GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Volkswagen GTI / Golf MK7 General Topics > GTI & Golf MK7 General Discussions

Old 12-10-2017, 08:11 AM   #1
DucatiScottie

Drives: 2016 MK7 GTI 6mt Crabon Steel Gray
First GTI

Hello all, I have owned 6 Jetta's since the age of 16 and just traded my 07 Fahrenheit in on a 16 GTI 6mt Autobahn pp. I am looking for some suggestions on mods. I am currently considering starting with the forge intake, BOV, turbo blanket, and the Cobb cat back resonated exhaust. Any Ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also looking for someone in the PDX area that can fix the LED plate light issue. I have read that it is just a OBDII code that can be easily edited but the dealership said that they would not do it for me.
DucatiScottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:31 AM   #2
Gti jake

Drives: GTI 6MT
Welcome to the forum!

First off I'd skip the BOV, turbo blanket, Cobb, and the cat back exhaust. I can explain why if you'd like, but that's a lot of extra typing I can use to suggest much more worthwhile mods. Plus I've already done it here --- http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26845

As for great first mods, here's what myself and most would suggest.

-Dog bone mount insert (I prefer BFI) and turn off or disable the soundekor.

-Catted DP (I prefer CTS, but there's tons to choose from). You'll pick up about 30hp, vs a cat back which might pick up 10-15. A lot of people love the exhaust not with just a DP, or that and an upgraded resonator (Vibrant 17930 for the stock CB 2.5" tubing)

-JB4. Plug and play from home, adjustable, won't void your warranty, and can be removed and sold OR stacked if you buy an off the shelf tune (I run APR)

-your intake idea is kinda unnecessary, because our stock intake is good. But myself included most will eat the high cost/small gain to hear the turbo

-OBD 11 you can scan codes and do coding yourself for $120ish

-ECS bleeder block or remove the stock clutch line metering valve

Baun Performance https://facebook.com/Baun-Performance-406768406417784/

YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu8...QYExsTq8fhQhmg
Gti jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:19 AM   #3
KevinC

Drives: '16 Golf R, '17 Kawasaki Versys 650
I would skip all that stuff - the bang-for-the-buck factor is horrendous on those items. Lots of cash for very little performance gain.

If you're itching to spend some cash, and want to increase performance, I'd highly suggest investing in a high performance driving school *first* before any other mods. Better driving skills will do more for performance and driving enjoyment (and safety too) than cosmetic or noise-generating stuff.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:29 AM   #4
Gti jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
I would skip all that stuff - the bang-for-the-buck factor is horrendous on those items. Lots of cash for very little performance gain.

If you're itching to spend some cash, and want to increase performance, I'd highly suggest investing in a high performance driving school *first* before any other mods. Better driving skills will do more for performance and driving enjoyment (and safety too) than cosmetic or noise-generating stuff.
Maybe he's already a SCCA champion in his class?

Either way, a stock GTI is mind numbingly slow IMO. I'd never buy one if it had to stay stock

Old 12-10-2017, 04:35 PM   #5
KevinC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gti jake View Post
Maybe he's already a SCCA champion in his class?
Do you really think he'd be asking the question and suggesting THOSE items if he was? C'mon man.

Quote:
Either way, a stock GTI is mind numbingly slow IMO. I'd never buy one if it had to stay stock
5.9 seconds 0-60 out of the slower 6MT is hardly what I would call "mind numbingly slow". Too slow for your taste, ok, that's your call. But the hyperbole is a bit over the top. And I'm not suggesting that he keep it stock forever, merely that a) his short list of potential first mods are NOT going to do much for performance, especially from a bang-for-the-buck perspective, and b) that a driving school investment would be his best option to start with. IMHO of course.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:39 PM   #6
vj123

Drives: 2016 GTI AB (sold)
Congrats on your new ride.

I would suggest to live with the car for a couple of months before deciding what you want. The first mod i did was tires. Not sure if your car still has stock tires, as reported by many they are horrible.
vj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:59 PM   #7
DucatiScottie

Thank you for the input. Glad I did not just blow 2k on noise makers. As for the DP does the diameter matter if I keep the stock exhaust?
Old 12-10-2017, 10:34 PM   #8
vj123

Drives: 2016 GTI AB (sold)
Depnding on the DPs, you should be able to find the appropriate converters.
vj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:45 PM   #9
armedferret

Drives: 17 SE DSG NBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DucatiScottie View Post
Thank you for the input. Glad I did not just blow 2k on noise makers. As for the DP does the diameter matter if I keep the stock exhaust?
Most downpipes are intended to mate up to the factory exhaust. Some aren't, but the majority definitely are. They tend to state in the description.
armedferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:01 AM   #10
DucatiScottie

Where is the place to order a OBD-II reader/tool from?
Old 12-11-2017, 06:02 AM   #11
KevinC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucatiScottie View Post
Where is the place to order a OBD-II reader/tool from?
Over here dude...

https://goo.gl/Z8Yu8i
Old 12-11-2017, 06:09 AM   #12
DucatiScottie

Awesome, just ordered thanks man.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:12 AM   #13
Gti jake

All of the dp I know of are 3", with the exception of cts which is advertised as 3.5", but only stays that size for the first foot then drops down to 3".

Any of them are good, and the stock 2.5" cat back isn't much of a restriction at all. In fact the two world record holding mk7 (gti & R) both have stock cat backs

Old 12-11-2017, 10:00 AM   #14
The Fed

Drives: 2016 Golf R
OP, how's the emissions testing in WA state?

I doubt you'll see any gains with all of the mods you listed, except in the noise arena.

And VCDS is only $199 and you can do logging.
(Mostly) Posted by Josh/AWE. Flapper valves are open at idle, close after 1100 RPM during part throttle. Full throttle 1st-4th gear the valves open until throttle let off. 4th gear, 1500 RPM to full throttle closed, closed until 3500 RPM, then open until lift off throttle.
The Fed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:12 PM   #15
chiefhiawatha

Drives: 2017 GTI manual
Quote:
Welcome to the forum!

First off I'd skip the BOV, turbo blanket, Cobb, and the cat back exhaust. I can explain why if you'd like, but that's a lot of extra typing I can use to suggest much more worthwhile mods. Plus I've already done it here --- http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26845

As for great first mods, here's what myself and most would suggest.

-Dog bone mount insert (I prefer BFI) and turn off or disable the soundekor.

-Catted DP (I prefer CTS, but there's tons to choose from). You'll pick up about 30hp, vs a cat back which might pick up 10-15. A lot of people love the exhaust not with just a DP, or that and an upgraded resonator (Vibrant 17930 for the stock CB 2.5" tubing)

-JB4. Plug and play from home, adjustable, won't void your warranty, and can be removed and sold OR stacked if you buy an off the shelf tune (I run APR)

-your intake idea is kinda unnecessary, because our stock intake is good. But myself included most will eat the high cost/small gain to hear the turbo

-OBD 11 you can scan codes and do coding yourself for $120ish

-ECS bleeder block or remove the stock clutch line metering valve

Soundaktor and ECS bleeder block total cost next to nothing and is a nice improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
chiefhiawatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:24 PM   #16
slide13

Drives: 2017 GTI Sport
i would definitely consider a few mods to help the shifting experience.

I have a mostly stock 2017 Sport that I love. I look at and consider a bunch of power mods but honestly, while I have the warranty I think I’m going to try to take it easy on those. So I’m focusing on driving experience mods.

So far I’ve done the clutch delay valve delete (free and easy, a must do for any MT), a clutch stop, DieselGeek Sigma 6 short shifter, and a Raceseng shift knob. For me this has been money very well spent and I love the feel of shifting through the gears now.

I also unplugged the Soundaktor because I didn’t care for the fake noise. Come spring I’m going to do a Borla catback to get some real noise going on with full awareness that there is zero performance gain to be had there and I’m okay with that. Want the better auditory feedback for the driving experience.

I’ll also do a dog bone mount insert at that time and I think that is going to be it for now. I plan to enjoy the stock car while I have warranty.

After that it’ll be clutch, downpipe, and tune.
slide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:33 PM   #17
Squishy

Drives: 2015 GTI 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by vj123 View Post
The first mod i did was tires. Not sure if your car still has stock tires, as reported by many they are horrible.
Which stock tires are horrible, is it the Birdgestone Potenza RE97AS?
Squishy is offline   Reply With Quote