GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTI or 2016 CLA 250

vhl71

Passed Driver's Ed
What do you guys think? Test drive the 2017 autobahn and I quite like the handling and how responsive the turbo is. But found the rear seats too small for the family. Plus it’s still priced quite high here in Canada. Also have an option of getting a 2016 cla 250 4matic for almost $10k less. I really like the look of cla, but somehow like the gti drive better.

What do u guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
IMO: GTI all day every day.

vhl71

Passed Driver's Ed
you come on a vw site and ask about a merc vs a vw?
why not go to a merc site and ask the same question?

jeez

So what is this site for? Just to gloat how good VW is. If you don’t want to give your opinion you don’t need to reply

Slapshot1

Ready to race!
I’m going to vote GTI. (Shocking I know)

The Mercedes looks weird to me.

Compare service cost also and repair cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Exactly. Mercedes repairs are likely to be more costly than VW in most cases. Especially when comparing dealership to dealership.

Plus... The GTI is a bit quicker and I'd imagine it handles a little better too. Only reason to get the Mercedes in my opinion is if you want more luxury and want all wheel drive.

Otherwise GTI

YoYoCome

Passed Driver's Ed
What do you guys think? Test drive the 2017 autobahn and I quite like the handling and how responsive the turbo is. But found the rear seats too small for the family. Plus it’s still priced quite high here in Canada. Also have an option of getting a 2016 cla 250 4matic for almost $10k less. I really like the look of cla, but somehow like the gti drive better.

What do u guys think?

You've pretty much stated the decision already.

"But found the rear seats too small for the family."

Go with the CLA since you'll be driving your family around.

BronxBomber

Ready to race!
Don’t know what the OP is talking about. The CLA is tight in back too and the Gti has more headroom. I find it amazing that the CLA is 10k less. Get what you like, but most if not all on this forum are going to vote GTI, otherwise we’d be driving CLAs and be on a MB forum.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I wasnt a big fan of the cars from that particular segment (CLA and A3). They never had the premuim feel of their respective manufacturers.

Does that CLA has a lot of miles for the price difference to be around $10k. Also as mentioned in another post, the maintenance is going to be a lot higher especially after warranty.

The CLA is tight in back too and the Gti has more headroom.

This was my assumption for rear seat space as well.

Yoliber

Ready to race!
I tested them both and am a fan of both brands so here's my almost unbiased opinion. Also note my family considered picking up a CLA twice since it was launched and will probably consider a A when it comes out. (got a E class then a C class).

I found the CLA significantly smaller all around and the gti to be quite spacious. If space is that much of a problem then I'd swing for a gla250 which might be my least favorite car in terms of driving dynamics. I think the most annoying thing about the CLA size is the rear entry. Because its a "coupe" i often bang my head on the ceiling.

GTI rides nicer and in terms of quality I find it to be similar or GTI abit nicer. This segment like vj123 has pointed out, the cars don't ever feel that premium compared to their other cars. Both seem pretty zippy.

DSG is better than the CLA 7 speed box.

I don't know where you're from but the CLA's 4matic is rarely ever active. I test drove the 4matic and the fwd, I actually liked the fwd more. It just felt more toss able. I lived somewhere where snow isn't disastrous I'd op for fwd and snow tires.

The CLA does look better imo and has the mercedes badge. But people and those around them who know about cars would know the CLA is sort of infamous. It's like the maserati ghibli. It's a maserati, cool. But a lot of people know you blew it. Also if its the prestige you want just get an A3.

Edit:
TL;DR just look at sandmangti's post below me. Not the squirrel, the one below that.

Last edited: