GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VTT MQB Cast GC Vs Boss 600 dyno

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vargasturbotech

Ready to race!
Matt was nice enough to bring his car down for some back to back testing this morning. Here is what we did, I had our car parked on the dyno, he arrived, I warmed it up and ran it uncorrected. It made 510WHP/442WTQ, immediately after the run it was unstrapped, and his car was pulled on. No changes made to the dyno in any way. Within 5 minutes of running our car, we ran his car it made 464WHP/430WTQ but the big take away was it spooled almost 1000RPM later. We ran 33psi and 17degrees of advance peak. He ran 32psi, and I believe 9 degrees of timing. His car was auto-shifting itself at 7K which why his graphs are short.

At this point, I gave him the keys to our car and said dynos are on thing, go drive it for yourself. He took it out for about 20 minutes and came back thoroughly impressed.

By that time his tuner had time to see the dynos and wanted to make a few changes. I had unstrapped his car but said we can restrap, and run it again no problem, I wanted him to be able to run it as many times as he wanted. For the second run, I know they ran around 13 degrees of timing, not sure what they bumped PSI to if any change. Matt can let you know that, and if the tuner allows can post the log.

That run it made 474WHP/447WTQ 10WHP more peak power, slightly better spool, but still not a huge difference spool wise.

What is below is all the graphs, our run vs his first run in RPM, Speed, and time (time is great for showing time to TQ on a dyno which is not the same as spool, it gives more of a feel to how the car will spool on the street as its how long you are waiting for the boost to come in). The last graph is all 3 runs displaying conditions so you can see they are almost identical.

Time difference to Peak TQ bewteen our run, and his two runs.
Run 1 3.07 Seconds
Run 2 2.28 Seconds

After that same with our run, and his second run overlaid with his first, and ours.

I am sure this isn't going to make everyone happy, people are going to find something to complain about. But the bottom line is a $2000 journal bearing turbo just out spooled a DBB $4000 turbo kit by almost 1000RPM and made more peak power. I have no doubt if he ran 17 degrees it would have made close to the same peak power, but the area under the curve is what makes a car fast, not just a peak dyno number.

Matt's car is on 100% E85, same PR MPI kit as our car, custom Eurodyne tune, etc. This is about as apples to apples between kits as you will get.

One small side note, our car is running 3 yes THREE RS3 coils, and 1 ONE stock coil. Trying to solve the high RPM Misfire we ordered some coils, well they sent us 3 right ones, and one wrong one...:( I have attached a graph (yellow) last as to what our car looks like when it pulls to 7400, I had to turn the boost down to get it to do it, hopefully this final coil will fix it, and we can get it back to the track, and run max boost to 7400...

Take away seems to be, peak power with similar timing would be about the same, but the spool is massively improved with our turbo, which comes at half the cost of the Boss600 kit.

Curious to see what the trolls have to say about this one. Matt please post any details I may have missed, got wrong etc. Also please post your driving impression of the car. Thanks again for coming down sir

Attachments

• VTT Production Vs Boss 600 run 1 3K.jpg
    VTT Production Vs Boss 600 run 1 3K.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 1,377
  • VTT Production Vs Boss 600 run 1 3500.jpg
    VTT Production Vs Boss 600 run 1 3500.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 1,123
  • VTT Production Vs Boss 600 run 1 4K.jpg
    VTT Production Vs Boss 600 run 1 4K.jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 1,043
  • VTT Production Vs Boss 600 run 1 4500.jpg
    VTT Production Vs Boss 600 run 1 4500.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 994
  • VTT Production Vs Boss 600 run 1 70MPH.jpg
    VTT Production Vs Boss 600 run 1 70MPH.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 989
  • VTT Production Vs Boss 600 run 1 TIME.jpg
    VTT Production Vs Boss 600 run 1 TIME.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 997
  • VTT Production Vs Boss 600_3KRPM.jpg
    VTT Production Vs Boss 600_3KRPM.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 984
  • VTT Production Vs Boss 600_3500RPM.jpg
    VTT Production Vs Boss 600_3500RPM.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 971
  • VTT Production Vs Boss 600_4KRPM.jpg
    VTT Production Vs Boss 600_4KRPM.jpg
    332.5 KB · Views: 959
  • VTT Production Vs Boss 600_4500RPM.jpg
    VTT Production Vs Boss 600_4500RPM.jpg
    334.1 KB · Views: 946
  • VTT Production Vs Boss 600_4500RPM_2.jpg
    VTT Production Vs Boss 600_4500RPM_2.jpg
    334.1 KB · Views: 946
  • VTT Production Vs Boss 600 run 2 TIME.jpg
    VTT Production Vs Boss 600 run 2 TIME.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 964
  • VTT Gc Vs Boss 600 all runs conditions.jpg
    VTT Gc Vs Boss 600 all runs conditions.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 1,025
  • IMG_7973.JPG
    IMG_7973.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 1,066

Vargasturbotech

Ready to race!
Tony what plugs are you running?
We have run RS7(didn't like them), NGK Racing R7437-9's (in the car now), and Denso Racing IKH01-24 which are the UM secret sauce plugs (ran these for almost everything, just swapped them out yesterday).

Currently, have the NGK Racing in the car. The three RS3 coils solved most the misfire issues. The cylinder that is misfiring is the one with the stock coil still in it. Soon as we get that swapped should fix the issue. This is common on the BMW's we run to 900WHP+, NGK plugs usually solve it. I was pretty pissed the coils were sent out wrong, weather is perfect today for the track.

When it pulls to 7400 rev limiter it's a thing of beauty... 32 psi here. Can't wait to do this on max boost, we will have the stock motor 1/4mile record as soon as that is sorted.

Attachments

• 7400 32 psi_2.jpg
    7400 32 psi_2.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 928
Last edited:

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
Still not a production turbo on a customer's car.

BUT! The same day comparison on a similarly set up car is very appreciated. This should have been your first post.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

pieguy

Ready to race!
Overall great summary. 2nd run was at 32 psi and 13*, no additional boost. Tony was kind enough to dyno my car for an unbiased comparison and the results were impressive. I think the most important takeaway was both turbos are capable of very similar power, just the difference in spool was very noticeable.

The shop test mule felt fantastic and the spool was much quicker than the boss 600. Overall, the VTT turbo seems like an incredible deal given its capabilities at its price point.

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
We have run RS7(didn't like them), NGK Racing R7437-9's (in the car now), and Denso Racing IKH01-24 which are the UM secret sauce plugs (ran these for almost everything, just swapped them out yesterday).

Currently, have the NGK Racing in the car. The three RS3 coils solved most the misfire issues. The cylinder that is misfiring is the one with the stock coil still in it. Soon as we get that swapped should fix the issue. This is common on the BMW's we run to 900WHP+, NGK plugs usually solve it. I was pretty pissed the coils were sent out wrong, weather is perfect today for the track.

When it pulls to 7400 rev limiter it's a thing of beauty... 32 psi here. Can't wait to do this on max boost, we will have the stock motor 1/4mile record as soon as that is sorted.

Sounds like you have ran through a bunch. Have you tried a non-iridium plug? I'd be curious your thoughts. I run the Brisk ER12S with solid results.

Vargasturbotech

Ready to race!
No offense Matt but I'm kind of disappointed in the BOSS kit. I was expecting to see higher numbers, at least over 500, since it's a BOSS 600 on full E85.
I have posted many times, our dyno reads LOW everyone that comes here to dyno is disappointed. Throw his car on a dyno-com like the other guys do, and it would prob show 525-540WHP. Our car is a beast thanks to UM. They really have this platform sorted. A car is only as good as its tuner, Matt’s car may have more in it, but on his current tune, I think that’s about max he will see I believe.

Last edited:

Vargasturbotech

Ready to race!
Sounds like you have ran through a bunch. Have you tried a non-iridium plug? I'd be curious your thoughts. I run the Brisk ER12S with solid results.
Brisk = garbage. Have tried them on numerous high HP builds. Evetytime I install them the car misfires like crazy. I have thrown multiple sets in the trash.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
I have posted many times, our dyno reads LOW everyone that comes here to dyno is disappointed. Throw his car on a dyno-com like the other guys do, and it would prob show 525-540WHP. Our car is a beast thanks to UM. They really have this platform sorted. A car is only as good as its tuner, Matt’s car may have more in it, but on his current tune, I think thats’s about max he will see I believe.
You have a dynojet dont you? Or no

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Still not a production turbo on a customer's car.

BUT! The same day comparison on a similarly set up car is very appreciated. This should have been your first post.

I guess all that raw data and straight up honesty wasn't good enough at first! What was he THINKING!?!?!

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
Brisk = garbage. Have tried them on numerous high HP builds. Evetytime I install them the car misfires like crazy. I have thrown multiple sets in the trash.

Good to hear. I would be willing to buy you a set to install and log (provided you have working coils), I have experienced solid performance. I don't have as large a turbo or as high psi but hey if you find they misfire more than your other plugs then I'll write off the cost of the plugs in the name of research.

PM me where you want them sent and I'll shoot them over.

Status
Not open for further replies.