GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Baffling a steel oil pan?

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, but I thought oil pan baffling would be most applicable to tracking the car. My apologizes if this isn't the correct spot.

Has anyone had some basic baffling welded in a steel oil pan? Since I plan on replacing the plastic pan with a steel one, I thought while it's fresh and clean prior to installation would be the ideal time to have it done.

I only plan on tracking a few times a year, so I'm not looking into anything too complicated like the iAbed pan, but maybe similar to or a little more than the Wortec or ECS pan. Am I just wasting my time? Would this do anything? Is it worth putting more time into researching?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
For oil starvation issues it seems like a catch can (with a proper “Africa plate”) would be the first preventive step. To even justify that you’ve gotta be running sticky tires as pulling some serious sustained Gs

Oil pan baffling wouldn’t hurt, but it also isn’t as easy as just send it out and have some welded in. Whoever’s doing the fabrication would need to check clearances to ensure it’ll all work out...can’t just zap some in there and hope for the best.

I’m sure someone with track experience will chime in, but I’d suggest saving the money towards brake fluid, pads, tires, and more track time

Swoope

Ready to race!
yea,

not needed unless you are on r compound tires and are really good.

i am very very ok. and on 200tw tires, track front pads, and rsb. not an issue.

btw, everything i passed or was passed by in this session was on R compound tires except the camaro and the vette. i got buy the vette later in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVwt1rkg-BY

honestly, if you have not done a track day you can not spend a cent till you get out of novice. and you will learn faster.

beers

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
Good to know, thanks for the feedback to both of you!

Just thinking of preventative measures since the pan isn't on the car yet, but seems like it's a waste of time to pursue any further.

For oil starvation issues it seems like a catch can (with a proper “Africa plate”) would be the first preventive step. To even justify that you’ve gotta be running sticky tires as pulling some serious sustained Gs

Oil pan baffling wouldn’t hurt, but it also isn’t as easy as just send it out and have some welded in. Whoever’s doing the fabrication would need to check clearances to ensure it’ll all work out...can’t just zap some in there and hope for the best.

I’m sure someone with track experience will chime in, but I’d suggest saving the money towards brake fluid, pads, tires, and more track time

I thought the catch cans were to prevent flooding of the PCV, not to prevent oil starvation?

Already have Castrol SRF (FCP euro lifetime warranty FTW) and some Ferodos w/ titanium shims. But could always use more tires and track time! :D

yea,

not needed unless you are on r compound tires and are really good.

i am very very ok. and on 200tw tires, track front pads, and rsb. not an issue.

btw, everything i passed or was passed by in this session was on R compound tires except the camaro and the vette. i got buy the vette later in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVwt1rkg-BY

honestly, if you have not done a track day you can not spend a cent till you get out of novice. and you will learn faster.

beers

I'm still a novice with only a few track days under my belt. Some on a full stock car, and more recently some with brake pads, fluid, and a JB4 in map 1. I'm very very far off from really good or very very okay. My times were midpack of the low-intermediate group, but I think a lot of that is the car, not me. I know the car is faster than I am, so I'm not looking to make the car go faster, but as you say I need to learn more and make me faster.

Swoope

Ready to race!

Just thinking of preventative measures since the pan isn't on the car yet, but seems like it's a waste of time to pursue any further.

I thought the catch cans were to prevent flooding of the PCV, not to prevent oil starvation?

Already have Castrol SRF (FCP euro lifetime warranty FTW) and some Ferodos w/ titanium shims. But could always use more tires and track time! :D

I'm still a novice with only a few track days under my belt. Some on a full stock car, and more recently some with brake pads, fluid, and a JB4 in map 1. I'm very very far off from really good or very very okay. My times were midpack of the low-intermediate group, but I think a lot of that is the car, not me. I know the car is faster than I am, so I'm not looking to make the car go faster, but as you say I need to learn more and make me faster.

i would suggest staying on 300tw tires for a while. you learn the car, and really learn how to drive..

as to brake fluid i am going to change out the stock fluid for ate 200. i cooked the fluid at sebring. i might be really very very very ok.

but i rarely give point bys to anything other than race cars, and people on rcompond tires. its just not fair for the latter. i am on a budget! :)

if you watched the sebring video. the vette and the camaro that went by. i passed the vette later in the day.

point is only upgrade when you are able to effectively use the up grades. if you do it before you will mask your learning curve..

how i know this. my first track event was with kinda fully prepped rx8.

i have a friend that i talked into the hpde thing. i made him do it right. after 2 years. he is at the same level it took me to get in 5 years.

seat time is more valuable than mods.

here is a session with a first time rider. so i was at 95% at most. i know this as i went off every other session of the day.. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmoJ5kHDCmY

this is the what we call inter2. passing anywhere with a point by. just like advanced, but without the stupid silly fast closing speed cars.

i am happy to help. pm me.

beers

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
as to brake fluid i am going to change out the stock fluid for ate 200. i cooked the fluid at sebring.

Go with Castrol SRF, much better than ATE200 also much more expensive. I was using ATE for a while switching to SRF this next season with my new build.

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
What tires and pads are you running that you need to go with SRF? Or did you leave the dust shields on? :p

Swoope

Ready to race!
Go with Castrol SRF, much better than ATE200 also much more expensive. I was using ATE for a while switching to SRF this next season with my new build.

yep,

i am a budget tracker, as soon as i have a fail with the ate200 i will move up. but after 10 years. i am just pissed of it is not blue anymore. :)

beers

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

Correct, but once it’s in the PCV system the oils getting burned off so it kind of comes full circle. Less oil in the system is never good

Again I don’t think catch cans are necessary unless you’re advanced and running some pretty sticky tires

Swoope

Ready to race!
Correct, but once it’s in the PCV system the oils getting burned off so it kind of comes full circle. Less oil in the system is never good

Again I don’t think catch cans are necessary unless you’re advanced and running some pretty sticky tires

i will go a bit further than that. you need to be advanced on 100tw or R compound tires for it to maybe necessary.

or a beginner on Rcomps. you would be shocked at how often this happens and what they do.. :)

beers

burgerkong

Drag Racing Champion
Was talking to Issam about this (iABED) as I didn't want to shell out that much for it. He told me you can't fit a decent baffle into the OEM pan (I had inquired about him doing a weld in kit like Moroso offers for the S2K).

Look into getting an Accusump/oil accumulator setup.