GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is this TSI SE fuel economy my new normal?

Centerman66

Passed Driver's Ed
Ha ha. Energy and motion. Awesome reference. Related by a squared function. So twice as fast is 4 times the energy. Even more allowing for friction and air resistance.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Ha ha. Energy and motion. Awesome reference. Related by a squared function. So twice as fast is 4 times the energy. Even more allowing for friction and air resistance.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

And power is proportional to fuel consumption.

Silkblue16

Passed Driver's Ed
How many miles are on the car? I am on my second MK7 and it took both of my cars about 1500ish miles before I started to get a decent MPG. My gT

I would average about 30ish mpg on my Golf TSi in town and well over 40 on the thruway. My current GTi.... is more like 25/35 lol

jplrk

Circling back to & resurrecting this topic. Appreciate all the input, especially the reminder to check the tire PSI. I'm still averaging 24mpg or so, mostly short trips in town, but no idling or traffic to speak of.

I'm in Western Washington state, by the way, and it hasn't been particularly cold. At home, I park in my attached garage. So no letting the car sit & run while I scrape ice or anything like that. It does start up quickly.
The car has less than 1000 miles on it, so I'm hoping the suggestion that mileage may improve once the car's "broken in" will prove true.

Cheers,
Colleen

mardak

I've refueled a couple of times since getting my 2018 TSI SE (auto trans) and the numbers have been pretty abysmal. Of course I knew moving from a 2015 TDI would be a major difference. But any vehicle I've driven has exceeded the EPA ratings by at least a couple of numbers, so I was anticipating the same reality.

Driving a pretty even mix of highway/city, I've averaged a mere 24-25 mpg. (This is calculating by hand, btw.) Sure, it's winter, but I'm not in a drastically cold climate. So...what the heck? I swear I've read pretty decent reports of fuel economy here. Or not?

~ Colleen

It'll get better as the engine breaks in. My new 2018 Alltrack is now at 3000km and the mileage has noticeable improved the last couple fills. I didn't even reach 400km per tank initially.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Circling back to & resurrecting this topic. Appreciate all the input, especially the reminder to check the tire PSI. I'm still averaging 24mpg or so, mostly short trips in town, but no idling or traffic to speak of.

I'm in Western Washington state, by the way, and it hasn't been particularly cold. At home, I park in my attached garage. So no letting the car sit & run while I scrape ice or anything like that. It does start up quickly.
The car has less than 1000 miles on it, so I'm hoping the suggestion that mileage may improve once the car's "broken in" will prove true.

Cheers,
Colleen

Short trips around town means stop signs, stop lights, and ebb and flow of traffic (doesn't have to be stop and go traffic). It also means the car never really warms up fully, which means the engine metal isn't as expanded and compression is down. MPG seems spot on for your driving habits. Go drive on the highway for 100 miles and you will see 35+. That being said, our versions of "short" drives might be different. Anything under 5 and that mileage is to be expected. One you start getting into 15ish miles around town in one drive, you might see 30MPG. Really the car just needs to warm up.

My drive to work gets me 24 MPG but after lunch when I'm heading back, 30 MPG because the car is up to temp. Also winter fuel blends and all that stuff.

jplrk

Gracias. Good point about the car never warming up on short trips. Yesterday I ran an errand (aka "whiskey replenishment run") after having not driven for a couple of days. Only went a few miles one direction & a few miles back. The Silver Bullet clearly never warmed up during that time.

Need to head south of Seattle and back this weekend (150+ miles each direction); be interesting to see the numbers for the trip.

~ C.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Mileage during the break-in period will not be as good as it is in a few months, once you've put some miles on it. Also, if you have to use winter-grade gasoline in your region, your mileage won't be as good since there's more ethanol in the fuel.