GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Stage 1 high torque UPDATE after 18,000 miles

yukoncornelius

Ready to race!
Thanks for posting this type of update - very helpful. I just installed jb4 but really am still just tempted to do full ecu and tcu tune. Particularly because I know the tcu will almost surely change the behavior of the car for the better.

badger91

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for posting this type of update - very helpful. I just installed jb4 but really am still just tempted to do full ecu and tcu tune. Particularly because I know the tcu will almost surely change the behavior of the car for the better.

I’m in the same boat. Always ran APR then did JB4 this time around. JB is amazing, but not smooth like a flash tune. Actually just took mine off last night to sell but I’m still concerned about voiding my warranty with a flash ha. ?*♂️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

signkutter

Ready to race!
I originally did the TCU tune with Stage 1 (high torque file).
It transformed the shift points and behavior dramatically.

Going to Stage 2 was WILD!!!

My car is an absolute blast to drive slow or fast.

Isnt the APR stage 2 tune just 6 more hp and 19 ft lbs torque more? that doesnt seem like a big difference

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
However a TCU tune also fixes much of the unpleasant behavior of VW's stock DSG programming, such as D mode's rush to engage 6th gear even at low road speeds, and its reluctance to downshift for slow turns.

Well worth the money.

Neil

Yup, particularly if you track the car, which the OP does.

I was down at Laguna Seca a couple of months after buying my car. I set the engine/trans to sport and kicked the shift lever over to put it in manual mode, as usual. I was coming up the Rahal Straight, braked for the Corkscrew and downshifted to 3rd. As soon as my foot left the throttle for the brake pedal, the car decided to upshift to 4th. So much for my state of bliss... :mad:

I opted for the TCU tune when I had my car tuned a few months later. I can do without the extra horsepower (although I'd rather not), but I cannot do without the control over shifting.