GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Alltrack - GTI like fun?

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I have an Alltrack and my wife has a GTI, both DSG. Her car is bone stock, mine has a JB4 on 91, plus GTI/R suspension, and 14lb wheels.

I'm gonna go against the grain here: The JB4 Alltrack is NOWHERE NEAR our GTI, even if the GTI is loaded up with passengers to get closer in weight. I worked with George on a map 6. Maybe it's a fuel limitation, I don't know. The JB4 doesn't do anything below 3k and you mostly drive around below this level. I just don't feel the low end snap of the GTI, or even the change in velocity on the freeway. The GTI is just a much more fun car to fling around, even after all my work. I do love my Alltrack, but I would love it more if the wife didn't buy herself a GTI that I constantly compare to.

I have considering going to a flash to get early spool, but I will probably just jump to an IS20 and not mess around. I will probably do a tune then, because I can't pass smog with a bunch of wires hi-jacking the sensors, and I'm not sure the 1.8 will run properly with an IS20 unless you lower the early boost.

Aside from power I do love everything else about the car. It is an ideal size for me, kinda rare, kinda weird; unlimited potential.

I'm surprised the jb4 wasn't able to get that low end increased. How aggressive are your lower rpm settings? I'm fwd, so it's a big difference, but I could spin tires easily in second as well with just jb4, Torque was not an issue

Drader

Passed Driver's Ed
Here are my settings; CA 91 is best I can do:

1500 11.5
2000 12.5
2500 13.5
3000 14.5
3500 15.5
4000 16
4500 15.5
5000 15
5500 14.1
6000 13.1
6500 12.1
7000 11.5

fuel bias 100

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
Finally made up my mind and decided to go with the IS20. My Alltrack has 41k miles and will slip now if accelerating on the highway in sixth gear from less than 60mph. I ordered a Southbend Stage 3 daily.
Bought a new IS20 for 600, used APR downpipe for 525 and a new IE intercooler for 900. I’ll have it all installed in a month or so, the big thing left is the ride quality. I am on stock suspension except 034 swaybar. I really do NOT want to lower, I live in Maine and the ride height is great compared to my JSW TDI. I would welcome suggestions that do NOT include spacers.....why oh why doesn’t a manufacturer make a coilover setup with a 1.5” lift??

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
What difference did the 034 swaybar make? I've upgraded the RSB on my other cars but I sometimes take the alltrack off the pavement. Does the RSB make off payment driving much harsher?

Finally made up my mind and decided to go with the IS20. My Alltrack has 41k miles and will slip now if accelerating on the highway in sixth gear from less than 60mph. I ordered a Southbend Stage 3 daily.
Bought a new IS20 for 600, used APR downpipe for 525 and a new IE intercooler for 900. I’ll have it all installed in a month or so, the big thing left is the ride quality. I am on stock suspension except 034 swaybar. I really do NOT want to lower, I live in Maine and the ride height is great compared to my JSW TDI. I would welcome suggestions that do NOT include spacers.....why oh why doesn’t a manufacturer make a coilover setup with a 1.5” lift??

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP

May I suggest the https://msskits.com option? We are putting this on the Alltrack. setting it at max ride height. May combine it with the lift kits out now for the Alltrack.

Otherwise i would suggest heavily investing in premium tire choices. That can really affect ride quality.

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
I noticed much better stability with 034 bar, rear of car feels more planted. Putting the RSB on will really magnify your tire shortcomings. The suspension now feels like it works much better, once I put my Firestone Firehawk on with the light Motegi wheel it made on ramps etc much more fun. The car previously rolled so much that you had to brace yourself against the door!
I just put my studded Hakkepellita 9 snows on this morning so the cornering hi jinks are over till spring. Supposed to be 19’ on Monday morning, 6-9” of snow up North of me tonight.......winter is here, snow tires till end of March usually.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I just installed a CG Lock. It's a seabelt tension system that helps you keep planted in the seat. Loved it in my subaru, not sure how much I like it in the Alltrack but giving it a go.

I think I'm going to go with a R swaybar if I can get one for a good price. Exposing the tires as being a weakness means more money spent. Just like upgrading turbos and not realizing how much a clutch upgrade will be. =(

I noticed much better stability with 034 bar, rear of car feels more planted. Putting the RSB on will really magnify your tire shortcomings. The suspension now feels like it works much better, once I put my Firestone Firehawk on with the light Motegi wheel it made on ramps etc much more fun. The car previously rolled so much that you had to brace yourself against the door!
I just put my studded Hakkepellita 9 snows on this morning so the cornering hi jinks are over till spring. Supposed to be 19’ on Monday morning, 6-9” of snow up North of me tonight.......winter is here, snow tires till end of March usually.

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
try the jb4! or actually if you dont' need the fancy display stuff and blue tooth, a jb1 set at map2 is basically the same thing, you can usually pick a jb4 up on here used and then sell if you don't like it so free look and easy to install?

also you can do the bottom jb4 plug with a double sided flat head screwdriver bit in your hand from above in 1 minute once you see how it works and practice on the jb4.

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
I just installed a CG Lock.(
I tried one out on the but it couldn't get it secured. Does the alltrack seltbelt lock at the buckle when yanked tight like on the GTI?

I have an Alltrack... and 14lb wheels.

Very nicely done, that's RPF1 territory

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Yes what I had to do is put two small screws that came with the cg lock kit in to the buckle to give the CG lock something to bite on. You'll see two holes in the "back" of the buckle. You just take two of the screws from the set and screw it in to the who holes in the plastic. You then use the longest screws for the CG lock and carefully tighten. It's been secure since I installed.
I tried one out on the but it couldn't get it secured. Does the alltrack seltbelt lock at the buckle when yanked tight like on the GTI?

Very nicely done, that's RPF1 territory

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
Having gone thru this winter with my Alltrack I’m loving it all the more. Running studded Hakkepellita tires on the factory 17” wheels. Car pulls through the gears like a freight train, super in snow up to 6-8” deep. I am seriously considering the MSS spring kit in conjunction with my BES spacers. I really do NOT want to lose ride height!

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Having gone thru this winter with my Alltrack I’m loving it all the more. Running studded Hakkepellita tires on the factory 17” wheels. Car pulls through the gears like a freight train, super in snow up to 6-8” deep. I am seriously considering the MSS spring kit in conjunction with my BES spacers. I really do NOT want to lose ride height!
The utility of an Outback, the power of a WRX with just a flash. Available manual transmission. The automatic is exceptional also.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
After reading this thread the ALLTRACK may be a consideration.
Sure sounds interesting and having AWD is a big plus here in the frozen north.

Just don't get one with a sunroof. Seems as though ~50% of pano roof alltracks leak. possibly more.

I've gone to 3 VW dealers, checked the alltracks on their lots, and seen stains on the headliners on most, if not all of them.

brand new cars. already stained headliners from leaks.

2017, and 2018 models.

2019s have also leaked.

VW is not fixing it, considering 2019 is the last year for it.