GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R vs Civic Type-R (and a few others) Half Mile

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
I know one of the the UM test mules for launch control, its an Iroz car and its been through 2 transmissions now.

Hard pass on anything UM.

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
I know one of the the UM test mules for launch control, its an Iroz car and its been through 2 transmissions now.

Hard pass on anything UM.

Has nothing to do with the tune, it's the limitations of the transmission. It's a pretty well known fact that if you run more than 450lbs of torque on the dq250 it's a matter of time before it goes boom. If you want to save your transmission, get the flat torque file. If you want to run more torque with a built motor, you need to shell out the cash for a dq500 swap. Also the dq381 on the mk7.5 should handle a touch more torque as well.

Last edited:

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Has nothing to do with the tune, it's the limitations of the transmission. It's a pretty well known fact that if you run more than 450lbs of torque on the dq250 it's a matter of time before it goes boom. If you want to save your transmission, get the flat torque file. If you want to run more torque with a built motor, you need to shell out the cash for a dq500 swap. Also the dq381 on the mk7.5 should handle a touch more torque as well.

410 flat torque file, transmission still went boom twice even with upgrade clutch packs.

That DSG tune is no where near ready for prime time in its current state.

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
410 flat torque file, transmission still went boom twice even with upgrade clutch packs.

I make 400lbs of torque on my is38 flex tune and my transmission is doing just fine with 21k+ on the clock

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
I make 400lbs of torque on my is38 flex tune and my transmission is doing just fine with 21k+ on the clock

The IS38 can't flatline the torque curve like the Xona 6564, the shifts were downright violent in that car and not optimized for the higher power/torque of the Iroz built engine for sure.

The shifts felt slammed/rushed with the UM DSG tune, maybe your file is different?

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
My car is a manual so not concerned about any of this dsg drama.

So pretty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandbagger1

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Had a couple of runs against a similarly modded type-r today at a half mile event. Also ran: 370Z, GT350, 04 ST, Jeep SRT, 135i probably a few others I forgot? It was 90-95 degrees all day and the car was heat soaking pretty bad. More footage coming.

Fastlax16, interesting races. Good to see that you’re still competing in the half miles. Mustang outcomes are disappointing but your new turbo should help with that. The old RSX-S is still faster than my GTI’s current build but no match to yours.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
Fastlax16, interesting races. Good to see that you’re still competing in the half miles. Mustang outcomes are disappointing but your new turbo should help with that. The old RSX-S is still faster than my GTI’s current build but no match to yours.

I expected to get walked by the gt350, the mustang gt was disappointing. He was only trapping 2-3 mph faster than I was. Adds up over the half mile.

Turbo goes on tomorrow so we will see how I do on July 1st. Slightly different event setup, digs only. Car should set some nice trap speeds if I don’t destroy the clutch. (There’s a good chance I destroy the clutch).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion

What are you talking about, UM was the one of the first to offer dsg tuning, many many years ago, they are more than proven in the vdub community and most who have jumped around with tuners would say that their dsg tune is the standard that every other dsg tune is measured by. The fact you know a guy with a big turbo who’s blown his trans twice means nothing, what exactly was he doing, leaving at 20+psi multiple times on slicks dead hooking on a prepped surface? Race fuel? Race tune? Does he have the adjustable cable? Did UM’s tuning blow his trans or did he make aggressive adjustments to launch boost, rpm, whatever trying to run whatever halo number he was going for? Yep he’s going to find the weak link, shocker, doubling the power and only changing clutch packs wasn’t enough.

I’m running their big turbo dsg tune on a bone stock dsg trans and have had zero issues, probably not launching as much as your friend and on street tires, but it leaves hard at its most aggressive launch at 4500 rpm and 11-12 psi and nothing’s broken yet, that’s besides all the launches when it was “just” stage 2, if you’re not a fan of UM that’s fine, but to state that their dsg tune isn’t ready for prime time because you know a guy who’s obviously really pushing his r and zero information shared on exactly how hard is laughable, there are plenty of satisfied UM customers, and why wouldn’t he have built/changed out the trans after he broke the first one, especially running a badass iroz turbo kit, why wouldn’t you want the full hit?

Last edited: