GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Has anyone with APR Plus made a warranty claim yet?

33b5e5

Passed Driver's Ed
I searched and found nothing. I'm interested in hearing whether anyone with APR Plus has had to make a powertrain-related warranty claim, and what your experience was like. I'm thinking of taking the plunge.

A few relevant thoughts-

• Yes, the VW powertrain warranty is voided, and an APR warranty is enacted.
  • I'll probably need a new clutch sooner rather than later due to the higher torque.
  • APR Plus is the low torque tune and I could get more power if I just go straight to "real" stage 1 (but I'd like to keep some form of powertrain warranty, so I'm doing the Plus).
  • I could get a JBx and not worry about warranty (not interested in going that route)

:)

Thanks for any experiences you can share!

reallypeacedoff

Ready to race!
I searched and found nothing. I'm interested in hearing whether anyone with APR Plus has had to make a powertrain-related warranty claim, and what your experience was like. I'm thinking of taking the plunge.

A few relevant thoughts-

• Yes, the VW powertrain warranty is voided, and an APR warranty is enacted.
  • I'll probably need a new clutch sooner rather than later due to the higher torque.
  • APR Plus is the low torque tune and I could get more power if I just go straight to "real" stage 1 (but I'd like to keep some form of powertrain warranty, so I'm doing the Plus).
  • I could get a JBx and not worry about warranty (not interested in going that route)

:)

Thanks for any experiences you can share!

I don't have Plus but have Stage 1 HO and it's great! Had a JB1 for 2 years and loved that too. Sold it for about $60 less than I bought it for, so it cost me $30 a year!

For the price of Plus, I dunno whether it's a great deal to be honest. If you are manual, clutch will definitely need to be replaced and no warranty will cover that. If I were you, go Stage 1 or JB1/4 and use the cash saved to buy a new clutch. JB1/4 will probably lose minimal money when you eventually sell it and move to an ECU tune.

How many miles are on your car and have you had any powertrain related problems?

33b5e5

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't have Plus but have Stage 1 HO and it's great! Had a JB1 for 2 years and loved that too. Sold it for about $60 less than I bought it for, so it cost me $30 a year!

For the price of Plus, I dunno whether it's a great deal to be honest. If you are manual, clutch will definitely need to be replaced and no warranty will cover that. If I were you, go Stage 1 or JB1/4 and use the cash saved to buy a new clutch. JB1/4 will probably lose minimal money when you eventually sell it and move to an ECU tune.

How many miles are on your car and have you had any powertrain related problems?

Only 1200 miles so far- so, thank goodness, no problems! :)

I do want to keep a powertrain warranty (APR's, if I do APR Plus) in case something does go wrong eventually. I don't want to have a major failure and have to pay out of pocket.

I fully expect to need to do a clutch upgrade if (or when) it starts to slip, and those funds are in the bank should that occur.

I wonder if not that many people have needed to make a warranty claim with APR Plus yet...? Google, uncharacteristically, yielded nothing in the way of real world experiences. Or maybe the price of Plus has scared people away from it, who knows.

reallypeacedoff

Ready to race!
Only 1200 miles so far- so, thank goodness, no problems! :)

I do want to keep a powertrain warranty (APR's, if I do APR Plus) in case something does go wrong eventually. I don't want to have a major failure and have to pay out of pocket.

I fully expect to need to do a clutch upgrade if (or when) it starts to slip, and those funds are in the bank should that occur.

I wonder if not that many people have needed to make a warranty claim with APR Plus yet...? Google, uncharacteristically, yielded nothing in the way of real world experiences. Or maybe the price of Plus has scared people away from it, who knows.

Honestly dude, haven't heard of anyone so I think you are good. You can't put a price on piece of mind so sounds like Plus is perfect for you. I mean, not many people have reported problems with Stage I or II even, so Plus should be great for you. I took off my JB1 for my 40k and then checked the DSG for errors afterwards, then went Stage I. Going back to stock was horrible, BMW 435s were head to head. Now, stock M3s are toast. Had this car for 4 years and still love it as if it was a day old. No regrets.

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
The price difference between the Stage 1 and Stage 1 Plus is so minimal, why wouldn't you get it.
Its a no brainer, for extended peace of mind on drive train.

MDLBC

Ready to race!
Just to circle back to jack_r’s original question; has anyone filed a claim yet with APR under their warranty? It is a very valid question as I have had a number of warranties in the past where you discover certain things aren’t covered, whether it was a car or a refrigerator.

For example, APR Plus does not cover a manual transmission despite them only using the low torque file:

https://www.goaprplus.com/includes/doc/customer_warranty_booklet.pdf

Would I find the APR Plus warranty a good value, ESPECIALLY if I had the new longer warranty now offered by VW? Absolutely, but what if real world experiences show APR not honoring it as well as one hoped? On the flip side, if jack_r didn’t read the coverage and had clutch slippage, one would have expected him to be disappointed that APR didn’t cover it. Always read extended warranty coverages before buying, regardless of what the item is and especially the sections that detail what is not covered.

Last edited:

33b5e5

Passed Driver's Ed
Honestly dude, haven't heard of anyone so I think you are good. You can't put a price on piece of mind so sounds like Plus is perfect for you. I mean, not many people have reported problems with Stage I or II even, so Plus should be great for you. I took off my JB1 for my 40k and then checked the DSG for errors afterwards, then went Stage I. Going back to stock was horrible, BMW 435s were head to head. Now, stock M3s are toast. Had this car for 4 years and still love it as if it was a day old. No regrets.

That's good to know. The peace of mind definitely has some value. Even though my mk6 GTI was Stage 1 and problem free for almost 100k miles, the R is so new (and has such a good warranty) that the added peace of mind that comes with Plus is worth it!

The way my mk6 GTI transformed with stage 1 was shocking; I can only imagine what the R will do with a tune.

33b5e5

Passed Driver's Ed
Just to circle back to jack_r’s original question; has anyone filed a claim yet with APR under their warranty? It is a very valid question as I have had a number of warranties in the past where you discover certain things aren’t covered, whether it was a car or a refrigerator.

For example, APR Plus does not cover a manual transmission despite them only using the low torque file:

https://www.goaprplus.com/includes/doc/customer_warranty_booklet.pdf

Would I find the APR Plus warranty a good value, ESPECIALLY if I had the new longer warranty now offered by VW? Absolutely, but what if real world experiences show APR not honoring it as well as one hoped? On the flip side, if jack_r didn’t read the coverage and had clutch slippage, one would have expected him to be disappointed that APR didn’t cover it. Always read extended warranty coverages before buying, regardless of what the item is and especially the sections that detail what is not covered.

You hit the nail on the head. I have a tendency to research things to death (which is how I ended up with such a great car! ;)), and that includes the APR warranty. I've read the APR warranty booklet and it seems comprehensive. I would not expect coverage for the clutch. And, although it seems comprehensive, it's difficult to spot something that's been omitted (you can't see what's not there, if you know what I mean). This is why I'm interested in any real world claims.

Due diligence can preemptively cure many headaches.:)

Cool Hand Luke

Passed Driver's Ed
Tune 93 octane High torque Stage 1 at 800 miles, lol went Stage 2 at 9,500 miles. My 2018 DSG Golf R runs like a champ. Stored for winter. Gotta let him rest for the big 2019 year with all the goodies I have [emoji7][emoji7][emoji7]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
Anyone stacking the APR Plus tuna haha