GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dashboard airbag bulge

joesid

Go Kart Newbie
I have always noticed a bit of a bulge on the passenger side of the dash where the airbag is. I found two threads on here but not too many replies. My issue is not as pronounced as the image below taken from another user, but I can visibly see what I have circled in red. Is this normal among majority of MK7's or is it a cause for concern?

I saw your pic and thought to myself “damn, thank god mine doesn’t look that bad” shortly before I realized that pic you posted is my car. Ughhhhhhh

One a side note, it’s been 3 years now and it looks the same as it did when I bought it.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I'll need to look. Is that a bulge or just a discoloration from the dash material being thinner in that area? Is that a spot where the dash breaks away?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Just had a look at my dash and there is no bump, mark, line, nothing!

Maybe it’s a Mexican thing??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
You can see the entire bag outline in the picture. Definitely have not seen that before.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Maybe they did not install one in yours!

Or maybe it can not deploy.

German thing.

Mine is definitely there! And it can definitely deploy! Just doesn’t show, if I were the op I’d be having VW check this, as it shouldn’t be extremely visible like that, maybe the airbag was sitting too high when the dash was fitted and over time has created a hump due to heat beating down on it??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
I saw your pic and thought to myself “damn, thank god mine doesn’t look that bad” shortly before I realized that pic you posted is my car. Ughhhhhhh

LOL, I'm sorry.

Here it is on my car, previous photo was another user on the forum:

joesid

Go Kart Newbie
Mine is definitely there! And it can definitely deploy! Just doesn’t show, if I were the op I’d be having VW check this, as it shouldn’t be extremely visible like that, maybe the airbag was sitting too high when the dash was fitted and over time has created a hump due to heat beating down on it??

That’s my car in post #1. I inquired about it at the dealer and got nowhere. “It’s hot out so it expanded”, “let me try and buff it out” blah blah blah.

2016 SE with 23k
-sunroof leak within first 2 months of ownership.
-steering rack failure
-front wheel bearing failure
-front ball joint failure
-turbocharger failure

I now own a set of road flares.

I have bigger things to worry about lol