GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

damn the potholes and factory rims

virpacalis

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 R DSG
My rant for the day:

In very many ways, the R is much better than my good old, modified Subarus (2002-2017). However, in addition to the sound of the boxer rumble, I miss the OEM wheels of the STI.

Back in the day, I could and did pick up a second, used set of four (with some rash) for 500 bucks. Not only was I inexpensively set for winter and summer shoes, but the light and very strong, BBS forged wheels took some serious hits with potholes and held up like champs.

However, for the third time in a year and a half, a nasty Philly pothole has taken a tire and bent the rim of my R. Even worse, the right-sized replacement Pirelli snow tires seem not to be in stock for weeks. Even with my tire protection plan I bought up front, which has already paid for itself, the repeated damage and repairs are a PITA.

Note to VW: offer forged wheels for your vehicles with low profile tires.

Last edited:

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
Get 17" wheels for the winter if you drive on Beirut-style roads, got my set off a Jetta for a cool $100.

If you don't like 17s, get 18s with 45 sidewall winter tires.

gregozedobe

Battle scarred veteran
Which Golf R rims did you bend ? I've read several reports that the Pretorias are a bit fragile.

virpacalis

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 R DSG
They're Pretorias. Smaller wheels and higher profiles would def. help.

virpacalis

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 R DSG
While mine's waiting for a repaired or replaced wheel, at the same local dealership an '18 R is also sitting with its own damaged rim and winter tire. In addition, it seems there's a shortage of winter tires in stock sizes. What an unlucky coincidence.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
While mine's waiting for a repaired or replaced wheel, at the same local dealership an '18 R is also sitting with its own damaged rim and winter tire. In addition, it seems there's a shortage of winter tires in stock sizes. What an unlucky coincidence.
Just go for a 215 instead of a 225 width.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

virpacalis

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 R DSG
On stock 8" rims, which are all I have, VW gives us a 335/35-R19; even in the winter, I'll pass on a 215.

Instead of waiting until the end of the month for 2 stock-sized replacement Pirellis, I'm springing for 4 stock-sized Dunlops, so I'll be good to go by this Wednesday. My protection plan -- thank goodness I got one -- will cover the damaged rim and the 2 damaged snow tires.

If anyone wants to buy 2 good Pirellis (Sottozero W240 Serie ii 235/35-R19) used for just one season (last December to March), PM me for pics and price for a local pickup.

virpacalis

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 R DSG
Another 2 rims bite the dust -- not cracked but bent beyond repair -- thanks this time to suburban potholes. My replaced Pretoria count is now 5 in little over 2 years. Factory rims should not be so inadequate. 10 years in my STI on the same roads and I never had to replace a wheel or damaged tire.

My rant for the day:

In very many ways, the R is much better than my good old, modified Subarus (2002-2017). However, in addition to the sound of the boxer rumble, I miss the OEM wheels of the STI.

Back in the day, I could and did pick up a second, used set of four (with some rash) for 500 bucks. Not only was I inexpensively set for winter and summer shoes, but the light and very strong, BBS forged wheels took some serious hits with potholes and held up like champs.

However, for the third time in a year and a half, a nasty Philly pothole has taken a tire and bent the rim of my R. Even worse, the right-sized replacement Pirelli snow tires seem not to be in stock for weeks. Even with my tire protection plan I bought up front, which has already paid for itself, the repeated damage and repairs are a PITA.

Note to VW: offer forged wheels for your vehicles with low profile tires.
They're 19' on the R, right? I think the Pretoria is available in 18' too.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Another 2 rims bite the dust -- not cracked but bent beyond repair -- thanks this time to suburban potholes. My replaced Pretoria count is now 5 in little over 2 years. Factory rims should not be so inadequate. 10 years in my STI on the same roads and I never had to replace a wheel or damaged tire.

When I worked in service at a BMW dealership outside of Detroit, we had a customer who replaced 8-10 wheels on her 328, in the space of a couple of years. These weren't even ultra-low profile 19"s, just the bone-standard 17" wheels. That pretty much convinced me that run-flat tires were not something I was interested in owning.

virpacalis

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 R DSG
Forged 17 or 18s with tire profiles higher than a 35, all ordinary issues are solved. Forged 19s with a 35 might work. Stockers stink.