GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to: Twist's Air Scoop/Eventuri install

Defiler

Passed Driver's Ed
I wasn't planning on doing a "how to" but figured since I took the pics, I might as well. Here goes!

This is for the Air Scoop/Eventuri Twist offered in his thread located HERE. This is the way I installed it. You may (and most likely) have a better way. No worries! I welcome all constructive criticism as I'm always willing to learn.

First thing I did was line up the holes and get an idea for where to make cuts by marking the area with a pencil. Then took the two T-25 screws out of the grill and popped it off.

I wanted the lines to curve with the curve in the grill. So, I used a compass to get the lines I wanted.

I just winged it as far as how close to the front of the grill I wanted. I figured close enough to let a good amount of air in, but not so close that it degrades the rigidity of the plastic.

Dremel time!

I did a rough cut using a dremel and cutting disc making sure not to go past the intersecting lines causing unsightly cut marks. I somewhat avoided that. :(

Here's the initial rough cut.

I didn't cut the rear line back far enough the first time and had to redraw the line and cut a couple more times to get the right distance for the scoop to sit flush. Which is better than cutting more off than you need to. ;)

Here it is cleaned up a bit using a blade, file and dremel sanding cylinder.

Once I got the hole cleaned up and fitted the scoop properly, I fastened it to the grill with the supplied hardware (more on that below) and here is the final result.

A few things to mention...

• The rear cut should have been straight and not curved to match the bend line of the scoop. I think this will make it sit flush and closer to the back ridge of the grill resulting in a cleaner look.
  • I had to bend the scoop a little bit to make it fit properly. This is mentioned in Twist's thread and was expected. Threw it in a table vice and went to town.
  • The included hardware should have included washers for the T-Nut on the underside of the scoop as it stuck up past the scoop on the top preventing a tight fit. Not a big deal...I just cut the T-Nut down with my dremel.
All in all I think the result of my install is good, but I eventually plan to take it off and do a few things...
  • Recut the rear line so it's straight to make the scoop sit flush.
  • Clean up the cut lines even more.
  • Flatten the top lip of the scoop more to get the few waves out
  • Repaint the scoop because I took some of the black paint off while it was in the vice.
If you're looking for a very nice looking air scoop and don't mind a little tweaking, I would recommend picking this one up from Twist.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Looks great man! Thanks for posting this. We will be sending extra washers too now with the kits just in case others want more clamping force.

Cheers

Snitt

Ready to race!
Has anybody had any issues with water? It seems like that design would send rain water right into the airbox.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Has anybody had any issues with water? It seems like that design would send rain water right into the airbox.

Nope it doesn't even get two inches into the front part of the intake even during heavy storms. I've been running for over a year with no issues. It would have to defeat a lot of gravity just to even make it in there let alone to the free floating filter...

burbank2broward

Go Kart Champion
Cutting the grille was harder than I originally thought. I had to use a hacksaw and really put some pressure to get it cut.

As far as rain is concerned, it has not stopped raining in Florida for about a week now... I have not noticed any water getting into the intake. Also, I cleaned my car twice since installing and I have yet to notice any water getting into the system. Especially when the hood is closed, I don't see water running up and in.

Defiler

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the props.

No water issues with mine so far and it has seen a lot of rain.

B2B, where in Broward do you live? I grew up in Miami, then Aventura, then Pembroke Pines. Lived down there for over 20 years before moving to Tampa.

burbank2broward

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the props.

No water issues with mine so far and it has seen a lot of rain.

B2B, where in Broward do you live? I grew up in Miami, then Aventura, then Pembroke Pines. Lived down there for over 20 years before moving to Tampa.

Right not I live in Coconut Creek, grew up in Burbank, California then moved to Ft Lauderdale. Tampa huh? I like Tampa, my wife is from there! We are even considering moving out there soon.

Defiler

Passed Driver's Ed
Right not I live in Coconut Creek, grew up in Burbank, California then moved to Ft Lauderdale. Tampa huh? I like Tampa, my wife is from there! We are even considering moving out there soon.
I kinda figured from your user name. :) I'm really in Temple Terrace, but it's a smaller city within Tampa. Lived here since '96. My family and I like it but we're ready for a change and are looking at the North West part of the US. Would just like more outdoorsy stuff like mountains for hiking, mountain biking and skiing/snowboarding. A change in humidity wouldn't hurt either. ;)

Snitt

Ready to race!
Nope it doesn't even get two inches into the front part of the intake even during heavy storms. I've been running for over a year with no issues. It would have to defeat a lot of gravity just to even make it in there let alone to the free floating filter...

Awesome! That's a very clever design, but the possibility of water in the intake was the only thing that gave me pause.