GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ever Run Tail of the Dragon?

H2O_Doc

Ready to race!
I was wondering if anyone here has run the Tail of the Dragon in Western North Carolina in an Mk 7? If so, your impressions? Also, I know a lot of car specific clubs and forums have Dragon Days where folks meet to run the tail; such a thing for MK 7s?

I ran the tail a bunch when I was in grad school doing research. Unfortunately, that was in a Chevy 2500 truck. I’m thinking I need to revisit.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Holy crap....I was literally just talking to my VW buddies about this and going to post the SAME topic up tonight.... Great timing.

Yes. My buddies do it every year (S6, A4, MK6 GTI) and I think this year they're going to cuff me and drag me along, as I haven't been able to before due to family/work conflicts.

I think I should stock up on brakes and get a rear sway before I roll out.

It's near Smoky mountains right?

H2O_Doc

Ready to race!
Holy crap....I was literally just talking to my VW buddies about this and going to post the SAME topic up tonight.... Great timing.

Yes. My buddies do it every year (S6, A4, MK6 GTI) and I think this year they're going to cuff me and drag me along, as I haven't been able to before due to family/work conflicts.

I think I should stock up on brakes and get a rear sway before I roll out.

It's near Smoky mountains right?

Yep. I’d be down for it.

Cowzill00

Ready to race!
Just looking at that map made me smile.

bluekid99

Drag Race Newbie
friend of mine went down for that with the cobaltss.net people in his cobalt...they had a massive turn out...alot of pads and rotors lost lives that day...overall...saw a few on board vids and it seemed pretty awesome

Mrc5z

Ready to race!
I was there this summer in my MK7, what an amazing road and trip overall! Literally pics don't do justice, even the roads leading up to the Dragon were amazing. Will definitely be going back next year in the Vette!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 363

H2O_Doc

Ready to race!
...even the roads leading up to the Dragon were amazing. Will definitely be going back next year in the Vette!

I can tell you that’s more true than you might realize. Having had to drive all over that area looking for good places for stream sampling where roads cross streams, I got to drive some fantastic curves (albeit in a work truck).

Fall is beautiful, but can get squirrely with patches of wet leaves stuck to the road. Slicker than dog $h!t.

penguinsgestapo

Passed Driver's Ed
If you head up that way, I can help you out with some roads in the area. I have a place nearby and know some decent places. I also help organize a Honda civic meet that is 100+ in size.