GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official MN Thread

Slow4

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm relocating to Minneapolis early Jan '19. I'm coming from a non-winter climate so I'm hoping to get some pointers on golf specific things to winterize my '17 golf se. I don't have the budget for winter tires this year but I want to make sure I get the right anti-freeze and washer fluid plus anything else that I haven't thought of.

I would honestly not do any of those things and just get winter tires. I think that's what most people do. Unless there are different fluids that people use in the south that I'm unaware of (perhaps the standard thing to do in MN is to use lower temp stuff), most people just keep on driving. But winter tires are very much necessary

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
I'm relocating to Minneapolis early Jan '19. I'm coming from a non-winter climate so I'm hoping to get some pointers on golf specific things to winterize my '17 golf se. I don't have the budget for winter tires this year but I want to make sure I get the right anti-freeze and washer fluid plus anything else that I haven't thought of.

Not sure if you've lived here before or in a climate like this, but winter tires are definitely a good idea. I know you said not this winter -- don't worry PLENTY of people rolling around on all-seasons, but I'll just say you should seriously consider it when you can. Personally I think it should be required.

No need to get special winter washer fluid.

No need to get special winter coolant.

But if you do need to add some sometime, make sure you use VW-Audi approved coolant. It's called G13 and is pink in color. I think Pentosin makes some, too, but personally I would just get the OEM stuff to be safe:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine...MItt7vjKSd3wIVCzxpCh05jw-WEAQYASABEgK2BvD_BwE

Do NOT use something else.

Also, it comes in concentrate and needs to be diluted to a 50/50 ratio with distilled water.

Some other tips:

- Don't let your gas run to empty. I like to keep at least 1/4 tank at all times

- Have a snow brush on hand. I like this scratch-free one http://a.co/d/5WtzVAl

- Have a small shovel on hand

- Get a nice coat of protection on the paint. Wax is good, but a sealant would be longer lasting and less likely to wash off in car washes. Usually requires surface prepping with a clay bar, though.

- Rust protection / prevention. I spray FluidFilm on all of the exposed metal areas of the undercarriage, including the suspension.

- Get touchless car washes to wash the salt off on a regular basis. If you care about your paint, regular brushed car washes will give you crazy scratches. But a lot of gas stations have drive through touchless washes that rinse off salt with high pressure water and soap. Some have underbody sprayers, too. These are not PH balanced and will likely strip regular car wax quickly, but I think it's better to wash the salt off.

- After going through the car wash, make sure to dry the car well. Specifically the door jambs. use a microfiber and lubrication quick detailer. Adam's quik detailer works great. Could go over the whole car with quick detailer or spray wax from time to time to increase protection.

- Get good winter mats if you don't want to ruin your carpets. Pricey, but weathertech makes very good laser-cut hard plastic mats that have high edges to retain water and slush very well.

- Go into the winter season with good windshield wipers

- If you want, you can rain-x your windshield so ice doesn't stick to it as much. Just be careful of surrounding plastics as I've heard rain-x can be bad for trim.

- Make sure to drive your car often to keep the battery charged

- If you can, try to park in a garage. Even if unheated, this will be easier on your car for cold starts

Other safety items to keep in the car, especially on road trips:

- jumper cables

- space blanket

- some non-perishable food like granola bars or beef jerky

And lastly, use your lights and fog lights in poor weather! Way too many people don't use proper lighting when visibility is bad.

Fortunately you'll only have a few bad winter months this year. Welcome to Minneapolis!

IMBA1

Not sure if you've lived here before or in a climate like this, but winter tires are definitely a good idea. I know you said not this winter -- don't worry PLENTY of people rolling around on all-seasons, but I'll just say you should seriously consider it when you can. Personally I think it should be required.

No need to get special winter washer fluid.

No need to get special winter coolant.

But if you do need to add some sometime, make sure you use VW-Audi approved coolant. It's called G13 and is pink in color. I think Pentosin makes some, too, but personally I would just get the OEM stuff to be safe:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine...MItt7vjKSd3wIVCzxpCh05jw-WEAQYASABEgK2BvD_BwE

Do NOT use something else.

Also, it comes in concentrate and needs to be diluted to a 50/50 ratio with distilled water.

Some other tips:

- Don't let your gas run to empty. I like to keep at least 1/4 tank at all times

- Have a snow brush on hand. I like this scratch-free one http://a.co/d/5WtzVAl

- Have a small shovel on hand

- Get a nice coat of protection on the paint. Wax is good, but a sealant would be longer lasting and less likely to wash off in car washes. Usually requires surface prepping with a clay bar, though.

- Rust protection / prevention. I spray FluidFilm on all of the exposed metal areas of the undercarriage, including the suspension.

- Get touchless car washes to wash the salt off on a regular basis. If you care about your paint, regular brushed car washes will give you crazy scratches. But a lot of gas stations have drive through touchless washes that rinse off salt with high pressure water and soap. Some have underbody sprayers, too. These are not PH balanced and will likely strip regular car wax quickly, but I think it's better to wash the salt off.

- After going through the car wash, make sure to dry the car well. Specifically the door jambs. use a microfiber and lubrication quick detailer. Adam's quik detailer works great. Could go over the whole car with quick detailer or spray wax from time to time to increase protection.

- Get good winter mats if you don't want to ruin your carpets. Pricey, but weathertech makes very good laser-cut hard plastic mats that have high edges to retain water and slush very well.

- Go into the winter season with good windshield wipers

- If you want, you can rain-x your windshield so ice doesn't stick to it as much. Just be careful of surrounding plastics as I've heard rain-x can be bad for trim.

- Make sure to drive your car often to keep the battery charged

- If you can, try to park in a garage. Even if unheated, this will be easier on your car for cold starts

Other safety items to keep in the car, especially on road trips:

- jumper cables

- space blanket

- some non-perishable food like granola bars or beef jerky

And lastly, use your lights and fog lights in poor weather! Way too many people don't use proper lighting when visibility is bad.

Fortunately you'll only have a few bad winter months this year. Welcome to Minneapolis!

Thanks for the detailed response. I've visited cold climates but never had to live in one. I've read online when doing general research that cars sold in the south typically don't have the low temp coolants and windshield fluid. How true that is with VW, I don't know. Would hate to do preventable damage to the car. Going to confirm my fluids. Obviously, if I can change those fluids without having to go into the dealership, I will.

My all seasons have roughly 20k miles on them, I'm hoping they'll serve me well enough in the winter. In Houston, we deal with lots of heavy rain so while I'm not accustomed to driving in snow/ice, I am accustomed to driving in heavy rain and flooding which requires common sense like slowing down, not tailgating people, just being cautious in general. Hopefully it won't be too difficult a transition.

I've got some nice rubber floor mats that I'm hoping will do. I've looked into Weathertech before. Nice but like you said, pricey. I may look into getting a proper detailing and wax/sealant applied before I drive up. Also will get a touchless car wash membership so I can keep the salt from eating my car.

I'll unfortunately have to park my car outside this winter so thanks for the brush suggestion. I wish I wasn't relocating during the winter, but couldn't pass up this job offer. So many things to get taken care of and want to make sure my car is one of them.

Thanks again for the info.

Namakan

You will want to find washer fluid that has a lower freezing temp and is sold at all gas stations. It should have a rating to -20F. I would try and use yours up before getting into cold temps and pick some up on your way as you travel north.

I would also highly recommend a set of dedicated winter tires especially if your not use to snow/ice conditions. This is not the same as driving in heavy rain. Good snow tires truly make a significant difference. You should be able to find a decent set on Craigslist.

koalb

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 SE, PP, LP
Anyone have a recommendation for a good body shop in the west metro? (I'm in Chanhassen.) Had a bad paint scrape due to some bumper car action in my driveway. Got quotes from both LaMettry's and Hopkins Auto Body. Was leaning towards Hopkins, but before I pull the trigger, wanted to see if there were any other, good options. Thx.

Nitrobackflip

Anybody in MN do the LED tail light swap? I'm thinking about ordering up a set but curious if its a PITA to install - just got my car a few weeks ago so I'm not super familiar with the car yet
Sorry I didn't see this before, I have a 7.5 and one of the first things I did was swapped to the Euro-spec 7.5 tails. Took me about an hour and a half working alone and really wasn't that difficult, just found a good YouTube video for instructions. I ordered everything but the harness from e-acca and total cost was ~$695. I saw you said you're interested in the pre-FL ones but if you change your mind, let me know and I'll be happy to send you part numbers and the videos I used.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Slow4

Passed Driver's Ed
Anybody here have an OBDEleven tool they’d be willing to borrow? I’m thinking about installing the wire harness for my Euro tails since it’s a snow day, and I realized i can’t code them yet!

Nitrobackflip

Anybody here have an OBDEleven tool they’d be willing to borrow? I’m thinking about installing the wire harness for my Euro tails since it’s a snow day, and I realized i can’t code them yet!
Do you have alternate transportation? I'd borrow you mine but you'd have to pick it up from me at work.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

tjpete04

This is my first winter with fwd in 12 years. Traded in my 06 legacy gt for a 17' gti se in September. I miss the awd but the lsd seems to help a lot with grip. I'll likely grab a snow setup next winter, for now Ill use what's left on these all seasons.

GTI feels faster too even though it is down on power compared to my old legacy. Doesn't feel as planted but I sort of like that about it.

I'm a little nervous about the horror vw stories I've heard but I have also heard the mk7s are somewhat reliable.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Slow4

Passed Driver's Ed
I’ve only ever had awd cars and I think that with winter tires the only issue is clearance in deep snow. The LSD seems to do a great job, I feel like I don’t struggle nearly as much as the rest of the fwd cars I see scrambling to get moving

tjpete04

Does anyone have a good body shop recomendation? Preferably St Paul area. Some dude backed into me today. Minor damage to bumper but still damage I want repaired right.

MAPerformance1

MAPerformance
Car(s)
MK7 GTI Sport
Does anyone have a good body shop recomendation? Preferably St Paul area. Some dude backed into me today. Minor damage to bumper but still damage I want repaired right.

Sorry to hear about that! I have had great experience with Lamettry's in Maplewood also.

-Adam