GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Volkswagen GTI / Golf MK7 General Topics > GTI & Golf MK7 General Discussions

Old 08-18-2019, 01:08 PM   #103
Mk_GTI

Drives: 2018 Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlloyd40 View Post
It would take more than a tune to get a GTI up to the CTR power numbers. That's also not the point. The thread is a comparison of the CTR to a Golf R because people cross shop those.
Get a stage 2 tune and you'll be replacing the OEM clutch very early.
Mk_GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 02:07 PM   #104
PerceivedShift

Drives: 2017 Golf GTI Sport MT, 98' JDMITR swapped Integra
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfamous View Post
for the lulz?

300hp is fine for FWD, 400hp I consider the limit for a DD. Of course it's not every ones cup of tea. Which is why the R is such a better option than the CTR, it's just as fast and will put well over 400hp to the ground if you ever feel the need. Most people are not testing the limits of the car at the track either.

Also lets not forget the STI exists...they tend to hold value as well. Though, if you are choosing a car based on how it holds value, you should probably buy used. Or invest your money instead in actual assets
Old 08-18-2019, 03:38 PM   #105
Golfs everyday

Drives: 17 Golf-R
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerceivedShift View Post

Also lets not forget the STI exists...they tend to hold value as well.
Yes, got at 2016 in my garage next to my Golf-R. Fantastic cars to have for variety. I love my Golf-R and STI.
I'm not sure I can enjoy the Civic TypeR. I might still get one though since I have a spot open in my garage.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:20 PM   #106
jimlloyd40

Drives: 2018 Golf GTI SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk_GTI View Post
Get a stage 2 tune and you'll be replacing the OEM clutch very early.
Have no idea why you said that in relation to what I said.
jimlloyd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:14 AM   #107
swcrow

Drives: MK7.5 GTI SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerceivedShift View Post
Also lets not forget the STI exists...they tend to hold value as well.
Immense understatement. I sold my 07 WRX with 177k for almost 15k
Old 08-19-2019, 05:41 AM   #108
chillax

Drives: 18 GTI SE
Quote:
disagree.

you compare parts for parts because it's the only proper way to do it. It may not sound "fair," but it really is. It's the same reason you don't try to compare modded vs stocked. It's ridiculous. All you do is jump into the rabbit hole of defining what is "the best version" before you eventually realize that you lost the game days ago. And in the end, all your data is shit and no one should trust it.

Yes, obviously the DSG will be way faster on a start and in a straight line, but I'm still not sure that matters in the end with a full track test. The CTR is a beast.
Sorry but that makes no sense. There is a big difference between testing two stock cars with the transmissions they come with from the factory than a stock vs modded car. Your "proper" way of doing it is running with a nerfed version of the Golf R which the manual essentially is if you want the best possible performance.
chillax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 01:48 PM   #109
JC_451

Drives: 2017 GTI Sport 6MT
Literally any topic can be turned into Manual vs. DSG.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
JC_451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:46 PM   #110
Mk_GTI

Drives: 2018 Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlloyd40 View Post
Have no idea why you said that in relation to what I said.
You can easily tune a GTI to CTR levels, but the clutch becomes a major weak point. Something to consider if comparing these two cars.
Mk_GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:07 PM   #111
zinfamous

Drives: 2019 GTI SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillax View Post
Sorry but that makes no sense. There is a big difference between testing two stock cars with the transmissions they come with from the factory than a stock vs modded car. Your "proper" way of doing it is running with a nerfed version of the Golf R which the manual essentially is if you want the best possible performance.
In a drag race, obviously it's more of an advantage (for the R) to test the DSG R against the only-available-as-manual CTR. But you're really just showing how much of an advantage the DSG is to every manual on any car today.

You're not really testing the cars at that point. Testing doesn't work that way. You either keep the same bottleneck on both platforms (manual transmission as bottleneck to acceleration), or give one test platform a major advantage by eliminating that one bottleneck, thus handicapping the other, and arbitrarily declaring it fair. It simply isn't a fair test.

Now, do I think it's more interesting to test the R DSG vs the CTR? sure....but you're further increasing the price gap between the two (if we just go by MSRP), which will probably only show the CTR to be an even better value, no?
zinfamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:20 PM   #112
20ls01

Drives: 2018 GTI SE 6spd
i think i may be one of the few here who will take a ctr over an golf r. Ive had 01 integra 5spd and 06 rsx type-s and loved the way honda fwd cars drive. It is addicting! Their gearboxes is unparalleled. The ctr builds builds on what makes the integra and rsx so fun, so i can imagine it being an amazing machine.

GTI is great and refined in its driving but lacks that thrill...
Old 08-19-2019, 09:17 PM   #113
XM_Rocks

Drives: '16 GTI SE 6MT w/ LP, PP, DCC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20ls01 View Post
i think i may be one of the few here who will take a ctr over an golf r. Ive had 01 integra 5spd and 06 rsx type-s and loved the way honda fwd cars drive. It is addicting! Their gearboxes is unparalleled. The ctr builds builds on what makes the integra and rsx so fun, so i can imagine it being an amazing machine.

GTI is great and refined in its driving but lacks that thrill...
I might take a CTR over a Golf R, but the GTI vs CTR is a weird comparo.

The real world prices are quite different.

My loaded SE, 6MT, PP, LP with DCC was $28,500 after discounts.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:51 AM   #114
jimlloyd40

Drives: 2018 Golf GTI SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk_GTI View Post
You can easily tune a GTI to CTR levels, but the clutch becomes a major weak point. Something to consider if comparing these two cars.
Correct but that's not what the thread is about. It's about the CTR and Golf R. Yes you can tune a GTI to CTR power levels pretty easily but that's irrelevant to this thread. Plus you would then be comparing a tuned GTI with mods to a stock CTR. Tune the CTR and then the GTI has to spend more money to catch up. And so it goes on and on.
jimlloyd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:29 AM   #115
Xdpker

Drives: 17 GTI
My friend got one of these in championship white. For 45k, I'm not impressed. My JB4 e30 GTI has no problem keeping up when hooning around in the canyons. When we do pulls on the freeway, we're dead even until ~115 MPH, and then he'll start pulling away and really pulling away when I hit the speed limiter . For *almost* twice the amount of money as my car, I'd expect him to blow the doors off my GTI. Golf R for sure
Xdpker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 04:20 AM   #116
chillax

Drives: 18 GTI SE
Quote:
In a drag race, obviously it's more of an advantage (for the R) to test the DSG R against the only-available-as-manual CTR. But you're really just showing how much of an advantage the DSG is to every manual on any car today.

You're not really testing the cars at that point. Testing doesn't work that way. You either keep the same bottleneck on both platforms (manual transmission as bottleneck to acceleration), or give one test platform a major advantage by eliminating that one bottleneck, thus handicapping the other, and arbitrarily declaring it fair. It simply isn't a fair test.

Now, do I think it's more interesting to test the R DSG vs the CTR? sure....but you're further increasing the price gap between the two (if we just go by MSRP), which will probably only show the CTR to be an even better value, no?
Well thanks for the explanation. I understand what you are getting at but I'll have to think about whether I now agree lol.
chillax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:56 PM   #117
Mike-E

Drives: 2016 Golf-R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
shame the wrx still isn't available in HB. It would have been a closer call for me if the WRX was a HB.

I agree the civic is gaudy. I didn't think the civic had more room...
I agree. I traded in an 08 STI HB for my 16 Golf-R. If the STI had been available in HB, I probably would have stayed with Subaru. Though now I appreciate that the R is a grown ups hot rod.
Mike-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:09 PM   #118
XM_Rocks

Drives: '16 GTI SE 6MT w/ LP, PP, DCC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdpker View Post
My friend got one of these in championship white. For 45k, I'm not impressed. My JB4 e30 GTI has no problem keeping up when hooning around in the canyons. When we do pulls on the freeway, we're dead even until ~115 MPH, and then he'll start pulling away and really pulling away when I hit the speed limiter . For *almost* twice the amount of money as my car, I'd expect him to blow the doors off my GTI. Golf R for sure
You’re tuned though.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:27 PM   #119
zinfamous

Drives: 2019 GTI SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillax View Post
Well thanks for the explanation. I understand what you are getting at but I'll have to think about whether I now agree lol.
Yeah, I like the idea of testing best vs best and I think it has its own place, but it's a different kind of test.

Ideally, the CTR would have an auto to make a fair comparison (removes the driver component from shifting), but to really make it ideal, they'd both be a dual clutch--as I recall, Honda autos are still kinda shit, aren't they? Or maybe I'm wrong.
zinfamous is offline   Reply With Quote