GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW R taking the fight to AMG.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
The CLA45 AMG makes 375 HP/350 pound feet from their 2.0. I can't see the R making 375 let alone 400 out of their 2.0.

cb1111

I believe Arin posted you can install an APR intake, but is he authorized to state that? Is he an owner? If it's true, why isn't it stated in the warranty, say, under an authorized parts section? Makes me skeptical. And won't you need to pay for a rental car while they figure out if they'll pay and repair your car? Make sure you have trip interruption reimbursement on your credit card.
While an APR intake "might" be OK, I think most modders will add something non-APR and then that warranty is toast as well.

There are enough loopholes in that warranty to drive a Mack truck through it.

That's not to say that they won't fix some things but who knows what they'll balk at.

Last edited:

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
3:1 odds that the Mk8 R will push 400 HP, but it'll be a hybrid. That seems to be the direction that all the VW holdings are moving towards in the near future, and total electric down the road. As a "halo car" the R can start the public in thinking of the brand in that way.

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
owning a C55,C63 and E63 keep dreaming VAG and hopefully we will see the A45 AMG someday

You don't know how bad I want an A45 AMG. Those things are SICK

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
There's no way VW can "take the fight" to AMG. Mercedes, other than the CLA-type entry level cars in the US at least, makes luxury cars; look at the interior of a C-class even and there's nothing VW has that comes close. In raw performance numbers, sure, anyone can do that, but no one shopping for, say, a C43 or C63 or an E43/63 is going to cross-shop a VW in any shape, form, or fashion.

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
From what i've read online the A45 AMG hatchback sold in europe uses the same haldex type awd system.

What VW could do is add a front/rear e-diff to the haldex system, I'm sure that would help a lot.

I agree completely. The good news is we are getting the A-Class in Canada, so hopefully that leads the way to the AMG as well. The CLA had that initial hype, but both the it and GLA never had any traction. I rarely see them, and the AMG's are even more rare.

Also I am also REALLY curious on the front limited slip that Mercedes is using but Audi / VW is not. It comes in the AMG Track package. I think the rear diff was a typo by Mercedes as it's no longer on their site.

http://shop.achtuning.com/wavetrac-10-309-186wk-differential-vw-mk7-golf-r-dsg.aspx

Mike-E

Go Kart Newbie
How about a revamped awd system to compete with ford and Subaru. The tuned vw engines make the power, they need less understeer and a better fun factor.

Your post is self contradictory. revamped awd system to compete with ford and Subaru...….need less understeer.

Have you actually driven a Subaru? I had a 2001 RS 2.5 and a 2008 STI. Both plowed like a John Deere in corners. My 2015 R has a lot less understeer than the STI.

bboytaktix

Ready to race!
Your post is self contradictory. revamped awd system to compete with ford and Subaru...….need less understeer.

Have you actually driven a Subaru? I had a 2001 RS 2.5 and a 2008 STI. Both plowed like a John Deere in corners. My 2015 R has a lot less understeer than the STI.

I was actually pleasantly surprised when I first drove my R around a tight curve that it seemed to handle better than my 2011 STI. I even had 24mm front and rear Whiteline sway bars on my STI, which made it handle quite well, but my R still held up its own, it's a great handling platform. If anything, the only real thing I could notice that my STI seemed to do better is "rotate" around a curve (most likely due to the difference in AWD system and the differentials it had) but overall handling and feel seemed better in the R.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
When I had a WRX, older model back in early 2000s, it was a real hoot to drive, and yeah, it rotated around and did all sorts of rally car stuff. The Golf is more composed, but less visceral, which I can live with, considering the Subie's interior was something I said at the time came pre-grunged.

KlipZ

Ready to race!
3:1 odds that the Mk8 R will push 400 HP, but it'll be a hybrid. That seems to be the direction that all the VW holdings are moving towards in the near future, and total electric down the road. As a "halo car" the R can start the public in thinking of the brand in that way.

400 would be a lot and i'm a bit skeptical, but a bump up to 350 would certainly be well within the realm of possibilities. Either way, I would be welcoming to an R with more HP and even better if it's a hybrid (just don't put any stupid "eco" badges on the car.)

ItsJustaR

Banned
Audi RS3...
My stage 1 high torque 93 octane tuned 2018 Tornado Red DSG Golf R already destroyed a stock RS3 lol [emoji106] amongst many others. I'm identical to acceleration, quarter mile times, and top speed, as the 707hp Jeep Grand Cherokee Track Hawk and many others!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ItsJustaR

Banned
400 would be a lot and i'm a bit skeptical, but a bump up to 350 would certainly be well within the realm of possibilities. Either way, I would be welcoming to an R with more HP and even better if it's a hybrid (just don't put any stupid "eco" badges on the car.)
My stage 1 high torque 93 octane tuned 2018 Tornado Red DSG Golf R already destroyed a stock RS3 lol [emoji106] amongst many others. I'm identical to acceleration, quarter mile times, and top speed, as the 707hp Jeep Grand Cherokee Track Hawk and many others!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk