GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Volkswagen GTI / Golf MK7 General Topics > GTI & Golf MK7 General Discussions

Old 08-16-2019, 06:00 AM   #18
chillax

Drives: 15 Golf TSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstro View Post
Yeah, have to expect some things with a used car. Between having the dealer inspection, warranty and living with it for a week, youíll still have a better chance of spotting/addressing anything serious than the traditional way of buying cars. Hope it all checks out and you get to enjoy the car.
Thanks the GTI is basically my dream car of any that I'll likely ever be able to afford.
chillax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 01:59 PM   #19
CMARNOLD78

Drives: Golf GTI SE Mk 7.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillax View Post
Yes it is meant to arrive Monday, I only wrote "may have bought" in my first post because I am really nervous and almost canceled at one point. Carvana is also paying way more for my trade than any local dealership would. I question how it has so many miles on it already but hopefully it was simply used for very long commutes or traveling often. I learned with my current Golf that low mileage on a used car isn't necessary a good thing.
I am pretty sure they are going for a big growth phase at the moment. They will likely be going through massive cash burn to build market share. Paying more for trades and selling for a bit less.
CMARNOLD78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 02:51 PM   #20
Oscar LaVista

Drives: 2018 GTI SE 6MT, 1990 Honda VFR750
Quote:
I question how it has so many miles on it already but hopefully it was simply used for very long commutes or traveling often.
That might not be hard. I bought mine last July, so I've had it 13.3 months, and I'm just short of 17K. I commute ~28 miles each way, and other than local errands, the car has made 2 trips totaling less than 500 miles. If the PO bought early in the model year, that car could be ~8 months older than mine. In 8 months, I'll have 28K.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:10 PM   #21
shovelhd

Drives: 2018 GTI Autobahn Dark Iron Blue
Quote:
Is that what I will learn from the diagnostic VW will be doing? I told them I want it scanned to make sure it wasn't tuned. They are charging me $95.
I'm not sure if this is possible. I thought the TD1 flag has to be grabbed by the homeland from an ECU dump, and the the dealer can't do that. It's usually done as part of a major warranty claim i.e. blown motor. I may be mistaken though. I'd ask specifically if they can tell you about TD1. Even if they can't though, $95 for a code scan is worthwhile, so that anything simple can be fixed before you pick up the car.

I'm one of the ones that bought a very low mileage mislabeled vehicle (marked as an SE). I chose to bring it to their attention so that the paperwork was correct. It was worth the risk.
shovelhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:17 PM   #22
Corprin

Drives: Ď19 GTI Rabbit
Quote:
Is that what I will learn from the diagnostic VW will be doing? I told them I want it scanned to make sure it wasn't tuned. They are charging me $95.

Yes for me anyway, if I drive 8K a year which would be my max unless I move far away from my work which I don't plan to so I'll have the full 4.5 years left.

Well my current Golf is black and the paint is in terrible shape from the previous owner. Unless it's been thru some disasters in the 16 months it was owned I will probably be able to live with some flaws. I will definitely be reporting any undisclosed ones like deep scratches I can't buff out myself. This is also pretty much the only way I can get my payments where I want them to be unless I go older with little to no warranty left.

PPI = pre purchase inspection. They go over the car like they would for a CPO and give you a list of issues.

Check for warranty flags. If the previous owner did something that voided all or part of the warranty, itíll show up in VWís system under the VIN. Might need to call VWoA directly if the dealer canít say for sure.
Corprin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:43 PM   #23
chillax

Drives: 15 Golf TSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
I'm not sure if this is possible. I thought the TD1 flag has to be grabbed by the homeland from an ECU dump, and the the dealer can't do that. It's usually done as part of a major warranty claim i.e. blown motor. I may be mistaken though. I'd ask specifically if they can tell you about TD1. Even if they can't though, $95 for a code scan is worthwhile, so that anything simple can be fixed before you pick up the car.
Hmm I specifically said the reason I wanted it scanned was to check for a tune that would void the warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corprin View Post
PPI = pre purchase inspection. They go over the car like they would for a CPO and give you a list of issues.

Check for warranty flags. If the previous owner did something that voided all or part of the warranty, itíll show up in VWís system under the VIN. Might need to call VWoA directly if the dealer canít say for sure.
I gave them the VIN and they said it isn't flagged in their system. Would a PPI include a diagnostic scan and how much should I expect to pay for one?
chillax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 10:20 PM   #24
Corprin

Drives: Ď19 GTI Rabbit
Give your local dealer a call.
Corprin is offline   Reply With Quote