GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Volkswagen GTI / Golf MK7 General Topics > GTI & Golf MK7 General Discussions

Old 12-10-2017, 03:27 PM   #52
golfdave

Drives: Defensively, avoiding all the other idiots!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finglonga View Post
Yes it is.....From the brochure.....
That's because the marketing men create BS & dumb down to sell it to joe public....as it is easier to sell it as an LSD than an "Electrohydraulic front differential lock" which is the correct technical description...

That's why there so much heated discussions...the VW mechanical side describe it correctly & so do the makers.....

Just the market BS men get hold of & FUBAR things...like many things in this day in age...
golfdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:33 PM   #53
heiney9

Drives: 2017 - GTi Sport -DSG & 2009 GTi -TSI DSG
A) marketing people don't really write owners manuals. B) it works like a limited slip diff, but you say it can't be called one.

I call BS.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:59 PM   #54
golfdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
A) marketing people don't really write owners manuals. B) it works like a limited slip diff, but you say it can't be called one.

I call BS.
Here we go again...

The term LSD (limited slip differential) has been around for decades (circa 1950's)...& way before any fancy clutch pack electrohydraulic stuff..

Therefore the definition has actually been defined for decades in mechanical terminology & dictionaries...

& is thus usually described as a device having one input shaft & two output shafts with the "limited slip" part in-between...

Why the GTI PP FXD is not an LSD:-
1. Only one input shaft & one output shaft
2. Is fitted AFTER the existing "open differential", therefore if it was an LSD you would not have the existing open diff, as an LSD replaces the open diff.
3. Is electrically based, & heavily reliant on the ABS unit & sensors, ESC units & sensors. Get a failure in the electronics board or one of these units & bye bye FXD! An LSD does not rely on electronics or other systems, no fuse to be pulled on it.
4. The mechanical documentation I referred to previously DOES NOT call it an LSD, they call it by its correct mechanical terminology "Front diff lock, Electrohydraulic front diff lock".

Why you might class it as an LSD & therefore what other systems you must state are LSD also
1. marketing to basically sell anything which can stop one wheel spinning more than the other on the same axle...
2. So that includes EDL (electronic diff lock) & the aforementioned XDS, as that is what these systems do.
3. Wiki lists every type under "limited slip differential"..including the brake based systems mentioned above.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited-slip_differential

Basically in simple terms the FXD is fitted to the driveshaft on the passenger side (USA) after the existing diff & all it does is "lock up" to varying degrees the driveshaft on that side causing the existing open diff between the FXD unit & the gearbox to "lock up". This is why it is correctly called a "front diff lock" in the mechanical papers I mentioned...& NOT an LSD which operates in a different way as it is a self contained unit fitting between the gearbox & the two driveshafts....& contains a "limited slip device"

If you want to carry on stating you have an LSD in your GTI PP, then so do I with my XDS system..in fact my 14yr old VAG car (built 2000) had an LSD then as it had EDL which comes under the brake based LSD systems on wiki...

Last edited by golfdave; 12-10-2017 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:22 PM   #55
oddspyke

Drives: 2016 GTI Autobahn Manual w/PP
Someone posted this video a while back in a different thread I think, but it's relevant to this thread since it explains both how the diff works and the service interval with a picture from the VW service manual for the car.
https://youtu.be/LiUJLN5_le0

Also, did someone seriously spend the time typing all that up just to argue that "limiting slip" and "varying lock" are different? True, the FXD isn't technically an LSD, but it preforms a similar function with broader capabilities. It's also not an open diff, which doesn't lock, or a traditional locking diff, which doesn't have a limited slip function. It does all three things. Let people call it an LSD and move on.
oddspyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 05:37 PM   #56
armedferret

Drives: 17 SE DSG NBM
maybe we should call it an "increased traction electronical thingamajig" and move on with life?

Surely there's larger problems we need to tackle rather than arguing about semantics? I mean, some jerk is using THE C WORD in another thread!!! ZOMG!!
armedferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 05:51 PM   #57
oddspyke

Drives: 2016 GTI Autobahn Manual w/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
maybe we should call it an "increased traction electronical thingamajig" and move on with life?

Surely there's larger problems we need to tackle rather than arguing about semantics? I mean, some jerk is using THE C WORD in another thread!!! ZOMG!!
I was going to suggest "electronically controlled, hydraulically actuated, clutch assisted variable locking differential", or ECHACAVLD for short. Sure it's cumbersome, but think of the technical accuracy!
oddspyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 05:57 PM   #58
golfdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddspyke View Post
Also, did someone seriously spend the time typing all that up just to argue that "limiting slip" and "varying lock" are different? .
NOPE....

.....someone spent time posting up the correct mechanical terminology as used by the engineers at VW & Borg Warner & the actual technical differences,

the above being different to the marketing BS.

Oh and correct technical information is relevant on this forum,....

..anyway masses of threads on here are dedicated to far less important/mechanically relevant & far more stupid stuff...

If you want to bury your head in the sand...fine, but the mechanical engineers & racers/rally lot I know would laugh their heads off if you said to them "I got an LSD as part of the "PP" for my GTI........
Old 12-10-2017, 06:02 PM   #59
golfdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by armedferret View Post
Call it what the manufactures call it ..."Front diff lock"...........which is also a shortened version of what is in the tech manuals
Old 12-10-2017, 06:13 PM   #60
Sandman GTI

Drives: GTI MK7 Autobahn, PP, DCC+LP, 97 F-150 4.6L V8
Bottom line forum members, is thanks for bringing this up.
I checked my manual on page 50 and is does state service at 3 years.
No mention of miles.
So I will plan on my 50,000 service in about 5,000 which will fall close to 3 years.
I will need to show dealer the page so they can prepare for work if not known by mechanics.

If anyone works on before, please make a DIY post with pics on fill and drain locations, oil and amount would be good for others.

What ever it is, I have one and will maintain it.

Thanks.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:18 PM   #61
heiney9

Drives: 2017 - GTi Sport -DSG & 2009 GTi -TSI DSG
Quote:
Here we go again..
Right? And the definition for systems like this never change with technology. Since it's not from the 50's, then it can't be called an lsd? BS. By the very meaning of the 3 words, the PP uses a limited slip diff. Now if one wants to further explain how it functions compared to other lsd's, knock yourself out. But it's still an lsd.

Stop being so anal you could make diamonds.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:23 PM   #62
golfdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
Right? And the definition for systems like this never change with technology. Since it's not from the 50's, then it can't be called an lsd? BS. By the very meaning of the 3 words, the PP uses a limited slip diff. Now if one wants to further explain how it functions compared to other lsd's, knock yourself out. But it's still an lsd.

Stop being so anal you could make diamonds.
I like the fact you purposely do not quote the section in that post where I state why you might call it an LSD & the link to the wiki page on LSD's.

The VW engineers docs & makers don't call it an LSD for a very good reason which I explained...

keep burying your head in the sand.....

Last edited by golfdave; 12-10-2017 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:48 PM   #63
golfdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman GTI View Post
Bottom line forum members, is thanks for bringing this up.
I checked my manual on page 50 and is does state service at 3 years.
No mention of miles.
So I will plan on my 50,000 service in about 5,000 which will fall close to 3 years.
I will need to show dealer the page so they can prepare for work if not known by mechanics.

If anyone works on before, please make a DIY post with pics on fill and drain locations, oil and amount would be good for others.

What ever it is, I have one and will maintain it.

Thanks.
As I stated in a previous post on this thread:-

Quote from the VW workshop manuals "oil change every 3yrs regardless of mileage"

quantity 570ml (+ or - 30ml)...

Oil must be 20C to 40C & you got to use a funnel & tube to fill it.....

renew both the oil drain plug & o ring washer if fitted....15Nm torque

thats just the main highlights from the workshop manuals....
Old 12-10-2017, 07:06 PM   #64
Sandman GTI

Old video.
FYI info.

https://youtu.be/s6oN0FV1vKo
Old 12-10-2017, 07:07 PM   #65
Sandman GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfdave View Post

Quote from the VW workshop manuals "oil change every 3yrs regardless of mileage"

Thanks.
Next time under I will look around.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:36 PM   #66
armedferret

Drives: 17 SE DSG NBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfdave View Post

Smashing, thank you sir!
armedferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:44 PM   #67
bluedoggiant

Drives: '17 Night Blue Autobahn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twist View Post
I know some guys who have never had lsd service. The reason vw doesn't push is because the service is literally a huge cost leech to them. It's not in their business to push lsd service as a lot of owners won't notice it's lack of running 100% and probably is top 5% in terms of a maintenance item cost.

What do you mean not running 100%.

If mechanical damage occurs it will rear itís end, how will owners not notice that.
bluedoggiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:51 PM   #68
Sweetjones_29

Drives: 2017 GTI SE DSG
Would it be better to buy a S then buy a lsd or does the FXD do just as good of job?
Sweetjones_29 is online now   Reply With Quote