GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Volkswagen GTI / Golf MK7 General Topics > GTI & Golf MK7 General Discussions

Old 05-17-2019, 07:46 PM   #1
GirlGolf

Drives: 2015 VW Golf
Side Mirror Problem

Hey guys,

I have a 2015 Golf TSI, and my right passenger side mirror stopped working over a year ago. I took it to the dealership and waited over 3 hours for an oil change & to diagnose the problem, but they still couldn't figure it out. Luckily my mirror is set to my usual driving angle, so I kept on ignoring it. Today I decided to take off my door panel and see it for myself. I'm not anywhere close to a mechanic, but I just wanted to see if there's any wires that wasn't plugged in. I found a wire that got stripped due to friction on the metal, and it was also cut off. My question is do any of you know what part # this is, or what kind of wire it is? Do you think it's a possible DIY? If not, it's fine. At least when I take it to a mechanic I know what's the problem, and won't be quoted for something outrageous.

Thanks!
Attached Images

GirlGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:50 PM   #2
russiankid

Drives: Das Auto
If that is the harness for the mirror then you can solder it back together. I am not sure if you can get the harness by itself as it usually comes attached to the mirror.
russiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:01 PM   #3
Jose_Gti

Drives: Golf GTI MK7
As Russiankid said, just strip the cable solder the 2 parts, make sure you protect it with electric tape and wire loom and you will be good to go.
MT APR stage II APR Down Pipe. APR Intake. RS7 plugs/RS3 Coil Packs. 034 Dogbone. APR short shifter full system. ECS Clutch Bleeder Block. Billy Boat Resonator. TTRS Clutch kit. UBQ unibrace and Neuspeed sway bar. APR Intercooler + Apr boost hoses, apr turbo inlet pipe.
235/40ZR-18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3. BMS pedal tuner.
Jose_Gti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:24 PM   #4
akimmel

Drives: 2015 GTI 6MT
maybe get a grommet for the hole from the hardware store while you're in there
akimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:34 PM   #5
imthanick_a

Drives: 2016 GTI SE
Yep. Solder or butt splice it. If you solder it and don't have much experience soldering, look up some tutorials first and look up the linemen splice, makes things much easier and stronger. akimmel's suggestion is good too. If you cant find a grommet the right size, get some Tesa tape or something and cover the sharp edges.
Old 05-18-2019, 01:42 AM   #6
nype

Drives: 2016 GTI Performance - DSG - Carbon Grey w/Leather
Or take it back to the dealership and get them to fix it. Assuming you paid them to diagnose already, and then ended up doing so yourself, they shouldn’t charge you. But I’d confirm first, of course.
nype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 04:15 AM   #7
Tac

Drives: '18 R & '17 GTI
That hole/wire had a grommet on my GTI and R. Was the car bought used, or the mirror previously replaced?
Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 04:28 AM   #8
jimlloyd40

Drives: 2018 Golf GTI SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by nype View Post
Or take it back to the dealership and get them to fix it. Assuming you paid them to diagnose already, and then ended up doing so yourself, they shouldn’t charge you. But I’d confirm first, of course.
I wouldn't trust that dealership to do anything including changing the oil again. That's pathetic they couldn't diagnose the problem.
jimlloyd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:19 PM   #9
Reaper

Drives: Golf MK7
That harness is for the mirror and should have a grommet there for that exact reason, try to solder all the wires back and if its done well then everything should work.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote