GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis - Sponsored by The Tire Rack

The Tire Rack
Welcome to the Wheels and Tires section of GOLFMK7. This area is proudly sponsored by The Tire Rack.

If you are making a purchase from TireRack, please help support GOLFMK7 by clicking through to them with this link or clicking on the Tire Rack banner ad. Doing so helps give back to GOLFMK7 so we can keep this place running!

Old 01-15-2018, 09:14 PM   #52
flipflp

Drives: 2016 Golf R DSG
Now that I'm at a computer I can give a bit more detailed review.

I had my new suspension setup installed Saturday at Emmanule Design in Anaheim. Here are the parts they installed, as well as what I currently have installed:

Bilstein B8 shocks F/R
034 Dynamic+ Camber Mounts
034 HD Rear Shock Mounts
New OEM Strut bearings

eMMotion Lowering springs (have been on the vehicle for 20k+ miles)
eMMotion Rear Sway Bar (has been installed for 10k+ miles)

An alignment was done after the installation. I need to look into it a bit more but my camber and caster were uneven L/R. I'm guessing from a shifted subframe, I don't think that was touched. If we even the 2 sides out it gives me about -2.3-2.4 each side. Here's the alignment sheet:

20180115_115206 by Jon Collier, on Flickr

I've put about 125 miles on this setup so far, 90% of it being street and highway miles and 10% of it being a very spirited blast through Little Tujunga road on Sunday. One of my favorite canyon roads as it's fairly tight so the speeds stay low overall versus with longer sweepers like on Hwy 2.

Street and Highway impressions, the car turns sharply and drives well. Massive improvement in ride quality and comfort from the bilsteins, but that's for a different thread. I'd say that there is a increase in road noise with these mounts, maybe 25% more than the ECS HD strut mounts I had before which is expected. No additional vibrations or odd feelings in the steering wheel. Bumps in the road do feel sharper, more is transferred directly into the car due to less isolation. No low speed noise from the mounts, aside from bumps transferring more noise the suspension is 100% quiet at all speeds.

Canyon impressions, there was a huge change in handling dynamics with the new shocks the biggest improvement from the mounts is the ability to hear what each corner is doing. With less isolation in the front and rear mounts, tire noise is transferred into the cabin in hard cornering, giving you much better feedback on how hard it's working. As soon as you're in a corner you can hear the grip/howl come up from the fenders. I pushed the car as hard as I like to and could tell when I could apply more throttle in a corner or when I could turn harder. Very nice improvement there, and a reasonable trade for the NVH increases.

All in all, $300 to get over -2 degrees front camber without any real negatives or concerns you'd have with spherical bearing camber plates, these things are a bargain. If you don't like the idea of some additional road noise but want negative camber up front you'd have to look to $1000 lower control arms or some hybrid Clubsport setup. I think these mounts are WELL worth any trade offs.
flipflp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:46 PM   #53
THEREALVRT

Drives: MK7 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflp View Post
Now that I'm at a computer I can give a bit more detailed review.

I had my new suspension setup installed Saturday at Emmanule Design in Anaheim. Here are the parts they installed, as well as what I currently have installed:

Bilstein B8 shocks F/R
034 Dynamic+ Camber Mounts
034 HD Rear Shock Mounts
New OEM Strut bearings

eMMotion Lowering springs (have been on the vehicle for 20k+ miles)
eMMotion Rear Sway Bar (has been installed for 10k+ miles)

An alignment was done after the installation. I need to look into it a bit more but my camber and caster were uneven L/R. I'm guessing from a shifted subframe, I don't think that was touched. If we even the 2 sides out it gives me about -2.3-2.4 each side. Here's the alignment sheet:

20180115_115206 by Jon Collier, on Flickr

I've put about 125 miles on this setup so far, 90% of it being street and highway miles and 10% of it being a very spirited blast through Little Tujunga road on Sunday. One of my favorite canyon roads as it's fairly tight so the speeds stay low overall versus with longer sweepers like on Hwy 2.

Street and Highway impressions, the car turns sharply and drives well. Massive improvement in ride quality and comfort from the bilsteins, but that's for a different thread. I'd say that there is a increase in road noise with these mounts, maybe 25% more than the ECS HD strut mounts I had before which is expected. No additional vibrations or odd feelings in the steering wheel. Bumps in the road do feel sharper, more is transferred directly into the car due to less isolation. No low speed noise from the mounts, aside from bumps transferring more noise the suspension is 100% quiet at all speeds.

Canyon impressions, there was a huge change in handling dynamics with the new shocks the biggest improvement from the mounts is the ability to hear what each corner is doing. With less isolation in the front and rear mounts, tire noise is transferred into the cabin in hard cornering, giving you much better feedback on how hard it's working. As soon as you're in a corner you can hear the grip/howl come up from the fenders. I pushed the car as hard as I like to and could tell when I could apply more throttle in a corner or when I could turn harder. Very nice improvement there, and a reasonable trade for the NVH increases.

All in all, $300 to get over -2 degrees front camber without any real negatives or concerns you'd have with spherical bearing camber plates, these things are a bargain. If you don't like the idea of some additional road noise but want negative camber up front you'd have to look to $1000 lower control arms or some hybrid Clubsport setup. I think these mounts are WELL worth any trade offs.
Good to know.