GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
If I were the OP, it would have been difficult to not laugh in their face.
You want a special policy towards the all wheel drive and quicker version of the car I own?
Yeah, ok.

SD11

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE DSG
If I were the OP, it would have been difficult to not laugh in their face.
You want a special policy towards the all wheel drive and quicker version of the car I own?
Yeah, ok.

No, its my go to dealer so not wanting to alienate anyone. I just said, that makes it easy and thanked him for the help and jumped back in the GTI. I am older and my wants are not as strong as they used to be. I wanted to drive it to see if it would be enough to get my blood pumping and make me want to do something.

I have driven an R but it was the previous model or prior to the facelift, not sure it would be all that different, and it was quite a while ago, I recall that I liked it quite a bit, but liking it a lot and justifying the extra money...??? I am not as quick to pull the trigger as I used to be. A test drive may have helped that but not going to do anything other than have a laugh about it at this point.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
No, its my go to dealer so not wanting to alienate anyone. I just said, that makes it easy and thanked him for the help and jumped back in the GTI. I am older and my wants are not as strong as they used to be. I wanted to drive it to see if it would be enough to get my blood pumping and make me want to do something.

I have driven an R but it was the previous model or prior to the facelift, not sure it would be all that different, and it was quite a while ago, I recall that I liked it quite a bit, but liking it a lot and justifying the extra money...??? I am not as quick to pull the trigger as I used to be. A test drive may have helped that but not going to do anything other than have a laugh about it at this point.

I didn't say I would laugh in their face, (or that you should have) I just said that it would be difficult not to.

AJ15

Ready to race!
Before I bought the golf, i went to look at an sti and go for a test drive but the dealer there acted like I was buying a Lamborghini or something and said no test drives and and they only order them with a deposit which completely turned me off from buying the Sti.
I've had the same experience with just a WRX the 3 times I've kinda considered one. (time 1, I bought a Mazdaspeed3, time 2 I bought a Civic SI, time 3 I bought a MK7 GTI). I only really seriously considered a WRX the first time. I called 3 dealers and none either had a WRX or would allow test drives (because any WRX that came on the lot was already spoken for). I didn't really push it, because I always had 1 car in mind.

egrunt

Passed Driver's Ed
So I had left word at the dealership that I wanted to check out the R when they hit the ground, this was about 6 weeks ago. I was online setting up an appt to have some tires put on the GTI and while I was on the site I looked to see if they had an R and they did, so drove over there and not only did they have the one that was shown on the site, they had 5 others in stock. I looked at the 3 they had up front and asked to test drive one and they said NO GO...... they expected me to pick the one I liked, agree on a price and THEN I could drive it. While I kind of get it, its not THAT special, and I am seriously interested and I do need to drive both a 6 speed and a DSG to really make a decision, guess I will have to agree to buy both a manual and a DSG so I can get a check ride. ; )

My wife has a 2012 Autobahn 2 door DSG that she loves. She transitioned from a 2002 BMW E39 525i that we purchased new. The GTI was going to be a temporary vehicle since a 2012 BMW 535i M Sport had grown in size. Now she is interested in a Golf R.

We also have a 2015 BMW M3 F80. One day while at the Santa Anna auto park we stopped into the VW dealership several years ago and they had a new Golf R. We inquired about a test drive and we were told no test drives. When we purchased our F80 M3 new in July of 2014 they had just hit the dealers lots. Our F80 was on the show room and they allowed us to test drive it before we committed to buying it. Before the F80 M3 we had a 2014 Chevy Z51 Corvette and again we were allowed a test drive before purchasing the vehicle. I don't understand VW's mind set. If anything each dealer should have one Golf R for test drives. Even Harley Davidson allowed me test drive a 2013 Road Glide CVO (34k MSRP) before I purchased it in December of 2012. The wife and I are in our 50's and have purchased many new and expensive vehicles over the past 31 years since we have been married. Hell I was allowed to test drive a 2018 Porsche 911 GTS ($151k MSRP) back in November 2017.

Attachments

• CVO Road Glide.jpg
    CVO Road Glide.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 210
  • 2014 Z51.jpg
    2014 Z51.jpg
    693.8 KB · Views: 200
  • 2015M3.jpg
    2015M3.jpg
    506.2 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
A CHiP with a Corvette, Harley, and an M3...hmmmm

SD11

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE DSG
A CHiP with a Corvette, Harley, and an M3...hmmmm

He probably has the I8 at Winterhaven, they run that town off of citations issued on I8 between the AZ border and Gordons Well.

@egrunt, same experience here. I can't think of ANY other car that I was interested in that they would not offer a test ride, that included BMW motorcycles and I test drove a 911 4-5 times no exaggeration and then wound up buying a Cayman from another dealer. But Vettes, M3's, AMG's. I even test drove a used Ferrari. Its funny. Ironically, I DID NOT test drive the MK7, I agreed to the purchase and they literally brought it to my house and I signed for it there and didn't even drive it before I signed for it.

gr53716

Hudson Valley Volkswagen in Poughkeepsie wouldn't let me test drive an R. I eventually bought a 'demo' model with 2500 miles on it from Joe Heidt VW in Ramsey, NJ. They, of course, had no problem with me test driving the car.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
All of the 3 closest dealers in my area are owned by the same company. I may need to drive a solid hour in order to get a test drive to see if a mk7.5 is worth the price of admission. The one dealership that I went to was pretty adamant about NO test drives unless you have money for a deposit.

lokerola

Ready to race!
What a load of horse hockey. You are the customer with the cash and they are there to serve your needs.

It's not a freaking Bugatti.

I would call and ask for the sales manager and politely tell them you're willing to drive an hour away to another dealer to test drive the R, and that if they want your business, to let you test drive it.