GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

simplify the is38 for me

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
Hmm now the new Littco L38X I wonder how much that will make on pump. Seems to be the route I am looking at

Pretty sure add 10-20bhp from what I can remember. You can check the Littco Facebook page, or the "Another Littco L450 is headed across the pond" thread.

I think I am going to go with either an L430/L450 or EQT. Both have provided an extreme amount of information regarding their turbos performance, response, on which fuels, and tuning tips.

stockton2007

Go Kart Champion
Pretty sure add 10-20bhp from what I can remember. You can check the Littco Facebook page, or the "Another Littco L450 is headed across the pond" thread.

I think I am going to go with either an L430/L450 or EQT. Both have provided an extreme amount of information regarding their turbos performance, response, on which fuels, and tuning tips.

If i could get 380 whp / 400wtq on a 93 pro tuned l38x, that's where i'm headed.

Otherwise, i'd like to see a l430 dyno.. not sure i've seen one yet.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
98RON (claimed)

November

That will typically take 8-12 degrees of timing... probably 20-30hp more than US 93 octane.

Still, strong times.

but on standard 93 octane? you have to have every bolton possible to make that. Or am I wrong

No made 367 on 93.

Fbo is38 on pump makes what, 360whp on a custom tune? OTS is like 330? It has been so long since I looked...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Most of the OTS are 345-355.

Pro-tune will be 350-380.

Hmm now the new Littco L38X I wonder how much that will make on pump. Seems to be the route I am looking at

Probably 10-15whp more than a standard IS38.

The real thing you're paying for is reliability. When Littco tried to run L450s on stock bearings (very early in the development) they couldn't get them above 25psi or so without failure.

They have customers running 38psi on their own design and so far they're holding up.

stockton2007

Go Kart Champion
Probably 10-15whp more than a standard IS38.

The real thing you're paying for is reliability. When Littco tried to run L450s on stock bearings (very early in the development) they couldn't get them above 25psi or so without failure.

They have customers running 38psi on their own design and so far they're holding up.

so with a protune, a reliable 365-395whp, probably towards the higher side with good 93 octane.

feel like this may have made my decision for me.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
so with a protune, a reliable 365-395whp, probably towards the higher side with good 93 octane.

feel like this may have made my decision for me.

Depends on the quality of the supporting mods, fuel, how hard you push the tune, and Dyno used.

My is38 made 367whp SAE corrected (I believe 374whp STD) on 93 octane with good fuel and an aggressive tune. There really wasn't much left on pump gas.

Same dyno and conditions, the L450 made 399whp SAE, but I deliberately chose some of the lower quality 93 octane around so I would not be limited to only a few stations. This tune is richer and running less timing. It's a zero knock tune instead of riding the knock sensors all the time...overall less aggressive than the IS38 tune was.

I think 375whp SAE is a good target for an IS38x. Can you get more? Sure. Is it a great idea on a pump gas daily driver? Opinions will vary. I like that I can put any 93 octane in the car and throw it a beating without a care in the world.

The last 10-20hp are a sacrifice to the gods of speed.

stockton2007

Go Kart Champion
Depends on the quality of the supporting mods, fuel, how hard you push the tune, and Dyno used.

My is38 made 367whp SAE corrected (I believe 374whp STD) on 93 octane with good fuel and an aggressive tune. There really wasn't much left on pump gas.

Same dyno and conditions, the L450 made 399whp SAE, but I deliberately chose some of the lower quality 93 octane around so I would not be limited to only a few stations. This tune is richer and running less timing. It's a zero knock tune instead of riding the knock sensors all the time...overall less aggressive than the IS38 tune was.

I think 375whp SAE is a good target for an IS38x. Can you get more? Sure. Is it a great idea on a pump gas daily driver? Opinions will vary. I like that I can put any 93 octane in the car and throw it a beating without a care in the world.

The last 10-20hp are a sacrifice to the gods of speed.

Fair enough and excellent advice and detail as always. Jakes catted downpipe, majesty fmic, modified oem intake (May go open for sound), brisk plugs. No intentions of upgrading fuel. Have many choices for 93 in my area, one common location only goes to 92. How does one determine fuel quality? Logs?

Think 375hp / 400tq with quick spool is a great power level. + 60 hp and 90 tq over my mk6 ko4.

May also consider l430 if I could see a dyno to know if it’s worth the difference or not.

JeffGTI1

Passed Driver's Ed
When I'm ready if I decide to keep my GTI and not upgrade to an R I'm considering going to Turbonetics and having something custom made for my application has anyone explored that option? I mean if you're going to do turbo go all the way don't cheap out

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
When I'm ready if I decide to keep my GTI and not upgrade to an R I'm considering going to Turbonetics and having something custom made for my application has anyone explored that option? I mean if you're going to do turbo go all the way don't cheap out

Turbonetics custom, huh? Only one turbo, that's for peasants..

I mean if you're going to do turbo, go all the way, get a 911 GT2 RS, don't cheap out! :D

Last edited:

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
The Revo IS38ETR is expensive but also pretty solid. I'm looking at one 8.67s 60-130 on dragy with a Golf R DSG. I see 3 more at 8.85, 9.16, 9.52. That's not too shabby.

Istvan with a IS38ETR running 98ron that ran 8.67 in november posted a 100-200kmh 4th gear pull that is pretty impressive.

Attachments

• 48363408_10155490027671525_9183209196374458368_n.jpg
    48363408_10155490027671525_9183209196374458368_n.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 275

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion
I have a real question, because, let's be honest, if one person says something on this forum, it's gospel.... How many people have really blown is38's on the latest revision? Or are people just concerned based on previous versions? And was it on stock software, only tuned cars, and was it specific to certain tunes vs others? I'd honestly be shocked if all of these tuning companies, including APR who I consider a company that doesn't bend on pricing for quality, would continue to sell a solution that would lead to a "common" issue. With the latest revision, are the issues still persistent? Or was it just a couple guys who didn't know what they were doing and beat the crap out of their cars or tuned them on their own and didn't know what they were doing...and now it's wildfire on the forums.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
I have a real question, because, let's be honest, if one person says something on this forum, it's gospel.... How many people have really blown is38's on the latest revision? Or are people just concerned based on previous versions? And was it on stock software, only tuned cars, and was it specific to certain tunes vs others? I'd honestly be shocked if all of these tuning companies, including APR who I consider a company that doesn't bend on pricing for quality, would continue to sell a solution that would lead to a "common" issue. With the latest revision, are the issues still persistent? Or was it just a couple guys who didn't know what they were doing and beat the crap out of their cars or tuned them on their own and didn't know what they were doing...and now it's wildfire on the forums.
I blew a revT

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Latest rev is H. I'd say 80% chance you're going to be fine up at 415chp

Running stacks, custom tunes or pushing on E is gonna drop that percentage to probably around 60%.

You may get lucky. You may not. I've had both oem turbos pushed to the brim. My is38 still kicking and it's latest gen. Buy latest rev used

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Latest rev is H. I'd say 80% chance you're going to be fine up at 400whp.

Running stacks, custom tunes or pushing on E is gonna drop that percentage to probably around 60%.

You may get lucky. You may not. I've had both oem turbos pushed to the brim. My is38 still kicking and it's latest gen. Buy latest rev used
Revt is after the H now there is an F you can find

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk