GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Exterior / Interior Care (washing, detailing, exterior repairs)

Old 06-15-2019, 06:15 AM   #1
Vmax911

Drives: 2019 SE
Recommendation for headlight protection

I'm trying to keep my headlights in new condition for years to come. Has anyone used protective films on headlights? Seems like a good way to prevent the OEM UV coatings from wearing off over the miles. I've found Xpel, 3M, and Lamin-X. Anyone have any experience with these, or should I just get the cheapest of the three?
Vmax911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 12:53 PM   #2
JS82

Drives: 2016 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmax911 View Post
I'm trying to keep my headlights in new condition for years to come. Has anyone used protective films on headlights? Seems like a good way to prevent the OEM UV coatings from wearing off over the miles. I've found Xpel, 3M, and Lamin-X. Anyone have any experience with these, or should I just get the cheapest of the three?
I recommend Expel. Have it on my headlights for over two years. The film is very thick and will protect your headlights from all sorts of rocks and debris that gets thrown on them.
JS82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 03:18 AM   #3
Vmax911

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS82 View Post
I recommend Expel. Have it on my headlights for over two years. The film is very thick and will protect your headlights from all sorts of rocks and debris that gets thrown on them.
Did you happen to install yourself? I wonder if the thicker film is difficult to work with...
Old 06-16-2019, 05:05 AM   #4
JS82

Drives: 2016 GTI
Quote:
Did you happen to install yourself? I wonder if the thicker film is difficult to work with...
Definitely difficult to work with. A heatgun is highly recommended. I did it myself and it took quite a while to get perfect results. Save yourself the frustration and have a professional do the installation for you. I think it is around $150 vs. $70 if you do it yourself.
JS82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 02:54 AM   #5
Slapshot

Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport DSG (bone stock!)
I used Lamin-X. Installed myself, a heat gun would have made it easier. 2 years and still looks perfect.
Old 06-29-2019, 12:52 AM   #6
Vmax911

Ended up going with the Lamin-X kit. The first light had a few bubbles, the second one went on perfectly. However after a few days they both look great. Pretty easy install.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:39 PM   #7
hooville

Drives: '00 Golf TDI, '15 Sportwagen TDI, '16 GTI S
I put the 3M film on my car 3 years ago and they still look great, install was pretty easy for a first timer. It's a thin, stretchy film and bubbles rub out easily.
Old Today, 03:57 AM   #8
Vmax911

Thumbs down

Well I can't recommend the Lamin-X. Shortly after installing I noticed a few sparkles at the very bottom of the headlights. Didn't think much of it. Now not even a month later there are cracks all along the bottom half inch or so of both lenses.
Old Today, 05:23 AM   #9
anotero

Drives: Mk7 GTI S DSG
Quote:
Lamin-x is thick, but the install is easy. Take your time with it and you'll be good to go.
anotero is offline   Reply With Quote