GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone retrofitted Sat Nav to their Mk7?

Baz_doc1

Hey guys,

Have read alot of posts about this but can't manage to find many that have actually managed to do this?

Has anyone been able to retrofit Sat Nav to their Mk7?

adam1991

Banned
bah. Built in sat-nav are, overall, stupid.

I have it, and don't use it. A $100 refurbished Garmin on the dash is incredibly more capable and useful.

I never touch it. I talk to it, like normal humans talk, and it does exactly what I want it to do. The factory stuff can't compare. It's a waste of time.

The Garmin stuff is so good, in fact, that the new Honda Odyssey uses it. I have to imagine other new Hondas use it.

marvin1

Ready to race!
Appreciate that but I REALLY want OEM nav in my car lol

Believe us you don't . It looks the Bee's knees etc but it's too low down and plots absurd routes involving country lanes and often ignoring the most obvious main roads. I have the basic one in my MK7 and it's OK that's all .
The day cars install Google maps in cars then that will be the day and with live traffic updates as well.
My Tom Tom Live 5000 has live traffic for life and shows traffic hold-ups and roads that are closed etc. The VW system shows nowt like that.:eek::mad:

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Appreciate that but I REALLY want OEM nav in my car lol

Yep! MIB1 Composition Media upgraded to a MIB2 Discover Nav Pro.

Was about £1,250 including trims and additional wiring harnesses.

Worth it? Meh.. the big screen is nice, I sometimes use Android Auto on a long journey, and I'll occasionally use the inbuilt navigation. Was it REALLY worth £1,250? Probably not - it's nice though!

Cons? About 14 different faults get thrown in VCDS due to the component protection removal, so taking it to a VW dealer results in an angry phone call demanding you remove the infotainment and bring it back (c'mon now..)

Coding can be a bit fucky too if you get a hacked unit - the English version of VCDS still doesn't have an .ROD file that works with mine.. but the German version does :confused:

Don't bother unless you REALLY want Android Auto / Apple CarPlay.

Baz_doc1

Thanks for the replies guys, IVMTom sent u a PM if you don't mind.

It seems like ALOT of cost and hassle :( but i really want it lol I retrofitted sat nav to a number of MK6's and caddys etc but this seems like a whole new level with component protection etc

Just would love to talk with someone who has done it and get advice

emz_98

Passed Driver's Ed
Yep! MIB1 Composition Media upgraded to a MIB2 Discover Nav Pro.

Was about £1,250 including trims and additional wiring harnesses.

Worth it? Meh.. the big screen is nice, I sometimes use Android Auto on a long journey, and I'll occasionally use the inbuilt navigation. Was it REALLY worth £1,250? Probably not - it's nice though!

Cons? About 14 different faults get thrown in VCDS due to the component protection removal, so taking it to a VW dealer results in an angry phone call demanding you remove the infotainment and bring it back (c'mon now..)

Coding can be a bit fucky too if you get a hacked unit - the English version of VCDS still doesn't have an .ROD file that works with mine.. but the German version does :confused:

Don't bother unless you REALLY want Android Auto / Apple CarPlay.

Can you get Dealer to do this for you or do you have to go to someone else?

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Can you get Dealer to do this for you or do you have to go to someone else?

I don't think a dealer would be happy installing a hacked unit, although, that's not to say there aren't any about who would take your money just to plug it in - really though, it's not a hard job to do yourself; takes about half an hour to do the full install, then maybe 5 minutes to code anything in.

Storm19999

Passed Driver's Ed
Nav.

I’ve got a gtd 2016 mk7 and fitted the later touch screen and aid
Won’t let me upload pics ad my iPhone file is to big
You can get nav retro fitted kenwood likes to yours operated through screen
Or I believe up grade from accessories book from memory
800 for new 5f and programming much better unit for
Find your codes and buy a second hand one.
I’m a year in to working at vw and all the guys there just go Elsa says no
Can’t be done. Well I’ve dont it and also I’ve got
Remap 225bhp
Dynamic lights
Audi RS 8 pot calipers
370 mm wavy front and rear RS genuine discs
Full size spare wheel.
App connect.

QUOTE=Baz_doc;624102]Hey guys,

Have read alot of posts about this but can't manage to find many that have actually managed to do this?

Has anyone been able to retrofit Sat Nav to their Mk7?[/QUOTE]

JBR1

Passed Driver's Ed
Why bother with SatNav?

Everyone has a smartphone these days. Just plug it into the display (APP) and use Google Maps.

We have an SE NAV. The NAV display is OK, but traffic flow image is far superior using Google Maps: the NAV only shows traffic flow on motorways and some major roads; Google Maps includes all but the smallest side roads.

marvin1

Ready to race!
Why bother with SatNav?

Everyone has a smartphone these days. Just plug it into the display (APP) and use Google Maps.

We have an SE NAV. The NAV display is OK, but traffic flow image is far superior using Google Maps: the NAV only shows traffic flow on motorways and some major roads; Google Maps includes all but the smallest side roads.

BiB. Explain further. What is APP? How would one do this on my MK7 with basic Satnav provided.
The idea of trailing leads to use a phone doesn't seem all that appealing although realise the benefits of Google maps. Anyway I have a nice Tom Tom Go 5000 with live traffic updates which I can use but again needs a power feed which isn't very pretty.

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
I use Sygic on my Smart phone. Had it for years dirt cheap and excellent.

Agree Sygic. Run it on Hudl2 on top of dash. Lifetime updates for not a lot of dosh. Way cheaper than OEM update discs. And can take tablet out of car to look at next day's route etc.

Mk5Dom

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2.0 TDI CRBC