GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tomioka IHX600 VS. EQT Vortex

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
A good amount?

Anyways the 600 is completely different, to they point they couldnt rebuild my 475 into one.

This is interesting since EQT has been able to use the bigger housing with his turbo. Maybe they are spec'd more similarly compared to the 475? I was also told by one of Tomioka's distributors when the IHX600 first came out that the housings were swapable. I guess they were wrong or someone is just trying to sell the complete IHX600.

Either way, I'd try to talk to a Tomioka distributor or Ed (EQT) regarding seeing if the housing can be swapped out.

Edit: Now that I read your post again you aren't just talking about housings but complete IHX600 so if specs are truly different then rebuild probably can't be done. But if you want to get about 20whp more but sacrafice some spool I think housing switch is a possibility.

pdisguise

Go Kart Newbie
Housings/parts can’t be swapped at all. I was initially inquiring about swapping housings. I talked to them about upgrading mine. Now on the fence about getting the 600.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
Housings/parts can’t be swapped at all. I was initially inquiring about swapping housings. I talked to them about upgrading mine. Now on the fence about getting the 600.

But Ed was able to swap housings on his turbo. EQT and Tomi are essentially the same except the EQT has slightly bigger compressor. Maybe that difference makes the swap possible?

pdisguise

Go Kart Newbie
Idk, they just told me that I can’t swap housings, can’t completely upgrade the turbo, and they offer no trade in program.

“The IHX600 has a bigger shaft and different wheel blade profile.”

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
Idk, they just told me that I can’t swap housings, can’t completely upgrade the turbo, and they offer no trade in program.

“The IHX600 has a bigger shaft and different wheel blade profile.”

They have also said their turbos are built in the USA which is obviously not true. Also the specs on their site between the IHX475 and IHX600 are exactly the same except for the 2cm^2 bigger housing of the IHX600. So basically I'd take what they say with a little bit of scrutiny.

pdisguise

Go Kart Newbie
No clue on the comment about where the parts were made and where the turbo was built/assembled if in the same country or not. All I have is the direct information from them.

Calkulin

Ready to race!
Getting tuned at WolfCars? Jeff did my rabbit there back in 2010.

That area of Miami should have a bunch of shops nearby, some of which I would have no doubt can dyno. Otherwise, USP is in Coral Springs, which is on the way up, and they've got a dynojet.

Yeah Wolf is where I'm going, I'll call around tomorrow to see. USP is on the way up, so I just might go there if they aren't super expensive

pdisguise

Go Kart Newbie
I asked UM if I could run at least E30 with the walbro 525 and he said not without MPI, so I'll look to do that in the next week months

Make sure to post the results in the IHX475 thread. She what they think the turbo is capable of with a fuel system and full e85. Considering selling my 475 to buy a fuel system, and picking up the 600.

Calkulin

Ready to race!
Having a hard time finding a dyno down there. USP said they won't do it, I guess it's for their own use or dyno days, others are either too afraid to touch an Audi, are well into the $100s for 3 pulls or are too far off the highway :confused:

Might have to wait till I get back to central FL and go on the weekend to take my cousins big turbo Focus ST also

Calkulin

Ready to race!
The dyno will have to come probably next week as we ran into a slight fueling issue with the new LPFP pump, so UM didn't turn the boost up all the way, it's at ~27 psi now but I need to look at the fuel pump before we see what more is left with 93 only

805mk7gti

Ready to race!
The dyno will have to come probably next week as we ran into a slight fueling issue with the new LPFP pump, so UM didn't turn the boost up all the way, it's at ~27 psi now but I need to look at the fuel pump before we see what more is left with 93 only

What issue are you having with the walbro 525?

Calkulin

Ready to race!
What issue are you having with the walbro 525?

Fred @ UM just said it wasn't behaving properly, so my guess is that the basket is not holding the fuel properly or it could be there's an slight issue with a feed line. I don't think it's directly related to the pump itself