GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2106 Golf R Engine Failure

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Integrated Engineering does motors too now I believe.
Salvage will be the most cost affective.

If you keep the existing engine whoever rebuilds should have a look at the to oil pump system and the chain specifically. Have seen some new motors go this way also with a bearing issue. I would also check the oil level sensor or rather replace.

Cotay

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks everyone. I'm still trying to decide what to do, but in the meantime I purchased a used 2016 Passat from a different VW dealer (let's call them the "Selling Dealer"), who happens to be the dealer where I purchased the R. The dealer that currently has my R (let’s call them the "Repair Dealer") is 50 miles from the Selling Dealer.

Last Friday I inquired with the Repair Dealer about purchasing a used 2015 Passat they have listed, but the service rep handling my R said they were working another deal on that one at the very moment I was texting with them. I then asked the service rep to let me know if the deal fell through since I was absolutely interested in purchasing it. I also let the service rep know I was going to another VW dealer to look at another Passat, so they should have known I was serious. The service rep from the Repair Dealer never did call me and the car is still listed for sale on their website and Auto Trader. The Repair Dealer really didn't seem to want my business, so I took my business elsewhere.

While I was buying the 2016 Passat I spoke with the Selling Dealer’s service dept. I explained what I was told by the Repair Dealer (bearings on the #4 cyl.) and asked them for a itemized quote on what it would cost to replace the engine. The Selling Dealer quoted me just over $10K in an itemized estimate. The estimate includes a few thousand for new turbo, which they said should be changed when replacing the engine.

I asked the Repair Dealer for an itemized estimate this morning so I could understand what they are proposing to do. I didn’t hear anything all day until this evening when I received a five word email with a dollar figure ($11,075). The service rep had previously said that they were not including the turbo in the estimate since it apparently wasn’t damaged, so I assume that $11K figure is sans turbo. I've emailed them back again requesting an itemization, but I don’t think they are going to provide one.

At this juncture I'm really beginning to think the Repair Dealer just wants me to go away. I still want to provide my service records just on the off chance that VOA says they can help even a little bit. However, the Repair Dealer is saying that my non-VW service records are no good since they don’t have a VIN (they have my plate number as the identifier). I gave them the address and phone number for the third-party provider, but they said they can’t call them. The Repair Dealer also refused to call the Selling Dealer to get any records from there and the Repair Dealer said that the Selling Dealer wouldn’t give them the records anyway. The funny thing was that when I called the Selling Dealer, they didn’t ask for ID and left a printout of the record with their cashier for me to pick up without any question. The Selling Dealer said they would have been happy to provide the records to the Repair Dealer if asked. Now I am still prepared to pay the costs here, but the Repair Dealer really is making me wonder. I’m prepared to pay to have the R towed to the Selling Dealer 50 miles away.

So my question here is, do I really need to change the turbo when changing out the engine? That would knock off a few thousand from the Selling Dealer's estimate and make it a certainty that I would use them. Heck, I’m thinking that I should run far away from the Repair Dealer right now.

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
Your experience with the Repair Dealer sounds awful. Personally I wouldn't trust them to deliver on a successful repair. For that matter, why not source a low mileage engine from a wrecking yard and have a reputable shop swap one in? Might be $5k as opposed to $10-11k.

16GTIPP

Passed Driver's Ed
So my question here is, do I really need to change the turbo when changing out the engine? That would knock off a few thousand from the Selling Dealer's estimate and make it a certainty that I would use them. Heck, I’m thinking that I should run far away from the Repair Dealer right now.

I'm no expert like some of these other guys but I'd guess the reason they're telling you to replace the turbo is in the off chance some material slipped out the exhaust valves and entered your turbo. It could have damaged the turbine in some fashion.

And yes... you should run away from that repair shop. Rent a trailer and drag it to the Selling Dealer since they seem more reasonable. They may even be able to quote you better after looking at the damage.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I'm no expert like some of these other guys but I'd guess the reason they're telling you to replace the turbo is in the off chance some material slipped out the exhaust valves and entered your turbo. It could have damaged the turbine in some fashion.

And yes... you should run away from that repair shop. Rent a trailer and drag it to the Selling Dealer since they seem more reasonable. They may even be able to quote you better after looking at the damage.

They're worried about metal in the oil supply. Turbos are very sensitive to oiling issues.

Personally I'd gamble. The turbo is fed from a filtered supply, if the engines oil filter is doing it's job there should not be a significant amount of contamination.

Bob Dobbs

I'd just take it to an indy shop and have them rebuild the engine since the damage isn't catastrophic. If you can tell us what city and someone might be able to suggest a good one.

Joverclock

Passed Driver's Ed
Just throwing this out there. I have a 4 year 100k mile warranty through my insurance with Geico. It was included at no extra cost since I bought the car brand new. Covers everything minus clutch or normal wear and tear items. Did you check with your insurance company?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
So my 2016 Golf R engine failed last Friday with 47K on the ODO. VW Dealer is telling me that since I missed an oil service two services ago that I've voided the remaining Power Train warranty (never mind that there were no signs of any damage during/after my last two oil changes, but you know...). Regardless, they are quoting $11K ($8K engine/$3K labor) to install a new engine. They are saying "the bearings on the #4 cylinder failed due to wear".

So, I need to see if there are any other place to obtain the engine for less than $8K. Also, what is the engine code? I am 30 miles from the dealer and don't have access to the car right now.

Did they even submit the claim to VW? If they say yes, I would ask for proof.

Tigsel

Ready to race!
No offence but I think OP:

A- was born yesterday
B- fell from the moon
C- has $10k burning his pocket

I highly doubt that your current dealer tested your oil to justify warranty denial. Dude, tow your car to a competent dealer and have them warranty repair that engine.

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
They're worried about metal in the oil supply. Turbos are very sensitive to oiling issues.

Personally I'd gamble. The turbo is fed from a filtered supply, if the engines oil filter is doing it's job there should not be a significant amount of contamination.

I had an engine replaced on my mk6 R and they replaced the turbo on it as well for fear of oil contamination. My buddy was a service writer there and let me tell you those guys live for moments like this. A couple cans of wd-40 later he had a ko4 GTI.

Mk7Will

Ready to race!
Vw wont straight up deny a claim for no proof of oil changes. I've had cars that had zero history of service and was within powertrain. They covered it. If oil came out like sludge than that's a different story. I just did an engine recently on a 1.8t jetta that the car potentially skipped an oil change and went 20k without one. It didn't matter, they still replaced the engine under warranty stating the engine wouldn't of failed like that even at 20k on the oil. I would find another dealer

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Vw wont straight up deny a claim for no proof of oil changes. I've had cars that had zero history of service and was within powertrain. They covered it. If oil came out like sludge than that's a different story. I just did an engine recently on a 1.8t jetta that the car potentially skipped an oil change and went 20k without one. It didn't matter, they still replaced the engine under warranty stating the engine wouldn't of failed like that even at 20k on the oil. I would find another dealer

Dealer is looking to make a windfall. VW wouldn't pay them as well as the cash customer.

Cotay

Passed Driver's Ed
No offence but I think OP:

A- was born yesterday
B- fell from the moon
C- has $10k burning his pocket

I highly doubt that your current dealer tested your oil to justify warranty denial. Dude, tow your car to a competent dealer and have them warranty repair that engine.

Not any of the three, I'm just new to this. I don't have $10K just burning a hole in my pocket and I'm just trying to do the right thing either way. I'm not mechanically inclined enough to know if what they are telling me is correct. The Selling Dealer service dept. told me that I need to talk to VOA ASAP. I am going to go back to the Repair Dealer and ask for proof of submission to VOA and then make some calls. Here is what the Repair Delaer is now telling me is needed:

PARTS
06K100034JX MOTOR $5499.99
06B105313D BRG $19.78
06J145722H TURBO $1801.79
06L253039 GASKET $7.12
N90067202 ORING $1.20 X2
WHT006113 ORING $1.16
06K145778E PIPE $49.12
06K145735T PIPE $88.50
5Q0253115B GASKET $13.96
5Q0253725C CLAMP $31.88
06L115441 FIL. GSK $7.40
WHT001688 ORING $2.60
06K129717A IN GSK $49.28
06H103121J VP GSKT $ $4.44
06K115561 O/F $10.95
G013A8JIG COOLANR $29.50
TAX $699.66
PARTS TOTAL WITH TAX 8367.18
LABORS $2550
DIAG $150
MIS. $500
TOTAL REPAIR $11,417

Last edited:

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
I'd tow the car over to the "selling" dealer. Worst case it sounds like they would still be less expensive to repair.

Also, VW denying warranty coverage because of where you got your oil changed? That sounds a bit off. I'd call Volkswagen customer service if you haven't already and explain the situation.

I'm assuming that you're in the US...
Here's the US VWoA Customer support line:

1-800-822-8987
8 a.m. to 9 p.m. EST
Monday – Friday