GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Koni Yellow settings

wave

Ready to race!
Can anyone please confirm the direction I need to turn the rears when they are compressed all the way in order to adjust them softer or stiffer? There was a video I saw, but to me it contradicted the basic instructions that came with the struts. I am only asking about the rears, as I would like to remove them and adjust, but not sure on the direction and orientation with which to start the process. Thanks

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
Can anyone please confirm the direction I need to turn the rears when they are compressed all the way in order to adjust them softer or stiffer? There was a video I saw, but to me it contradicted the basic instructions that came with the struts. I am only asking about the rears, as I would like to remove them and adjust, but not sure on the direction and orientation with which to start the process. Thanks

Alternatively you can just insert an allen key into the top of the shaft where the threading is, compress the shaft down and then turn the allen key to get your desired rebound adjustment. I don't like this whole vice grip method ... seems like a recipe for breaking something. Also, probably a good idea to go all the way to the left first, and then all the way to the right ... so you can feel the range you're working with before you set it. Make sure not to force it when you get to full soft or full stiff ... easy to damage the shock that way.

wave

Ready to race!
Thanks, but I am still unclear on this :eek: In the picture on the top left of the second page (next to picture 1), it seems like you would compress the body in, and then rotate the body to the right, clockwise, to soften. Is this correct? Thanks again in advance!

Alternatively you can just insert an allen key into the top of the shaft where the threading is, compress the shaft down and then turn the allen key to get your desired rebound adjustment. I don't like this whole vice grip method ... seems like a recipe for breaking something. Also, probably a good idea to go all the way to the left first, and then all the way to the right ... so you can feel the range you're working with before you set it. Make sure not to force it when you get to full soft or full stiff ... easy to damage the shock that way.

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
Thanks, but I am still unclear on this :eek: In the picture on the top left of the second page (next to picture 1), it seems like you would compress the body in, and then rotate the body to the right, clockwise, to soften. Is this correct? Thanks again in advance!

Backwards.

Turn the body CW to tighten (or the shaft CCW); turn the body CCW to soften (or shaft CW).

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Easiest way to do this is set the bottom end of the koni shock on a piece of cardboard. Wearing a leather glove, because there is a lot of pressure on your hand, fully depress the shock using an allen key. Lean into it and hold the key steady with your dominant hand while you rotate the body of the shock with your other hand. It ends up being fairly obvious which way is which, as the shock will shoot back up quickly on full soft and uncompress very slowly on full stiff.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf

This. There’s an hex key head on the shaft for a reason. Use it.

Not sure what video is being referenced as there are a few but this one sums up the rear adjustment.
https://youtu.be/XGXXvngk8eQ

The video shows him gently turning the piston rod by hand (which you won’t be able to do with these yellows) but the concept is the same. I used a 3/8” ratchet with a hex head bit and just used my weight to compress it down, then turned accordingly.

Again they come on full soft so you will have that reference point in case you get confused on which way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner

They adjust the opposite direction of the fronts (if you have the front knob conveniently laying around)

Even if you didn't know that...once you adjust them, it's pretty easy to tell if they're getting softer or harder

Alternatively you can just insert an allen key into the top of the shaft where the threading is, compress the shaft down and then turn the allen key to get your desired rebound adjustment.

Easiest way to do this is set the bottom end of the koni shock on a piece of cardboard. Wearing a leather glove, because there is a lot of pressure on your hand, fully depress the shock using an allen key. Lean into it and hold the key steady with your dominant hand while you rotate the body of the shock with your other hand. It ends up being fairly obvious which way is which, as the shock will shoot back up quickly on full soft and uncompress very slowly on full stiff.
^^^
x2 on that method....that's the only way I've done it

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion

This is how I did it, except I happened to have one

https://express.google.com/u/0/product/10351587906301936987_12081024144965460611_9273173?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=tu_cu&utm_content=eid-lsjeuxoeqt&gtim=CMfoqYCwqKjsmwEQ1-K93fHO2qZ4GODCgAMiA1VTRCig7-vgBTDV_rUE&utm_campaign=9273173&gclid=CjwKCAiA9K3gBRA4EiwACEhFe1VdKxAIDT-5wJhOTZPIYAtKnQh9FJ0EImICycV75MBTvX9Az0WPdhoCsqsQAvD_BwE

Which makes it super easy to get a solid grip/push and doesn't hurt your hand. No glove needed.

Also, I dunno if anyone else mentioned this (one of the vids may have), but even after adjusting them with what I was certain were the exact same turns from zero, they rebounded at somewhat different rates. I readjusted one slightly stiffer and the other slightly looser until they were equal. If I'd never tested it, maybe I'd never know the difference. *shrug*

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
To anyone hunting for Koni Yellows, eBay has 15% off today. Scored a set for $605 shipped including tax. Almost maxes the discount at $99.88 saved. Not too shabby. Now to pick springs.

Part Nos. for GTI MK7 (55mm knuckle)

8741-1572Sport (fronts)
8240 1297Sport (rears)

EDIT: Tuner sports from the first page has them for $593.25 shipped. That is a slightly better deal! No need to bother on my end over $10 though.

Last edited:

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
Got a lightly used set of Koni yellows coming in this week. looking to go HR OE sport springs but i've been back and forth a lot during my research. Will get f/r strut mounts and bearings and TT spring pad. What else are must replace items or items i should get excluding nuts and bolts? I saw front spring isolators? Do i need fresh bump stops at 50k miles/3-4 years?