GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tires

GTI210

Ready to race!
Do y'all just run all-seasons year round? If so, what kind? I'm looking at Contis and Michellins. Assuming winter tires aren't needed in Texas.

What about wheels? Thinking of keeping my Austin's for the few weeks of "winter" but not sure if it's worth it.

TroyI

Ready to race!
When my current tires wear out up front, I'll be switching to Pilot Super Sports. Need better launch traction. Might switch earlier and use the current fronts to replace the rears when they wear out.

Sub-to-Dub

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport 6MT
I assume you're asking about all-seasons since it gets too cold where you are for summer tires all year? I'm also assuming you're after performance all-seasons. I'd recommend doing a search as there are lots of threads on tire choices already.

You'll likely get a lot of recommendations for both the Continental DWS06 and Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ tires on here. For good reason because they're both great performance all-season options.

From my experience, the Continentals have the edge in wet/light snow traction and the Michelins are better in the dry and have better steering feel. The Michelins are usually more expensive as well.

I kept my Austins and got a set of DWS06s for the light winters we have in the DC area and have summers for the warmer months. Not entirely necessary but having summers is nice.

Last edited:

BananaSlug

Ready to race!
I just got my Conti DWS06 last month and will be running these all year.

GTI210

Ready to race!
I assume you're asking about all-seasons since it gets too cold where you are for summer tires all year? I'm also assuming you're after performance all-seasons. I'd recommend doing a search as there are lots of threads on tire choices already.

You'll likely get a lot of recommendations for both the Continental DWS06 and Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ tires on here. For good reason because they're both great performance all-season options.

From my experience, the Continentals have the edge in wet/light snow traction and the Michelins are better in the dry and have better steering feel. The Michelins are usually more expensive as well.

I kept my Austins and got a set of DWS06s for the light winters we have in the DC area and have summers for the warmer months. Not entirely necessary but having summers is nice.

I'm in Central Texas. Gets below freezing maybe a couple weeks out of the year, icy roads occasionally, light snow once a year if that. Honestly, with my previous vehicles I've just gone with cheap tires but I want to treat the GTI like a princess so wanted to see what others in the SW region ran.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Cheap but good summer tire : Firestone Indy 500 $100 (225/40 R18)
Cheap but good all season : Kumho Ecsta 4x II $115 (225/40 R18)

Honestly, you could probably go with a summer tire in Central Texas and be fine. I choose all season for longevity since I drive over 35k a year.

Go read some Tire Rack test results before deciding. I choose the Kumho's because they were just .01g less than AS3 in lateral grip and very close on dry and wet track times and braking for about 1/3 less price. Also previously had Kumho and Michelin on a previous car and for my driving, felt there was no difference between the 2.

tknj99

Ready to race!
Cheap but good summer tire : Firestone Indy 500 $100 (225/40 R18)
Cheap but good all season : Kumho Ecsta 4x II $115 (225/40 R18)

Honestly, you could probably go with a summer tire in Central Texas and be fine. I choose all season for longevity since I drive over 35k a year.

Go read some Tire Rack test results before deciding. I choose the Kumho's because they were just .01g less than AS3 in lateral grip and very close on dry and wet track times and braking for about 1/3 less price. Also previously had Kumho and Michelin on a previous car and for my driving, felt there was no difference between the 2.

Thanks for this great info.. i will not the Kumho's for A/S replacement when the time comes