GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocrossing / Driving Techniques

Old 08-18-2019, 06:36 AM   #341
Mini7

Drives: '17 GTi PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean.mason.75873 View Post
If either of you have Daytona videos, I'll love to see them. Get an idea where I can improve.

Doing the full course at Sebring next month. I'll be doing pads and fluid, but probably still stock tires. I want to save the RE71R'S for autocross.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Daytona looks like a fun track to run on, after watching your video. I didnt realize how much time you spend on the oval. What was your v-max? Getting good corner exit onto the oval is key.
PowerBrake 330x32 BBK | PB13 front pads | Pagid RS19 rear pads | RS3 Brake Deflectors | SRF Fluid | Neuspeed RSE10s 18x8.5 et45 | Michelin Pilot Sport 4S in 255-35-18 | Stock Power | VWR oil catch can | SuperPro LCA | 034 Motorsports RSB | 2:17 @ VIR

YouTube Channel- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChz...UkD2AgXNHWVuDw
Mini7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:57 AM   #342
Mini7

Quote:
Originally Posted by crild View Post
Xds applys brakes to aid in faster turn it so yes it will wear brakes faster. Mine isn't off but it is set to low. You can definitely tell a difference with the settings.
I still have my Pagid RSL 19s on my rear PP brakes, after 2-seasons of DEs and road miles.

I need to check my XDS setting. I had switched it off and then back to low or weak. When I brain fart and forget to switch ESC off the rear brakes do get extra toasty.
PowerBrake 330x32 BBK | PB13 front pads | Pagid RS19 rear pads | RS3 Brake Deflectors | SRF Fluid | Neuspeed RSE10s 18x8.5 et45 | Michelin Pilot Sport 4S in 255-35-18 | Stock Power | VWR oil catch can | SuperPro LCA | 034 Motorsports RSB | 2:17 @ VIR

Old 08-18-2019, 07:28 AM   #343
Mini7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkArrow View Post
Do a lot of people turn XDS off for track days? My rear pads are at ~1mm after 2 track weekends (14 total sessions) with only 15k total miles on the car. My friends, who are not familiar with VW, are saying the XDS is probably the main reason for the rear pads wearing so quickly.
Try the Pagid RSL 19s. I leave them in for my DD and they do not eat rotors. Heck I left my RSL29s in for the street as well when I had my PP front brakes. Pagids are pricey but the do last longer and are relatively kind to rotors.

OG Racing carries them.
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2019, 08:15 PM   #344
Mini7

Does anyone know of an alternate source for axles for the Mk7 GTi with Performance Pack with 6-speed manual? Dealer prices are ridiculous.

I discovered a pinhole in my inner passenger side CV boot which my Dealer missed. It appears that I’ve caught it in time, based on the amount of grease slung out. No way to tell based on that. No noise that I can detect although the inner joint makes for a little more difficult diagnoses than the outer joint.

I’ve purchased the OE boot. For the price of an inner joint I’d like to consider a good used drive shaft or if any one has a source for an aftermarket GKN drive shaft?

Old 08-18-2019, 09:21 PM   #345
victorofhavoc

Drives: '16 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini7 View Post
Does anyone know of an alternate source for axles for the Mk7 GTi with Performance Pack with 6-speed manual? Dealer prices are ridiculous.

I discovered a pinhole in my inner passenger side CV boot which my Dealer missed. It appears that Ive caught it in time, based on the amount of grease slung out. No way to tell based on that. No noise that I can detect although the inner joint makes for a little more difficult diagnoses than the outer joint.

Ive purchased the OE boot. For the price of an inner joint Id like to consider a good used drive shaft or if any one has a source for an aftermarket GKN drive shaft?
That is one component where I recommend staying oem. The tolerance on the diff end is extremely tight, and even a millimeter of play in any direction will mess with the functionality of your diff. For sensitive driveline components, my experience with aftermarket axles on several platforms has been horrible. I haven't been through it yet on my gti, but I have on my previous wrx, forester xt, accord, and other people's mustangs, camaro, corvettes, and an a4. In every situation the aftermarket part was pulled and replaced for oe (or just sold the car when the diff was badly damaged). Ymmv, but oe pricing is quite fair in these circumstances. Look at purchasing online through your local dealer's site, and it may save you a bit... At my local dealer the entire assembly is 570$ per side, or the inner joint is 480. They also sell a "remanufactured" inner joint for 255.
victorofhavoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 11:03 PM   #346
replicate

Drives: Mk7 GTI Clubsport
Tried out some new tyres on the weekend. Zestino 07RS. 140tw with a Street tyre tread and dirt cheap. Was actually really impressed. Matched my time on Nankang AR1 semi slicks, I’m sure I can beat it though. Stiff sidewalls and fantastic grip. Had one of the instructors have a quick drive and he was equally impressed. I’m guessing these are as good or better than RE71R but a lot cheaper.
Track Hack YouTube Channel
Track Hack Parts Store
replicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:31 AM   #347
Mini7

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorofhavoc View Post
That is one component where I recommend staying oem. The tolerance on the diff end is extremely tight, and even a millimeter of play in any direction will mess with the functionality of your diff. For sensitive driveline components, my experience with aftermarket axles on several platforms has been horrible. I haven't been through it yet on my gti, but I have on my previous wrx, forester xt, accord, and other people's mustangs, camaro, corvettes, and an a4. In every situation the aftermarket part was pulled and replaced for oe (or just sold the car when the diff was badly damaged). Ymmv, but oe pricing is quite fair in these circumstances. Look at purchasing online through your local dealer's site, and it may save you a bit... At my local dealer the entire assembly is 570$ per side, or the inner joint is 480. They also sell a "remanufactured" inner joint for 255.
$570 is $120 cheaper than any of my local Dealers. Who is your local online dealer?

GKN makes our axles and CV-joints. They are one of the biggest OE axle supplier. Ive seen aftermarket GKN axles for Mk 5 & 6s. I would only go OE or GKN for axles.

Any breaker yards that specialize in VWs?

Old 08-19-2019, 03:02 AM   #348
Mini7

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicate View Post
Tried out some new tyres on the weekend. Zestino 07RS. 140tw with a Street tyre tread and dirt cheap. Was actually really impressed. Matched my time on Nankang AR1 semi slicks, Im sure I can beat it though. Stiff sidewalls and fantastic grip. Had one of the instructors have a quick drive and he was equally impressed. Im guessing these are as good or better than RE71R but a lot cheaper.
They have the same tread pattern as a RE71R. No supplier from what I can tell in the US.

Old 08-19-2019, 05:14 AM   #349
victorofhavoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini7 View Post
$570 is $120 cheaper than any of my local Dealers. Who is your local online dealer?

GKN makes our axles and CV-joints. They are one of the biggest OE axle supplier. Ive seen aftermarket GKN axles for Mk 5 & 6s. I would only go OE or GKN for axles.

Any breaker yards that specialize in VWs?
Molle vw is local to me in kc area. I go to their parts search online and everything is discounted. I think I bought plugs recently for 30% cheaper than Amazon or any online retailer. I had to get the oil filter valve stick thing for the racingline cooler and it was 7$ after tax, vs 9+tax+shipping from anywhere online. Any time I need anything oe, I go through there because I can usually pick it up same day.

You could also try your hand at remanufactured oe stuff from Napa (I've heard a few people have had success this route), or maybe call up fcpeuro and see if they have anything decently priced/available?
Old 08-25-2019, 08:21 PM   #350
blunted_brick

Drives: 2010 gti autobahn, 2015 gti s
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunted_brick View Post
To my knowledge, the DTC-60 aren't available for either factory option (pp or not).

The Pagid endurance compounds have always been on my radar, but i was happy with the performance and availability of the 60s (for the Mk6). With that option not forthcoming for the Mk7, i'm considering PP brakes for the fronts in part for the increase in compound choices. It would be very interesting to know if a retrofit to the Mk6 caliper & carrier is possible...

Anyway, WTF is up with Hawk not delivering the goods here? You'd think that with the platform being 5+ years old, they'd have gotten around to it by now. Feel like i'm being forced to cook with the wrong charcoal and i don't like the taste
Anyone watching IMSA at VIR? GTLM top qualifiers at 1:40.xxx.

Well it looks like Hawk was listening, since i wrote that post i see that Tire Rack has DTC-60 and HT-10 F/R for the PP brakes

I'm on the fence as to going with PP fronts or BBK. Would like to keep the cost of friction consumables under control but have to do a little more cost analysis (and guesswork) before pulling the trigger. Being on 17s is really limiting me in the BBK category to pretty much nothing without spacers, i hate to make the switch to 18s but there's probably no way around it... CHA-CHING

Last edited by blunted_brick; 08-25-2019 at 08:59 PM.
blunted_brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:17 PM   #351
jmason

Drives: 2015 GTI S 4 Door 6MT Night Blue Metallic with LP
Neuspeed 340mm 6-piston BBK will fit in Neuspeed RSe16 17 wheels without needing spacers. A lot of money for the BBK, but you can use large (Brembo M) pads. I dont have any experience, but Ill likely go to this setup next season.
P3 Cars Display | Bilstein PSS10 | Conti DWS06 235/40 on Neuspeed RSE12 18 x 8 Bronze or Hankook Ventus R-S4 on RSE16 17 x 8.5 Bronze | Cross-Drilled and Slotted rear Rotors | Short Shift Kit | Tyrolsport Deadset | BFI Catch Can | Eurocode Adj RSB | APR Adj FSB | Eurocode End Links | Brembo 330mm BBK | RS3 Brake Ducts | Solid Shifter Bushings | SuperPro Alloy 0006K LCA | CSS Swivels w TT Bearings | Wavetrac LSD | RSR Clutch Kit
jmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:19 PM   #352
victorofhavoc

Quote:

Well it looks like Hawk was listening, since i wrote that post i see that Tire Rack has DTC-60 and HT-10 F/R for the PP brakes

I'm on the fence as to going with PP fronts or BBK. Would like to keep the cost of friction consumables under control but have to do a little more cost analysis (and guesswork) before pulling the trigger. Being on 17s is really limiting me in the BBK category to pretty much nothing without spacers, i hate to make the switch to 18s but there's probably no way around it... CHA-CHING
Most BBK that fit the 18s are 355 vs the stock 340 rotor. That's only 15mm, and the biggest gain there is from better rotors, not bigger rotors. You could just get girodisc or racingbrake rotors and save yourself some cash there, but that's a 600$ ring replacement every time you need new rotors.

If you care about the caliper for modulation reasons, the neuspeed 6pot should fit under 17s according to them. I wonder if the neuspeed caliper can fit under the austins though? That's what I run on the street...
Old 08-25-2019, 09:23 PM   #353
crild

Drives: MK7 R
Quote:

Pads for the stoptech kits will be cheaper than the equivalent PP pads. Rotors are similar cost if you so two piece rotors.
crild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:38 PM   #354
blunted_brick

Quote:
Originally Posted by crild View Post
Pads for the stoptech kits will be cheaper than the equivalent PP pads. Rotors are similar cost if you so two piece rotors.
Can you be more specific? There are a lot of things that go into a choice of braking systems besides an aversion to Ferodo pads.

That said, i'm looking at Neuspeed and APR BBK in addition to PP. There's no way to adapt either BBK to my 17s without spacers, the APR basically require forged 18s at least, and though my favorite pad compound is available for either (DTC-60) there is a significant difference in price between pads vs BBKs. Now, who knows - i may find that a different compound works better with this car. Just needs time and patience. And money.

Last edited by blunted_brick; 08-25-2019 at 09:44 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:41 PM   #355
jmason

Drives: 2015 GTI S 4 Door 6MT Night Blue Metallic with LP
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorofhavoc View Post
I wonder if the neuspeed caliper can fit under the austins though? That's what I run on the street...

I would doubt it. The Neuspeed barrel looks to be a larger diameter than stock, and the 6-piston caliper just barely fits the Neuspeeds.
P3 Cars Display | Bilstein PSS10 | Conti DWS06 235/40 on Neuspeed RSE12 18 x 8 Bronze or Hankook Ventus R-S4 on RSE16 17 x 8.5 Bronze | Cross-Drilled and Slotted rear Rotors | Short Shift Kit | Tyrolsport Deadset | BFI Catch Can | Eurocode Adj RSB | APR Adj FSB | Eurocode End Links | Brembo 330mm BBK | RS3 Brake Ducts | Solid Shifter Bushings | SuperPro Alloy 0006K LCA | CSS Swivels w TT Bearings | Wavetrac LSD | RSR Clutch Kit
jmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:45 PM   #356
blunted_brick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmason View Post
I would doubt it. The Neuspeed barrel looks to be a larger diameter than stock, and the 6-piston caliper just barely fits the Neuspeeds.
Neuspeeds need at least 10mm to work with Austins, in other words best to go with 15mm.

What i mean is, from other threads on here, Austins need a spacer to clear Neuspeed caliper, but clearance with 340 mm rotor is fine.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:46 PM   #357
blunted_brick

Anyone have APR's template for their BBK? I scoured the website but didn't find one.

FYI, Neuspeed BBK template says i need at least a 15 mm spacer to work with my Sparco Assetto Gara 17"