GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Product release - Driver side air intake scoop

mk6-k

Ready to race!
Yes, it does use the stock box bottom. Your setup is different. I guess will wait on 2slowvw and get his thoughts.

I think that uses the bottom of the stock box ya? Mine has this ventilation air thing that seems like it should force the air in my general direction

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
I think that uses the bottom of the stock box ya? Mine has this ventilation air thing that seems like it should force the air in my general direction

Yes, it does use the stock box bottom. Your setup is different. I guess will wait on 2slowvw and get his thoughts.

I was going to make the blocker piece in the intake tubing that runs parallel to the grill. This would work best with intakes that use that channel.

Flex, what were you thinking?

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
What were you thinking, you can PM me if you want but i think we had different ideas and am interested in what you thought.

Just sent you a PM sorry it took me so long!

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Thanks for the orders guys.

Also an Update:
I have a prototype of the blockplate that I am working on. I will do some logging with my AP to see what it does to the IATs and flow of everything to see if it is worth it. Will post back when i have some data.

mk6-k

Ready to race!
Thanks 2slowvw.

Also an Update:
I have a prototype of the blockplate that I am working on. I will do some logging with my AP to see what it does to the IATs and flow of everything to see if it is worth it. Will post back when i have some data.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Last of the new orders are being sent out today. If you don't get a tracking number within the next 2 hours PM me. And again thanks everyone.

mk6-k

Ready to race!
2slowvw, was this for the blocker plate or for the other product. If it was for the blocker plate, I haven't received any tracking number, so i'm guessing it was for the other product

Christophunkk

Has anyone attempted to install the 2018 grill/vent onto a previous Mk7 model? I can't seem to find the part just yet but I imagine 2018 parts should be released to secondary vendors shortly...

I wonder if it fits.

Christophunkk

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP

Also an Update:

how did this turn out?

Hotfart

Ready to race!
Just another data point here. Today I opened up the driver's side of the stock intake, and also installed 2slowvw's scoop & grate. This goes with a previously installed AFE drop-in and snowguard delete. Other relevant mods are a 5150 stage 1 E40 tune and an Ebay Twintercooler.

My initial thoughts are positive - throttle response feels slightly improved, the turbo seems to spin slightly quicker, and it feels like it pulls slightly harder. The turbo spool is louder, and the DV is definitely more pronounced. It seems to strike a good balance of making fun turbo noises without being obnoxious. Oh, and the grate itself looks good too. Under real close scrutiny, it may not pass for OEM, but it's close. More than acceptable for me! Besides, it's under the hood, and we have 4 bangers so it's not like some sweet V-12 that needs to be shown off.

I went to my normal spot to take logs, but was spooked by some deer crossing the road (it was dusk). However, I was able to grab a short log, and the turbo hits max boost 100 RPM sooner than before. IATs may have dropped a degree or so, but it's so close that it's probably within the margin of error. Ambient temps in the logs below were within 2 degrees of each other (before was 77, after was 75):

Before opening the intake and installing the scoop:
https://datazap.me/u/hotfart/log-1528083448?log=0&data=2-3&solo=2

After:
https://datazap.me/u/hotfart/log-1530499163?log=0&data=1-2

So in conclusion, this is definitely a small but positive difference maker. It's nothing earth shattering, but I didn't expect it to be either. For the price, I would surely recommend.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Just noticed that the 7.5 grill has the grate cutouts on both sides... interesting...