GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Volkswagen GTI / Golf MK7 General Topics > GTI & Golf MK7 General Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2017, 06:19 PM   #1
Mr. Bubbles
Member
 
Drives: 2016 Golf GTI se MK7 w/PP and LP
Location: Springfield Il
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 52
Transmission Rattle

So long story short, I have being hearing a rattle since 600 miles, when the clutch sperates the engine from the transmission it ceases to exist. Once the clutch is engaged and the input shaft starts spinning the noise starts again. I have been to the dealer 4 times(600 miles, 1500 miles, 3000 and 30000) for the same complaint they claim its gearlash and normal. My cars engine is stock. It is also worth noting the noise is getting worse especially during the summer. I am wondering if anyone has experianced a noise like this? Any advice is appreciated. My thoughs were input shaft bearing.


https://youtu.be/928PDR3M66Y
Mr. Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:21 PM   #2
armedferret
Senior Member
 
armedferret's Avatar
 
Drives: 17 SE DSG NBM
Location: Maryland
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 308
Can't view youtube from where i am, but am assuming it's sort of rocks in a coffee can sound at low RPM?

if so, that could very likely be gear lash. My 350Z had it something terrible but it wasn't detrimental. just not something I was used to with that car.

if it's something different, i can't help ya. have you tried a different dealership just to get a different opinion in case they're stalling till warranty expires?
armedferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:27 PM   #3
Mr. Bubbles
Member
 
Drives: 2016 Golf GTI se MK7 w/PP and LP
Location: Springfield Il
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 52
It is somewhat along those lines, but more of a knocking noise. My concern is that my buddies GTI ( Same Year and Model) Does not have the same noise in low RPMs, I planned on going Stage 1, but this transmission has me kinda concerned. Compared to my friends gti mine sounds like a diesel tractor. I have noticed more times that it was harder to get into 1st and 2nd, but that could be completely unrelated.
Mr. Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:32 PM   #4
russiankid
Senior Member
 
Drives: Das Auto
Location: PA
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,478
I would drain the fluid and see if it has any metal shavings. It doesn't sound terrible, but mine is quiet. I do have some clutch chatter that is only heard when its hot, on idle, and inside the car.

That noise can also be clutch related too.
russiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:39 PM   #5
Mr. Bubbles
Member
 
Drives: 2016 Golf GTI se MK7 w/PP and LP
Location: Springfield Il
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 52
The dealer is going to take a look on Tuesday and will most likely drain the fluid. I just find it hard to believe that there is such a stark difference in noise between my buddies and mine especially cus he abuses the snot outta it LMAO. Not to mention I never experienced a car that sounded like this in idle. Thanks for your input I appreciate it!
Mr. Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 06:09 PM   #6
plainsight
Member
 
Drives: 2016 VW GTI w/ LP
Location: Austin, TX
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 68
I have the same rattle in my 6 speed. Since I bought the car new. Dealer thinks it's normal but I think I have a defective DMF or something. I get a lot of gear whine too, do you get that? Worries me sometimes but car runs just like new 20k miles

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
plainsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 06:38 PM   #7
armedferret
Senior Member
 
armedferret's Avatar
 
Drives: 17 SE DSG NBM
Location: Maryland
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 308
Just watched the vid. If it's doing that in neutral it's either clutch chatter or something's wrong.
armedferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 07:46 PM   #8
Mr. Bubbles
Member
 
Drives: 2016 Golf GTI se MK7 w/PP and LP
Location: Springfield Il
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainsight View Post
I have the same rattle in my 6 speed. Since I bought the car new. Dealer thinks it's normal but I think I have a defective DMF or something. I get a lot of gear whine too, do you get that? Worries me sometimes but car runs just like new 20k miles

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I get some, mainly in 1st and 2nd If I push the Clutch in the Rattle goes away and at the point of engagement it accentuates the noise then settles back into this pattern. The noise worries me like hell cus my friends GTI is very Quiet and I planned on going stage one once the warranty is up. The way the Transmission is sounding is making me think twice about that. VWoA said their Tech thinks its input shaft bearing given my description. I've wasted 1200 miles driving to my dealer and back as well as 7 hours each time as its a 2 hour drive each direction and they usually spend 3 hours with it.
Mr. Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 07:47 PM   #9
Mr. Bubbles
Member
 
Drives: 2016 Golf GTI se MK7 w/PP and LP
Location: Springfield Il
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
Just watched the vid. If it's doing that in neutral it's either clutch chatter or something's wrong.
That is what I was thinking, but It sounds the worst by the drivers wheel which is closer to the transmission and the further under the car it gets fainter.
Mr. Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:17 PM   #10
tmw2442
Senior Member
 
Drives: Mk7 R
Location: SC
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 511
Sounds fairly normal to me...but it's always difficult to tell from a video recording.
tmw2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:37 PM   #11
wakey1512
Junior Member
 
Drives: GTD MK7
Location: Lincolnshire
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 11
Smile

Are you sure it's not clutch release bearing noise or (if fitted) dual mass flywheel? I understand your theory of gearbox input shaft but if the bearing was in a bad enough way to make this noise either from itself or gear noise you would expect fluid leak into the bell housing.
wakey1512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 03:33 PM   #12
Mr. Bubbles
Member
 
Drives: 2016 Golf GTI se MK7 w/PP and LP
Location: Springfield Il
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey1512 View Post
Are you sure it's not clutch release bearing noise or (if fitted) dual mass flywheel? I understand your theory of gearbox input shaft but if the bearing was in a bad enough way to make this noise either from itself or gear noise you would expect fluid leak into the bell housing.
That is a good point, but as far as clutch release bearing doesn't that typically squeals as you disengage the clutch? The rattle is occurring when in neutral with the clutch engaged(Pedal is Up). As the clutch disengages(Pedal Pressed) the noise quiets down, but as soon as the transmission shaft starts spinning(Clutch engages and pedal is released) again it's knocking.
Mr. Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 04:25 PM   #13
wakey1512
Junior Member
 
Drives: GTD MK7
Location: Lincolnshire
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bubbles View Post
That is a good point, but as far as clutch release bearing doesn't that typically squeals as you disengage the clutch? The rattle is occurring when in neutral with the clutch engaged(Pedal is Up). As the clutch disengages(Pedal Pressed) the noise quiets down, but as soon as the transmission shaft starts spinning(Clutch engages and pedal is released) again it's knocking.
Usually when the release bearing is noisy it's worst engaged as the bearing is spinning on the pressure plate loosely. When disengaged the bearing is pressing the pressure plate and the compression on the bearing takes the free play out and can quieten the noise significantly.

Regardless of the cause removal of the gearbox will confirm whichever the cause is. It's just having the justification to pull it. Perhaps let it develop
wakey1512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:55 PM   #14
Mr. Bubbles
Member
 
Drives: 2016 Golf GTI se MK7 w/PP and LP
Location: Springfield Il
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey1512 View Post
Usually when the release bearing is noisy it's worst engaged as the bearing is spinning on the pressure plate loosely. When disengaged the bearing is pressing the pressure plate and the compression on the bearing takes the free play out and can quieten the noise significantly.

Regardless of the cause removal of the gearbox will confirm whichever the cause is. It's just having the justification to pull it. Perhaps let it develop
That does make sense, I do know that my noise is worst in summer as the lubricants are thinner. I'm not sure there is anything I can do to make them have the justification and they keep maintaining that this is a normal noise. Im not sold on that as my friends isn't half as bad as mine. I have also noticed alot of times when I go to disengage from being in gear there is a rather large clash as the load is taken off, as well as periods of time where
it seems to require more effort to shift or doesn't shift as smooth, but that could be normal for all I know. I just know that the noise is getting more noticeable. I kinda wish it would just seize so they have to drop it out haha.
Mr. Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 12:03 AM   #15
Mr. Bubbles
Member
 
Drives: 2016 Golf GTI se MK7 w/PP and LP
Location: Springfield Il
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 52
Update, when I took it in last week the tech heard the noise and attributed it to a bad input shaft bearing. So far a new transmission has been ordered and will arrive in 6 to 8 weeks! After a year of going nearly insane and 6 visits to the dealer my problem should be solved!
Mr. Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 01:19 AM   #16
armedferret
Senior Member
 
armedferret's Avatar
 
Drives: 17 SE DSG NBM
Location: Maryland
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bubbles View Post
Update, when I took it in last week the tech heard the noise and attributed it to a bad input shaft bearing. So far a new transmission has been ordered and will arrive in 6 to 8 weeks! After a year of going nearly insane and 6 visits to the dealer my problem should be solved!
Glad to hear man.

LONG ago I had a 92 integra. Lost a bearing on the input shaft driving from the twin cities back to central iowa.

That was a really long tow. And a really bad day.
armedferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 01:22 AM   #17
Oldschoolmk7
Senior Member
 
Oldschoolmk7's Avatar
 
Drives: Mk7 GTI
Location: Yonder
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,540
Over 14k miles and have owned car since new and zero rattle. Glad dealer is sorting it out for you.
__________________
2016 GTI S 2 door, stage .5, gonzo
2018 Mustang GT, 10r80, pp, Unleashed tuning 93P, Flex fuel, full E85,
Oldschoolmk7 is online now   Reply With Quote

Reply

Tags
noise, transmission

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.