GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > DIY Guides and Discussions

Old 04-17-2018, 05:04 PM   #86
treybyday

Drives: 2015 GTI Autobahn
Quote:
Originally Posted by aameghoo View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. And I'm guessing that's to avoid having to change the adaptations to add the fender amp?

Also 2 other questions for everyone:

1. Is the person removing component protection and adding App-Connect key remotely still Jack? How did you contact him. I found him on Skype and sent him a message but haven't gotten a reply yet. I wasn't sure if there's a better way to get in touch with him

2. What service/method did you guys use to find your parts at salvage yards. Never got something from a salvage yard before and I'm not too sure where to start with trying to locate these parts

Thanks
It's more than just long coding and adaptations, apparently. I am still trying to establish a dialogue with Jack as well, so I'm not sure what all is involved.

As far as salvage yards, I compiled a list of more than 20 around the DFW area, none of which had parts for GTI's 2016+. OP may have better advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvw89 View Post
By this process are you refering to applying the app connect FeC at the dealership? Just wanted to know as 3Q0035844 is the part number George mentions in his OP and I was planning on picking one of those up...also is anyone aware of the difference between 3Q0035844 and 3Q0035844 A?

Thanks in advance.
I picked up the 3Q0035844 A from a guy on Facebook. Not sure what's different in the rev A version. This one came out of a 2017 AllTrack without the Fender system. I've got sound, but it's off and sub is producing vocals.

I'd recommend finding a unit that matches the features of your existing MIB1 as closely as possible. From my experience so far, I've learned that VCDS can only do so much before other cables/programs are required.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:57 AM   #87
George Ab

Drives: GTI MK7, BMW E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by treybyday View Post
As far as salvage yards, I compiled a list of more than 20 around the DFW area, none of which had parts for GTI's 2016+. OP may have better advice.
http://car-part.com/
George Ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:34 PM   #88
wvw89

Drives: 2015 Golf 1.8tsi
Quote:
It's more than just long coding and adaptations, apparently. I am still trying to establish a dialogue with Jack as well, so I'm not sure what all is involved.

I picked up the 3Q0035844 A from a guy on Facebook. Not sure what's different in the rev A version. This one came out of a 2017 AllTrack without the Fender system. I've got sound, but it's off and sub is producing vocals.

I'd recommend finding a unit that matches the features of your existing MIB1 as closely as possible. From my experience so far, I've learned that VCDS can only do so much before other cables/programs are required.
Hopefully I won't run into any issues on my non fender system...worst case scenario I guess it's just a matter of sourcing out another head unit.

Thanks for the reply.
wvw89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 04:18 PM   #89
tylerf0606

Drives: 2015 Golf GTI S DSG w/ LP
Quote:

Did you have any luck getting it to all work?

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
Eibach Springs | Neuspeed RSE12
tylerf0606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:37 PM   #90
treybyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerf0606 View Post
Did you have any luck getting it to all work?

Making progress! Anyone have a VAS 5054A cable they'd be willing to lend/sell me?
Old 05-09-2018, 02:20 PM   #91
tylerf0606

Quote:
Making progress! Anyone have a VAS 5054A cable they'd be willing to lend/sell me?
I was talking to Don at Technical Retrofit. He mentioned I need the ODIS cable and then he can remote in and do his thing.

Is that cable the same one you're looking for? If so, where do we obtain it?

Old 05-09-2018, 04:44 PM   #92
treybyday

Quote:
I was talking to Don at Technical Retrofit. He mentioned I need the ODIS cable and then he can remote in and do his thing.

Yep, sounds like the same thing. OP mentions it as well. The whole kit is around $70, but there are so many (eBay, NewEgg, AliExpress, etc.) that I can't figure out which one I should get.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:42 PM   #93
sprinks

Drives: GTI Mk7
Quote:

How does one contact Don at TR? Had not heard of him yet.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:51 PM   #94
tylerf0606

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinks View Post
How does one contact Don at TR? Had not heard of him yet.
I can't remember how I found his information, but this is his email signature.
Quote:
Don Wang
Technical Chief
Automotive Technology Service, Shanghai, P.R.C.
Office Line: +8613023333793
WhatsApp: +8613023333793
QQ/Wechat: 13023333793
Email : don.wang@yandex.com
Old 05-12-2018, 01:21 AM   #95
tylerf0606

Quick update on my progress.

I picked up a MIB2 infotainment for $30 on eBay. I plugged it into my car tonight and I had audio on all 4 speakers and my Helix sub worked without an issue. Obviously, the screen is all messed up due to the resolution mismatch, but everything seems to work just fine.

Now my question is what is the component protection tied to? Is it the display or the infotainment in the glove box. If it's in the glove box, why would I be getting audio on all speakers?

My display is being delivered Monday so I'll install that on Monday and test again. I'm still waiting on the USB piece so hopefully I get that from China within the next week.
Old 05-12-2018, 04:55 AM   #96
George Ab

Quote:
Quick update on my progress.

I picked up a MIB2 infotainment for $30 on eBay. I plugged it into my car tonight and I had audio on all 4 speakers and my Helix sub worked without an issue. Obviously, the screen is all messed up due to the resolution mismatch, but everything seems to work just fine.

Now my question is what is the component protection tied to? Is it the display or the infotainment in the glove box. If it's in the glove box, why would I be getting audio on all speakers?

My display is being delivered Monday so I'll install that on Monday and test again. I'm still waiting on the USB piece so hopefully I get that from China within the next week.
CP is tied to headunit in glovebox not the display. I do not understand why you are getting what you are getting. You may be fortunate in having an issue with CP (a good thing in this case). Normally, you would get no sound, but everything that has FeC associated with such as Carplay, etc. would work. When CP is removed, you then get sound but nothing else works until FeC's are re-installed.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:27 AM   #97
zvonexp

Drives: Golf MK7 Edition 40 R-Line
is it possible to bypass swaps codes or something ?

i have mk7 with retrofitted discovery pro mib 2 and everything was perfect untill car had service at vw dealer and they fucked up whole unit, voice doesnt work, mirror link doesnt work, usb, aux etc.. when i went to check swap codes i see that they re rejected

maybe some fix for this ?
zvonexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:19 AM   #98
tylerf0606

Ended up getting the CP error after all. An interesting find is my NAR headunit had the ROW connector.
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Ab View Post
CP is tied to headunit in glovebox not the display. I do not understand why you are getting what you are getting. You may be fortunate in having an issue with CP (a good thing in this case). Normally, you would get no sound, but everything that has FeC associated with such as Carplay, etc. would work. When CP is removed, you then get sound but nothing else works until FeC's are re-installed.

Old 05-17-2018, 06:39 PM   #99
George Ab

MIB2 amplifier available for Fender system here: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41986
Old 05-18-2018, 12:59 AM   #100
treybyday

Thumbs up

Update: Jack to the rescue. We finished the remote session today. Now have AppConnect and Voice Operation activated and working.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:04 PM   #101
tylerf0606

Awesome. We tried this morning, but my wifi connection was too poor and I ran out of time before work. Going to try again soon once I can get a wired connection to the car.
Quote:
Update: Jack to the rescue. We finished the remote session today. Now have AppConnect and Voice Operation activated and working.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:11 PM   #102
treybyday

Quote:
Awesome. We tried this morning, but my wifi connection was too poor and I ran out of time before work. Going to try again soon once I can get a wired connection to the car.

Yeah I was worried about the same thing, so I opted to pay for a month of mobile hot spot service for my phone.