GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R going through Coolant

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Just because the R's cooling system is "sealed," that doesn't mean that there isn't some loss through the reservoir overflow hose, either as liquid or vapor. Everyone should expect some degree of coolant loss over time; the question here is how much loss is there and how quickly is it occurring. As noted by others, there are a host of variables which can affect the level in your reservoir: engine heat, angle of the ground where your car is parked, etc. Me? I'd watch it and see if the level moves SIGNIFICANTLY (more than you've indicated in the posting) week to week, or month to month, before worrying about it. Worst case scenario: you have to top off your coolant every few days while waiting for any parts to arrive at your mechanic.

It's not sealed to the point where the molecules of the components of the coolant cannot leak through the seals, especially since it's under pressure. It's not like it's hermetically sealed. I smelled coolant when I first bought the car but it eventually went away. Probably a leak at a connection where the coolant finally hardened. I had it happen on a hose connection on my after run pump on my MK4.

njswider

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
Last month on my way home my coolant light came on, coolant was pretty low. Took it to the dealer and they pressure tested multiple times and said everything was fine, coolant is expected to fluctuate. I didn’t bother arguing even though they’re clearly wrong, I can even smell the coolant. They topped it off for me and it’s been slowly dropping but should last me to my 30k service where I’ll prob have them revisit. At the time it was pretty cold but has warmed up since, who knows. My mk6 pump failed so nothing new here.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Last month on my way home my coolant light came on, coolant was pretty low. Took it to the dealer and they pressure tested multiple times and said everything was fine, coolant is expected to fluctuate. I didn’t bother arguing even though they’re clearly wrong, I can even smell the coolant. They topped it off for me and it’s been slowly dropping but should last me to my 30k service where I’ll prob have them revisit. At the time it was pretty cold but has warmed up since, who knows. My mk6 pump failed so nothing new here.

Very large chance it is the water pump. Due the the orintation of our engines, it is often very hard to see underneath the water pump. Even with the car in the air, unless it has been leaking for a long time and you can see the trail of dried coolant, it can be hard to tell.

Audi is having a huge issues with thermostats on the V6 Supercharged engines, and both VW/Audi are having an issue with the waterpump/thermostat unit on the 2.0T engines.

Last edited:

cb1111

It's not sealed to the point where the molecules of the components of the coolant cannot leak through the seals, especially since it's under pressure. It's not like it's hermetically sealed. I smelled coolant when I first bought the car but it eventually went away. Probably a leak at a connection where the coolant finally hardened. I had it happen on a hose connection on my after run pump on my MK4.
I think a "closed system" is a better description.

Mramos4Him

Mine failed at the end of February. The seal around the thermostat let go while I was a the dealer for an unrelated issue. I was in a loaner for about 2.5 weeks, but my dealer had advised that at the time, the water pump/thermostat unit was on national back order.

Same here, I smelled coolant but the level was fine. Took it to the dealer and the thermostat was on red order, needless to say 3 weeks later I got my car back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

njswider

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
Very large chance it is the water pump. Due the the orintation of our engines, it is often very hard to see underneath the water pump. Even with the car in the air, unless it has been leaking for a long time and you can see the trail of dried coolant, it can be hard to tell.

Audi is having a huge issues with thermostats on the V6 Supercharged engines, and both VW/Audi are having an issue with the waterpump/thermostat unit on the 2.0T engines.

Yeah when this happened to my MK6 it was already recalled so no issues at the dealer. Guess we just have to hope they end up doing something again this time around.

reallypeacedoff

Ready to race!
My coolant light came on at 35k today. Took it in and after their tests, turns out I have a leak (I think he said thermostat but will confirm when I get it back) but said it was significant enough that he didn't recommend I drive it until the part comes in. So rental until I pick it up tomorrow.

Interestingly, my coolant light has come on twice (15k and 25k, both 5k after the service interval) and they tested both times and said no leak. Today they told me that there was significant "crust" around the leak and probably why it was a slow leak and/or didn't show up. I check the oil and coolant regularly so I was watching it get to minimum thinking there is no way this car consumes that much coolant without a leak.

Being fixed under warranty. Glad the drivetrain is 5 years!

SmokinCAT

My coolant light came on at 35k today. Took it in and after their tests, turns out I have a leak (I think he said thermostat but will confirm when I get it back) but said it was significant enough that he didn't recommend I drive it until the part comes in. So rental until I pick it up tomorrow.

Interestingly, my coolant light has come on twice (15k and 25k, both 5k after the service interval) and they tested both times and said no leak. Today they told me that there was significant "crust" around the leak and probably why it was a slow leak and/or didn't show up. I check the oil and coolant regularly so I was watching it get to minimum thinking there is no way this car consumes that much coolant without a leak.

Did this fix your coolant loss issue?

Mine has been doing the same, going to call the dealer today to schedule an appointment to get this checked out.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule

What's that, a $600 job out of warranty? Part is like $300? If I still had my Chevy Nova it would cost $5 for the thermostat and gasket. Loosen one hose and two bolts. Didn't even need to drain the coolant. Progress! :)

Last edited:

reallypeacedoff

Ready to race!
Did this fix your coolant loss issue?

Mine has been doing the same, going to call the dealer today to schedule an appointment to get this checked out.

Too soon to tell as I have only driven it about 1000 miles.

What's that, a $600 job out of warranty? Part is like $300? If I still had my Chevy Nova it would cost $5 for the thermostat and gasket. Loosen one hose and two bolts. Didn't even need to drain the coolant. Progress! :)

Parts were $290 + whatever labor would have been + loaner car for 5 days.

Seems to be a big problem though, EVERY person I know who has a Golf of some sort has had their thermostat replaced. Or water pump.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule

Seems to be a big problem though, EVERY person I know who has a Golf of some sort has had their thermostat replaced. Or water pump.

Nice they gave you a loaner.

SmokinCAT

I am actually disappointed, the build quality on the car is top notch, I don't understand how they would let a flaw with the cooling system go without some sort of service update.

rexneffect

Ready to race!
After smelling it since new and topping off annually, finally started dripping down low enough to see it. 2015 R with 42k mi.
Check from below with drip tray removed!

Luckily still under powertrain warranty for a few more months, so wish me luck at dealer... this will be 3rd time I'm asking them to check for this issue, but finally it's clear enough for an idiot to see

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk