GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How do the exhaust flaps work on the MK7R

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Why don't you want them open all the time? The car is quiet LOL

I don't know about your's but mine is very loud with the flaps operating as designed. It makes my garage windows shake. For all practical purposes, they are open all of the time except while cruising and decel, to minimize drone. If you like the obnoxious noise it makes, more power to you.

SLOWR

Ready to race!
I don't know about your's but mine is very loud with the flaps operating as designed. It makes my garage windows shake. For all practical purposes, they are open all of the time except while cruising and decel, to minimize drone. If you like the obnoxious noise it makes, more power to you.

Oh I see, well I found it still quiet with the valves open even with a catless downpipe on a stock catback. But when I got my milltek non-resonated catback installed, it was loud but nothing too obnoxious imo. That's why I programmed my valves to be open all the time.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Oh I see, well I found it still quiet with the valves open even with a catless downpipe on a stock catback. But when I got my milltek non-resonated catback installed, it was loud but nothing too obnoxious imo. That's why I programmed my valves to be open all the time.

Much depends on how well Milltek controls drone. VW doesn't.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I'll add to what The Fed said about cautioning against having the flaps open at all time. I have the S3 resonator delete, and while it does increase drone a bit even in "normal", the combination of that and valves open all the time would be obnoxious, especially for longer trips. I'm happy every day I have a "normal" mode to calm the drone a bit for my commute.

Maybe I'm just "old" but I value a bit of peace and quiet, as well as subtlety occasionally. Having just a "white golf" passes the PD and CHP tests pretty well.

hal

Ready to race!
The dealer fixed my flaps by flashing the ECU with a new firmware apparently released specifically to do that.

I must say it now feels like driving a whole new car. It's that different and I'm not exaggerating. So for anyone considering the flapper mod: by all means, give it a try since it's reversible (and you might just like it), but after all this time driving the car with the flaps open all the time I am almost certain it has caused damage to my hearing.. AND, bass and mid-bass now sound way better.

hal

Ready to race!
I know I'm still digging into this but thought I'd share some information after logging with vcds as it's slightly different from what I've been reading and that's probably due to VW changing the way it works with the latest firmware (dealer confirmed this is the latest release - and is for the Middle East 280bhp version so it might be different for others but should be the same for Australia/NZ). I've attached the log in pdf here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72004663/flaps.pdf

- Idle, D, Closed (even from a start - this is a new change as everyone says they open at idle - HOWEVER, they seem to open when the car is switched off because you can now hear an obvious click coming from the flaps as soon as you open the door before even starting the engine which I assume is the flaps closing?)
- Idle, S, Open (it will immediately open at idle if the shift lever is pushed to S or profile mode changed to Sport/Race)
- Driving, D, remains closed until RPM reaches around 3.5K and then closes as you go into cruising speeds or decelerate
- Driving, S, still opens and closes seems based on various factors depending on how you drive but is more aggressive towards opening (but definitely not open 100% of the time)

Overall the car is ALOT quieter after the firmware. Performing a flap-mod to keep them open all the time is not the same as driving in Sport mode. It will be louder.

Last edited:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Mine are open with the engine off. When I start the car and idle they are still open. When I shift into D they immediately cycle closed then open, and stay open. They they act like in my sig. Putting it in S only raises my idle, to about 1100 RPM. The exhaust sound gets noticeably louder, but only because the engine is very close to where it's loudest. I have DSG. Also, turning on the AC puts enough load on the engine to make the exhaust sound even louder.

I did code them open for a few days when I first bought the car. The drone on decel, especially at 30 MPH and 60 MPH was awful. I like to hear the radio clearly so I turned them back on. FYI, I have my Soundaktor set to zero.

mz21

my car is EU version but I can almost guarantee that the valves open at around 3000 RPM, it doesn't matter if you are cruising or accelerating, from 2900 RPM to 3000 RPM there is a huge difference in noise and from 3000 to 4000 there is a lot of drone, specially with the resonator delete and I blame that on the fact that the valves open at that RPM, even at stable speeds, I appreciate if someone can confirm this.

Since in my country we can cruise at 140/150kmh, exactly between 3/4k rpm, the drone is bad. I will fit my car with the AWE Switchpath remote so I can keep the valves closed at those RPM.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
There may be a difference for how US cars act.

I would blame your resonator delete for the added drone. A tuner shop charted the info in my sig either on a dyno or while driving with VCDS. I myself observed the flaps at idle, and I could clearly hear more drone with them coded open. Other than the drone, mainly on decel at 60 MPH and 30 MPH it sounded the same to me. I DID notice, now that I have thousands of miles on the car, that the exhaust overall is louder and mellower now that the car is broken in and the pipes are coated with carbon throughout the insides.

Schnell_R

Ready to race!
I have 10k with stock exhaust, it has become louder with time, my flaps are coded open. I like the sound from inside the car, not too loud or boomy. I was going to do the res. delete at first but decided to wait until the car had some time to settle in. If I did do the res delete I would more than likely code the exhaust valves back to normal operation.

vw671

Autocross Newbie
Mine are open with the engine off. When I start the car and idle they are still open. When I shift into D they immediately cycle closed then open, and stay open. They they act like in my sig. Putting it in S only raises my idle, to about 1100 RPM.

I confirmed this with my ODBeleven, my valves are always closed at idle in park or in neutral. In "Drive" mode it is also closed at idle. If I switch to "Sport" then they open at idle. When put back into park they close again and stay closed when I turn off the engine (*I can see them now with my APR catback). This is similar to what hal reported earlier in this thread.

Last edited:

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
If you have both DCC and DSC, the exhaust flaps will stay open in the Race mode. In the Comfort mode, the flaps will stay closed. In the Normal mode, the flaps will stay closed until the engine goes above 3,000; however, if you keep the DCC in Normal and put the DSC in Sport, the flaps will stay open from idle. But all of that is only the case for R's with both DCC and DSC.

edsr

I have a 2014 uk R completely stock. I believe there is a bug in the software that controls the flaps.

Start the car in race mode, because that’s what it was set to when you last drove it. Sounds a bit flat (flaps not open).

But...

Turn ignition on, but before you start the engine, even if it’s in sport mode, select sport mode again, THEN the flaps open. Or if you forget and drive off, just select Sport and you’ll notice the sound difference.

I am just deducing this from the sound of the car both when you start it and while you’re driving it.

It’s like it forgets it’s in sport mode if you lock the car. You need to remind it.

So if you want the flaps open on my car, you need to manually select sport. If you get in the car and drive off without doing that (even if it’s in sport mode) there will be a lot less boom to the exhaust.

Just from experience, not a mechanic or looking at VCDS etc.

Hopefully that makes sense and is some use to the OP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk