GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Volkswagen GTI / Golf MK7 General Topics > Member Car Journals


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2016, 12:59 AM   #154
BxGTI
Senior Member
 
BxGTI's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 VW MK7 GTI, 2017 Audi A4 PP S Line2.0T
Location: Bronx,NY
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,524
Merry Christmas!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2015 Tornado Red GTI MK7
BxGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 05:23 AM   #155
sandman1979
Junior Member
 
Drives: '15 GTI
Location: Texas
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabo View Post
See post #105. Link is there.
Found it! Somehow overlooked it. TY!

BTW, may I suggest that you provide the links on your #3 post to each upgrade you have done? That way instead of scanning dozens of posts, we can simply click and get to the one we are looking for.

Very awesome stuff you've done btw!
Brian
sandman1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 05:40 AM   #156
sabo
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2016 Golf R
Location: Virginia
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman1979 View Post
Found it! Somehow overlooked it. TY!

BTW, may I suggest that you provide the links on your #3 post to each upgrade you have done? That way instead of scanning dozens of posts, we can simply click and get to the one we are looking for.

Very awesome stuff you've done btw!
Brian
not amazon. would if i could. site not that sophisticated. need separate topics to do that (as i'm aware). can link to page only, which is only half useful. my mods are listed in order and numbered....wild guess prob faster out of 10 pages. glad my journal was useful.

Last edited by sabo; 12-31-2016 at 04:59 AM.
sabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 05:49 AM   #157
KingBowser
Senior Member
 
KingBowser's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 mK7R, 2014 HD FXDF
Location: Provo, UT
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabo View Post
not amazon. would if i could brother. site not that sophisticated.
False... It's actually super easy to link to exact posts. This forum template is used across a ton of forums and is actually quite "sophisticated"

To link a specific post you just right click on the post number and select copy url, then you have the link to it. For example, here is the link to the post asking for links: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=158
__________________
2016 White MK7R DCC, 2014 HD Dyna (Build Thread)
KingBowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 02:09 PM   #158
sabo
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2016 Golf R
Location: Virginia
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBowser View Post
False... It's actually super easy to link to exact posts. This forum template is used across a ton of forums and is actually quite "sophisticated"

To link a specific post you just right click on the post number and select copy url, then you have the link to it. For example, here is the link to the post asking for links: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=158
stand corrected. i tried that on the body and would just get 'page' link..exactly why i wrote (as i'm aware)......didn't know you had to on the number....thanks! guess i'm the one not that 'sophisticated'.....ill stick to modding...

Last edited by sabo; 12-27-2016 at 06:09 AM.
sabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 04:17 PM   #159
Derf
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2016 Golf GTI S (USA)
Location: NY
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 174
I know it's hard to do before/after comparisons on sound deadening, or even side by side in your and another's car. It's also hard to be subjective when you've spent a few bills and a few hours ripping up panels and carpet to apply those butyl panels to the sheet metal, because subconsciously you really want to believe it was worth it.
That aside, how would you rate the improvement? Night and day? On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 a normal ride and 1 total silence, where has the volume fallen to?
If VW offered a "quiet car" package, how much would you think it would be worth to achieve your results or better?

Lastly, do you think aside from doing everything there are any areas that should be targeted for the best bang for the buck improvement?
__________________
2016 4Dr GTI S 6MT Night Blue Metallic w/ LP (US Spec)
Derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 05:00 PM   #160
sabo
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2016 Golf R
Location: Virginia
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derf View Post
I know it's hard to do before/after comparisons on sound deadening, or even side by side in your and another's car. It's also hard to be subjective when you've spent a few bills and a few hours ripping up panels and carpet to apply those butyl panels to the sheet metal, because subconsciously you really want to believe it was worth it.
That aside, how would you rate the improvement? Night and day? On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 a normal ride and 1 total silence, where has the volume fallen to?
If VW offered a "quiet car" package, how much would you think it would be worth to achieve your results or better?

Lastly, do you think aside from doing everything there are any areas that should be targeted for the best bang for the buck improvement?
I agree with you completely on the potential for the placebo effect. Without doing some before and after sound testing, its all in the ear of the beholder. I will need to wait until after all the doors are complete (only did one so far) to give my complete review, however what I can say is that on the driver's door and hatch, the click and thud of the door opening/closing is definitely different (better). Now, how that translates to interior improvement, well let's see. I have noted my normal radio volume settings and will see if I can lower after the doors are complete.

In the hatch, I can say the floor and wheel wells had major tinky-ness (i know not a word) when tapped with my nails. In fact the heat shield underneath made (and still does to some degree) major vibrations to the floor. So this will be completely deadened...Im going under the car to find this loose area also...

The noises I noticed most prior to install were stones and such on the rear and wheel wells. So far, with very limited driving, they are reduced. I'll get a better idea when they start laying sand for winter road treatment...

I should complete in the next couple weeks.

Last edited by sabo; 12-31-2016 at 05:47 AM.
sabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 05:26 PM   #161
sabo
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2016 Golf R
Location: Virginia
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 336
38. Shorty's Custom OEM Short Shifter Upgrades

38. Shorty's Custom OEM Short Shifter Upgrades

Mod: If you've scanned my whole build, you would have seen I installed a Dieselgeek short shifter some time ago. The Dieselgeek is a great short shifter, that IMO when paired with a weighted (>400 g) shift knob, yields a wonderful engaging, notchy short shift. That said, you do lose some of the quiet smoothness of the OEM shifter. This mod is about the best of both of these shifters - Buttery feel of OEM, plus a nice 20-30% throw reduction.

That's where Shorty (forum member SK VeeDubR) comes to the rescue. Please visit his build or his facebook page - Shorty's Shift Lever for more information.

What:
- Used either stock or OEM audi S3 shift lever
- Customized to include a shorter pin position
- Upgraded the plastic OEM relay lever to OEM metal relay lever
- Upgraded the relay lever bushings to brass set
- Upgraded the cable endlink bushings to metal with brass inserts
- Added custom coating and engraving of Shorty himself

Result:
Absolutely divine. As I experienced the stock shifter, then dieselgeek, this blends both perfectly. The shifts are crisp, short without being overly notchy. The engagement is quiet, but without the stock flex/too much play issue.

I don't know SK VeeDubR on a personal level, but his customization nails it. Highly recommend this.
Attached Images
  
__________________

Last edited by sabo; 12-31-2016 at 03:50 AM.
sabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 11:51 PM   #162
sabo
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2016 Golf R
Location: Virginia
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 336
More Soundskins - Rear Seat

More Soundskins - Rear Seat

Keeping it rolling. Did under the rear bench seat. Seat was simple to remove. Skin install was just a couple of cuts around some clips and belts.
Attached Images
  
__________________

Last edited by sabo; 12-31-2016 at 04:09 AM.
sabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 05:59 AM   #163
sabo
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2016 Golf R
Location: Virginia
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bäsemödel View Post
Any plans to do any other wiring while you have the trim apart? I'm interested in doing this on the doors in the future as the car has a little more road noise than I'd like. Plus, if I quiet the cabin, I'll hear the exhaust less thereby requiring me to get a louder exhaust/downpipe...
no other wiring plans

did clean up some led tails and dashcam wiring whilst in there...
sabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 06:01 AM   #164
sabo
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2016 Golf R
Location: Virginia
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATR View Post
Nice mods! I really like the felt lined cubbies and hatch full led strip
thanks. hatch strip probably my favorite of all...
sabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 03:39 AM   #165
reemizzle
Senior Member
 
Drives: '16 MK7 Autobahn 4D
Location: Chicago
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 172
That looks incredibly time consuming


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2016 Autobahn 4Dr GTI//APR Stage 2//APR Downpipe//APR CAI//APR TCU Tune//034 Dogbone Insert//Pwrhaus DV Spacer//OBDeleven
reemizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 03:51 AM   #166
sabo
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2016 Golf R
Location: Virginia
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by reemizzle View Post
That looks incredibly time consuming


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i like consuming time, otherwise i eat and get fat or drink and become an alcoholic...
sabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:19 PM   #167
SK VeeDubR
Senior Member
 
Drives: MKVII R / MK7 1.8TSI
Location: Somewhere between Toronto and Vancouver
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabo View Post
38. Shorty's Custom OEM Short Shifter Upgrades

Mod: ..- Buttery feel of OEM, plus a nice 20-30% throw reduction.

Please visit his build or his facebook page - Shorty's Shift Lever for more information.



Result:
Absolutely divine. As I experienced the stock shifter, then dieselgeek, this blends both perfectly. The shifts are crisp, short without being overly notchy. The engagement is quiet, but without the stock flex/too much play issue.

I don't know SK VeeDubR on a personal level, but his customization nails it. Highly recommend this.

Thanks for the kind words, glad you find it to your liking - I too was like you searching for the 'perfect' shifter for me and when I couldn't find it I decided to do it myself. I have made kits for several people now, definitely keeps my hands busy doing something productive!



Quote:
Originally Posted by sabo View Post
i like consuming time, otherwise i eat and get fat or drink and become an alcoholic...
truth lol!
__________________
Interested in a custom OEM+ Short Shift Lever? Check out what I do here at Shorty's Shift Levers for VW


Check out my 1.8T car journal - The CHIMERA - if you like OEM+!

Last edited by SK VeeDubR; 01-01-2017 at 09:55 PM.
SK VeeDubR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 03:19 PM   #168
riceburner
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2015 GTI SE
Location: West Chicagoland
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 704
love sound deadening. Quite worth it for me doing only one door (which just had a lot of rattles for some reason) and the whole rear hatch minus the roof.

Significant decrease in noise from the back, and the added bonus of improved subwoofer performance. I will go on a limb to say it is NOT placebo effect, the effects of rattling are gone and you can verify when you close that hatch lid nice and firm and hear a satisfying thump instead of a ker-chiper-kink!

It should also be known that there are things that can be done to better insulate the underbody... i added some extra material between my heatshields and the underbody to decrease some of that rattle, while working on isolating my fuel lines.
__________________
Apr Stg1 93 Tune, Fluidampr, VWR600, Magnfalow CBE, Boomba DV Spacer, LP Reps, Euro Tails, ECS Spacers, Maxton spoiler, front lip, list goes on!!
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18416
riceburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:55 AM   #169
sabo
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2016 Golf R
Location: Virginia
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceburner View Post
love sound deadening. Quite worth it for me doing only one door (which just had a lot of rattles for some reason) and the whole rear hatch minus the roof.

Significant decrease in noise from the back, and the added bonus of improved subwoofer performance. I will go on a limb to say it is NOT placebo effect, the effects of rattling are gone and you can verify when you close that hatch lid nice and firm and hear a satisfying thump instead of a ker-chiper-kink!

It should also be known that there are things that can be done to better insulate the underbody... i added some extra material between my heatshields and the underbody to decrease some of that rattle, while working on isolating my fuel lines.
what material did you add on underside? any pics?
__________________
sabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:41 PM   #170
ReadTheBook
Senior Member
 
ReadTheBook's Avatar
 
Drives: '90 Cabby, CSG '17 GTI Sport
Location: Immersed.
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,515
Sabo, I'm going today to pick up soundskins pro. I really appreciate you being so thorough in your posting about this product, like Quebster was as well. I also found that you outlining how many tubes you used is going to be great and keep me from spending money I don't need to.

I don't plan to do some of the areas you did. Just my trunk, hatch and 4 doors.

Out of curiosity, what roller are you using for the application process?
ReadTheBook is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.