GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to - Install a Dash Cam and Wire it to Power on with the Car

jackalope

Ready to race!
Check the link in my sig. Best ground is right next to the fuse box, big bolt.

That's not right next to the fuse box, that's behind a whole different panel on the side of the dash. It's at least a 2 foot wire run. I found a video on Youtube where someone used one of the torx screws that secures the fuse box so I'll try that

Edit: Ooops I don't know why I thought it was so far. It's next to the fuse box

Last edited:

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
That's not right next to the fuse box, that's behind a whole different panel on the side of the dash. It's at least a 2 foot wire run. I found a video on Youtube where someone used one of the torx screws that secures the fuse box so I'll try that

Edit: Ooops I don't know why I thought it was so far. It's next to the fuse box

lol yeah, it's not far at all, maybe 6" run or so? There is a bolt closer to the fuse box you can use but I decided to go to the bigger cleaner bolt.

jackalope

Ready to race!
I tapped fuse 38 which is one of the towing fuses (unused in my car) and grounded to the lower left screw. I used Anderson Powerpole connectors. This means I'm not adding load to any existing circuit and I only have to use one fuse in the tap. I put in a 2.5amp

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
I tapped fuse 38 which is one of the towing fuses (unused in my car) and grounded to the lower left screw. I used Anderson Powerpole connectors. This means I'm not adding load to any existing circuit and I only have to use one fuse in the tap. I put in a 2.5amp

What are you connecting to that?

o_a_ravi

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks to the user - SomethingNew71 for the detailed instruction. Helped me a lot to install by dashcam.

The most hardest part was removing and putting back the A-Pillar cover. Handling the secure clips and correctly putting it back took for ever.

While i was there, took care of the following -

1. DashCam Wiring (From Fuse Box to Top Domelight Area
2. Wired the Headlight power wire and BCM Reverse signal to previously retrofitted AutoDim mirrors
3. Ran a terminated extra Red/Black wires through. for future.

That way, i need not go through the pain of removing it again.

Thanks,
Ravi.

etrips

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golfffff Rrrrrr
Wanted to say thanks for the awesome guide! Slapped on my dashcam without too much trouble.

Mootang

Wanted to say thank you also! Was able to install a Thinkware F800 Pro with parking mode enabled. Everything working and looking good :)

SomethingNew71

TDI Pro
Car(s)
2009 JSW TDI
Thanks to the user - SomethingNew71 for the detailed instruction. Helped me a lot to install by dashcam.

The most hardest part was removing and putting back the A-Pillar cover. Handling the secure clips and correctly putting it back took for ever.

While i was there, took care of the following -

1. DashCam Wiring (From Fuse Box to Top Domelight Area
2. Wired the Headlight power wire and BCM Reverse signal to previously retrofitted AutoDim mirrors
3. Ran a terminated extra Red/Black wires through. for future.

That way, i need not go through the pain of removing it again.

Thanks,
Ravi.

Glad you found it helpful. Not a bad idea to run those for future use.

Wanted to say thanks for the awesome guide! Slapped on my dashcam without too much trouble.

:)

Wanted to say thank you also! Was able to install a Thinkware F800 Pro with parking mode enabled. Everything working and looking good :)

:)

Wanted to share this product I found on Amazon. Looks like it has everything we need in a simple $16 package :) I just purchased it and will use it to install my Z-Edge camera. Will report back. . .

Dash Cam Hardwire Kit (Micro USB)

Awesome share this is a nice little package for dash cam wiring

GLoBaLReBeL

Ready to race!
Just wanted to say thanks for the write up on this. I was able to install my camera using the following product . .

Micro-USB Hardwire Kit

I however, didn't get a kit that had a long enough cord from the transformer to the usb plug, so i had to move the camera to the left side of the mirror :-( But, its completely hidden and the kit was only $13, so I can live with that.