GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 GTI DIY oil change

pawlwawl06

Just did an oil change but the long thing inside the filter wasn't attached to the filter housing. I wasn't sure if it is supposed to click in but was worried if break it if it was forced in. I aligned the long plastic thing (adapter, manual says it's called discharge stud) and then tightened the housing back on. I'm assuming it clicks back in place with the torque applied and compression or should I remove it and fix it back into place - I can't find any resources on it. The car drives fine no fault codes or issues that I can notice.

Did you ever find an answer to this? Same exact thing happened to me today. First oil change on my 2017 GTI with 4K miles. The long rod was not connected to the housing when I removed the filter. I did not try attaching it, just screwed the housing back on with new filter and o-ring

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Did you ever find an answer to this? Same exact thing happened to me today. First oil change on my 2017 GTI with 4K miles. The long rod was not connected to the housing when I removed the filter. I did not try attaching it, just screwed the housing back on with new filter and o-ring

There has been a revision to the part. I recently saw this on another thread or on reddit. Revision happened sometime in 2017 and is also present on MK7.5 vehicles as well.

B00STED1

Ready to race!
Just did my first oil change, everything went pretty smooth except for my drain plug not sitting correctly. It didn’t go all the way into the notch but I was reading that you can keep turning (which I did but it wouldn’t budge at all). Should I try tightening it down some more if possible somehow? I’ll be checking for any leaks.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Just did my first oil change, everything went pretty smooth except for my drain plug not sitting correctly. It didn’t go all the way into the notch but I was reading that you can keep turning (which I did but it wouldn’t budge at all). Should I try tightening it down some more if possible somehow? I’ll be checking for any leaks.

It should stop once seated, the beauty of this plug is that it is really hard to mess up, are you reusing the old one? Replacing it it’s recommended

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B00STED1

Ready to race!
It should stop once seated, the beauty of this plug is that it is really hard to mess up, are you reusing the old one? Replacing it it’s recommended

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made sure to replace it. I was scared of messing it up because it’s plastic so as soon as I felt resistance when tightening I stopped.

20ls01

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI 2016
Anyone know if you can refill the oil through the oil filter opening? Does it go to the bottom of the oil pan?

B00STED1

Ready to race!
Update, the plug is weeping oil. It’s around the plug. Going to try to tighten it even more tonight given that it’s the weekend. I checked my oil level and it hasn’t even changed plus where I parked at work there’s no indication of any oil puddle/drips.

cbenjes

Go Kart Newbie
I always prime the oil filter by pouring about 1/2 quart into the oil filter housing, then put the remainder in the oil fill. Just a habit I picked up from oil changes on my TDI New Beetle. 6 quarts of Motul had me right up to the full mark on the dip stick. And agreed, the opening is small, but it's better than the way the old Mk6 oil fill was with that thin metal plate under the filler cap that looked like it would snap off and fall into the cam causing a lot of damage. And the plastic drain plug sure is easy. No torque wrench, no stripped threads. Pretty brainless.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
I just did my first DIY oil change today and how do you tell if you put in enough oil on the dip stick? I know we can tell on the checkered area but because the Castrol oil is such a light brown colour, it's hard to tell where it reaches when we do it inside my garage, even when looking at it under direct light. What we did was start with emptying new 5L bottles into the engine. Then we ran the engine for around 15 seconds, check the dip stick, and then put a bit more from another 5L bottle if it looked low.

I think last time when I DIY with my friend, I may have overfilled the engine both times just a bit. I checked the dip stick prior to starting my oil change and the old oil was above the max line on the dip stick. Assuming I did, that means I tracked with too much oil.

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
I just did my first DIY oil change today and how do you tell if you put in enough oil on the dip stick? I know we can tell on the checkered area but because the Castrol oil is such a light brown colour, it's hard to tell where it reaches when we do it inside my garage, even when looking at it under direct light. What we did was start with emptying new 5L bottles into the engine. Then we ran the engine for around 15 seconds, check the dip stick, and then put a bit more from another 5L bottle if it looked low.

I think last time when I DIY with my friend, I may have overfilled the engine both times just a bit. I checked the dip stick prior to starting my oil change and the old oil was above the max line on the dip stick. Assuming I did, that means I tracked with too much oil.

You're supposed to check the oil level when the oil is at operating temperature (I take that as at least 122F since that's when the oil temp gauge starts displaying digits instead of "---").

Yeah, it's hard to see clean oil on the dipstick at times. I use a very bright LED flashlight inches away from the dipstick in order to see the reflection from the oil and where it becomes just reflection from the metal.

In the attached image of this post, if your oil level is in zone B or C of the 2nd dipstick image, then you're good:
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=388749&postcount=19

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk