GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Official Unofficial E85 Ethanol Thread

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Found a new station. 14 miles more round trip but can be hit up on the way home from work. $0.60/gallon cheaper too. The withdrawal is real folks.
Lol, test it and run it

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I might upgrade the turbo in the future if I want more power. Might be a good to have the injectors just in case but they are an extra $400, so probably will wait to see if i’ll need them haha.

I haven’t looked much into tuners that can do custom tuning for this. I live in SoCal. Still trying to find options for shops to take the car to. I heard Auto-union tuning in Huntington Beach is a good shop. Not sure if they have custom tuning experience for what I would have planned though.

I have my car at AU at the moment and it was in for a lot of upgrades and they will soon throw it on the dyno and tune it. They use Eurodyne for custom tuning. After talking with Dave before taking my car in I think he could probably tune whatever setup you are running even if he hasn't tuned for it before.

Mine is an FSI built motor, EFR 7163 turbo, Aquamist direct inject with 100% methanol. RS4 injectors with the option of adding a 5th injector. And may go E85 if results don't pan out on 91 + methanol.

You should drop by and talk with Dave and consider them.

krisprz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6spd
I have my car at AU at the moment and it was in for a lot of upgrades and they will soon throw it on the dyno and tune it. They use Eurodyne for custom tuning. After talking with Dave before taking my car in I think he could probably tune whatever setup you are running even if he hasn't tuned for it before.

Mine is an FSI built motor, EFR 7163 turbo, Aquamist direct inject with 100% methanol. RS4 injectors with the option of adding a 5th injector. And may go E85 if results don't pan out on 91 + methanol.

You should drop by and talk with Dave and consider them.

That’s good to hear. I was talking to a GTI owner I ran into yesterday and he was telling that they really know their stuff and I should also talk to Dave.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Alright, I apologize if this question has been answered previously in this thread, but trying to read through 54 pages takes too damn long. So, anyway.

My car is APR Stage 1 tuned, stock powertrain otherwise. Having read about all the benefits of corn fuel I recently put in 2 gallons E85 mixed with 11 gallons 91 for an E20 mix just to feel things out. It did feel like the car was making more torque than usual, although it definitely seemed to idle a little rougher at times, especially on cold starts. I have three questions.

1. If I continue to run an E20 blend, do I need to make any modifications to ensure the car runs/drives fine?

2. Is it pointless to run E20 on an OTS 91 octane tune? As I understand it APR's Stage 1 tune is able to adapt to octane levels between 91-100?

3. IF I can see benefits from running an Ethanol blend, what's the highest I should go on my current tune? E25, E30? Can I stack a JB4 and have a setting for an ethanol blend?

Thanks

Last edited:

CFGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
You can run e30-e40. Anymore is usually not needed. It will clean up any knock and make the car run smoother at load. No real downside other than the hassle and lower fuel mileage. I personally run e30 on a JB4.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
You can run e30-e40. Anymore is usually not needed. It will clean up any knock and make the car run smoother at load. No real downside other than the hassle and lower fuel mileage. I personally run e30 on a JB4.

I would not go over e30 on oem lpfp and hpfp. Car will not like it.

E22 the sweet spot ;)

gti9251

Passed Driver's Ed
If your car is your daily, running anything above E30 starts to get impractical. You'll struggle to get 300 miles out of a tank.

gebrajake

e20 blend

Having still been waiting on a tune for my IHX475, I flashed the 93oct/e20 file instead of the 91oct file I have been running. I have been just doing the math to mix 91 and e85 for the e20 blend. Car seems to have a bit more power, definitely not too noticeable though. Have ordered a fuel-it! analyzer kit so I can figure out what I'm actually putting in the tank..

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
So I’ve been playing around with this the last few weeks. I ran E20 for about two tanks and saw my mpg drop from 34mpg avg to 32. Butt dyno said I was making a little more power. Bumped it up to E30 for two tanks. MPG dropped to 28! Can’t say I felt any more power than E20 but I fucking bussed an modified STI the other night so maybe I am. Going back to straight 91 for probably the next few months while I wait for spring. The real test will be when I get back to the drag strip in the spring, I’ll make sure to post results from that.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
I would love to have access to ethanol.

It's funny, here in Ontario Canada, almost all stations pump a percentage of ethanol, but you can't find E85 anywhere. There are no pumps. Zero. None.

When researching what brand of fuel to use, and at what octane (91 Shell, 93 Esso, 94 Petrocan) and what the percentage of ethanol content each one is, all that you can find is vehemently anti Ethanol info.

Ethanol seems to be the nectar of higher trap speeds, but the only info is how to buy fuel with no ethanol at all.

This includes Evo forums. This includes Corvette forums. This includes Viper forums. This includes Ferrari forums.

I wonder if this is because it's somewhat of a renewable/alternative fuel, and this is just internet politics and/or holdover from old pro-petroleum data? (What?? Renewable fuel???!?!? Get your hands off my freedom Al Gore!!!!)

It seems that many tuners are starting to speak in "ethanol content percentage" rather than Octane. I would love to have access to E85. Failing that, I would love to know the precise ethanol content of the two available Ultra premium fuels. I get neither access to E85 nor specific knowledge of E content.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I would love to have access to ethanol.

It's funny, here in Ontario Canada, almost all stations pump a percentage of ethanol, but you can't find E85 anywhere. There are no pumps. Zero. None.

When researching what brand of fuel to use, and at what octane (91 Shell, 93 Esso, 94 Petrocan) and what the percentage of ethanol content each one is, all that you can find is vehemently anti Ethanol info.

Ethanol seems to be the nectar of higher trap speeds, but the only info is how to buy fuel with no ethanol at all.

This includes Evo forums. This includes Corvette forums. This includes Viper forums. This includes Ferrari forums.

I wonder if this is because it's somewhat of a renewable/alternative fuel, and this is just internet politics and/or holdover from old pro-petroleum data? (What?? Renewable fuel???!?!? Get your hands off my freedom Al Gore!!!!)

It seems that many tuners are starting to speak in "ethanol content percentage" rather than Octane. I would love to have access to E85. Failing that, I would love to know the precise ethanol content of the two available Ultra premium fuels. I get neither access to E85 nor specific knowledge of E content.

Buy a cheap ethanol tester and find out.

https://www.amazon.com/Reusable-Tes...qid=1545166168&sr=8-4&keywords=ethanol+tester

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Lol. Diesel likes cold even less, but we've got plenty of that.

Interesting. Have you ever tried one of those Diggs?
I have one of those, they work great

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk