had the car under 5 months... had AP w/ MA performance stage 1 on the car. Turbo absolutely blew after 2k miles with AP. Flashed back to stock, and unmarried the AP. Goes to dealer, confirmed turbo is gone and engine is also gone. Dealer doesnt find tune. Dealer sends diagnostics over to VWofM and they dont find tune. 2 weeks later turbo/engine is replaced under warranty... I complained, and I got a top trim 18` GTI. So my two cents, Cobb does something different or I just got lucky...
Whoa
bluedoggiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:00 PM   #60
emanon

Quote:

Damn, here i was hopeful 17s finally had the turbo issues sorted out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
emanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:49 AM   #61
adam1991

Drives: GTI Mk7
Who says they aren't sorted out?

Mechanical things break. It happens. It doesn't mean the entire run of them has "issues".
adam1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:44 AM   #62
blergrd

Drives: MK7 gti
Quote:

Can you further explain what you said for them to agree to upgrade you?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
blergrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:48 AM   #63
Edge-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by blergrd View Post
Can you further explain what you said for them to agree to upgrade you?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
It's standard procedure for them... So many people who have bought 17's that went through this all got upgraded to brand new 18's I think timing is definitely a factor. It didn't help VW that they changed the model lineup for 18' so people who bought 17's get upgraded trims to make sure the options are comparable.

It also helps that when we experienced failure at such low miles and early ownership it falls under a different category in terms of the Lemon Law... VW does not want to go to court, it's better for them to just replace it and keep the customer happy.
Edge-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:18 AM   #64
bluedoggiant

Personally, I’m most interested in how these 3rd party warranties will handle powertrain claims.

If Fidelity doesn’t know what a td1 is then I’m ditching the JB4 and going to Cobb.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:08 AM   #65
ebg18t

Who has had their warranty claimed denied because of their tune / TD1 Code?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedoggiant View Post
Personally, Iím most interested in how these 3rd party warranties will handle powertrain claims.

If Fidelity doesnít know what a td1 is then Iím ditching the JB4 and going to Cobb.

If I recall correctly (brain is getting old though) the 3rd party warranty wouldnít cover anything till the expiration (miles or time) of the primary manufacture warranty for that particular coverage area.

For example your AC compressor fails today at 45k miles, thatís outside the factory 36k miles, so the 3rd party would step in. But if your tranny takes a shit today at 45k miles itís still under the factory 60k warranty so it would default to the factory not 3rd party.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by ebg18t; 05-09-2018 at 11:14 AM.
ebg18t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 01:54 PM   #66
bluedoggiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebg18t View Post
If I recall correctly (brain is getting old though) the 3rd party warranty wouldnít cover anything till the expiration (miles or time) of the primary manufacture warranty for that particular coverage area.

For example your AC compressor fails today at 45k miles, thatís outside the factory 36k miles, so the 3rd party would step in. But if your tranny takes a shit today at 45k miles itís still under the factory 60k warranty so it would default to the factory not 3rd party.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Yeah Iím with you, I mean when the factory powertrain warranty is up, do ECU tunes matter? Very little evidence here.
Old 05-09-2018, 03:49 PM   #67
emanon

When it's the same type of failure that has plagued these cars since the mk7 introduction, another failure means exactly that.

Sure makes it seem like something in the IS20 is playing russian roulette with your motor at anything much over stock power.

More and more it seems that even stage 2 cars would be better off with a detuned IS38 setup.

Will be interesting to see if the hybrid turbos solve the shaft breaking issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
Who says they aren't sorted out?

Mechanical things break. It happens. It doesn't mean the entire run of them has "issues".
emanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:14 PM   #68
Juggar

Drives: 2017 GTI SE w/LP
Quote:
Originally Posted by emanon View Post
When it's the same type of failure that has plagued these cars since the mk7 introduction, another failure means exactly that.

Sure makes it seem like something in the IS20 is playing russian roulette with your motor at anything much over stock power.

More and more it seems that even stage 2 cars would be better off with a detuned IS38 setup.

Will be interesting to see if the hybrid turbos solve the shaft breaking issue.

You only hear about the ones that did go boom. Not the other 100 people that had no issue for that 1 person that did.

The MK7 turbos past 2015 very are reliable, but of course there can be defects that only rear their head after a tune.
Juggar is offline   Reply With Quote