GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit the 312mm front brakes to a Mk7 Golf

pantsos

Ready to race!
obd11 won't tell you...

it appears USA cars get 55mm pistons with 288mm discs.....Europe get 57mm pistons with 288mm discs...

only way 100% is to check you vin number agaist ETKA at the dealers parts dept & it will tell you which calipers are fitted...5QM is 55mm ---8V0 is 57mm

or remove the caliper & it should have 57 or 55 stamped into it on the back face near the piston...

I have the 2015 model in Canada and I’m lucky because my manufacture build date is 2014. Just checked and I have the 8V0 so I’m good. Great news

autovelocity

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
18 R
So my parts arrived today and went to pick it up from the dealer, only to find out these new rotors are Mexican made (my last ones were German made), the brake pads in Mexico, 1 caliper was made in France which im fine with, and the other was made in Mexico.

Needless to say, I refused to accept them and now I have to source out all the parts which are German made.

I told the dealer guy theres no way I will accept Mexican made brake parts especially since my original ones started warping after 3 months.

This is becoming such a pain in the ass as I have to source out German made parts :(

autovelocity

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
18 R
I finally found the French made Calipers and German made rotors, so Ill begin replacing these next week.

GolfDave: Can you recall if your banjo bolts are 10mm?
Ive been reading that all the MK7 calipers (excluding the GTI PP Brakes) use a 10mm banjo bolt.

Also what size were your copper washers? as i still need to find those.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I finally found the French made Calipers and German made rotors, so Ill begin replacing these next week.

Ive been reading that all the MK7 calipers (excluding the GTI PP Brakes) use a 10mm banjo bolt.

No idea, but from what I can tell ALL the front hoses on the MK7 Golf are the same part number..so "R" is the same as a basic Golf.

also ETKA does not list the parts for the banjo bolt or washer...

ESC do new brake hose kits for the mk7 maybe ask them?

vlad0821

If you find out could you post the answer here.
I'm doing an AUDI S3 caliper upgrade on a mk7GTI and i want to know the banjo bolt size .

autovelocity

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
18 R
Yeah, the same brakeline and banjo bolt/washer assembly fits on nearly all the MK7 golf/wagen/alltracks.

It's #5QM-611-701-B

The local stealerships want 70$ per side, but all I need are the washers from it which they will not sell separately because VW only sells them as a kit with the brake line.

I just need to find out the the OD and ID dimensions of the washer and try to source it out at a hardware store.

autovelocity

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
18 R
good find, but how do you know if that's the correct banjo bolt washer for the 8V0 caliper?

Anyhow, since i cant remove my own banjo bolt just to find the dimensions, im going to order a whole brake line kit from the dealer and then measure it there ;)

autovelocity

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
18 R
The new brakeline kit arrived at the dealer so I went to have a look.
To my surprise, VW forced the washers onto the banjo bolt and you cant remove them (thats why they sell it as 1 unit)

Looking at the pictures, the washer dimensions are about 16mm OD and 9mm ID.
Although, if they were a little looser they would be 10mm ID.

Interesting enough, ECS Tuning sells their steel brake lines with the 16x10mm copper washers which will work fine.

As I was leaving the dealer I saw a mechanic outside so I went to talk to him and explained the story. He said to not bother changing the washers because even VW tells them to re-use the banjo bolt washers for simple jobs like this.

Last edited:

Thrawn

Passed Driver's Ed
For the slider pins, is the pin with the plastic sleeve go on top or bottom of the carrier? I neglected to keep track after removal... TIA...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
For the slider pins, is the pin with the plastic sleeve go on top or bottom of the carrier? I neglected to keep track after removal... TIA...

No idea....I forgot to look at this...but I did install the correct item as I put each boxed item on the correct side of car/garage before install...just forgot to look at the pins..& when I pulled the old pins out the smaller carriers I had forgotten which side each carrier came off.....:(

Thrawn

Passed Driver's Ed
Just to add more confusion... My caliper has a 57 stamp... NA 2017 GSW 4MOTION, 288mm stock rotor... Guess the 55mm piston does not apply to all NA cars with 288mm rotors... Or did we already know that?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Just to add more confusion... My caliper has a 57 stamp... NA 2017 GSW 4MOTION, 288mm stock rotor... Guess the 55mm piston does not apply to all NA cars with 288mm rotors... Or did we already know that?

Its more the case the Europe/UK & most 288mm cars get the 57mm pistons..some USA cars get the 55mm pistons..

I wrote this guide on my experience of having 57mm pistons with 288mm discs...as per most Europe cars....just it appears VW have downsized & in fact correctly sized the 288mm disc with a 55mm piston which is what I speculated they should have done for the 288mm disc.....

autovelocity

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
18 R
OK so it's all done.
57mm caliper with the 312mm rotors is really good.

However it wasnt all that simple with these new calipers.
It so happens, VW fucked something up with the bleeder screw design on these 57mm calipers because when I tried to bleed them, it was impossible to get the screw to seal and it would always leak.
In the end i had to goto a local auto-parts store and get compatible bleeder screws which sealed on the 1st attempt. So for anyone that will buy these calipers separately for this upgrade, KEEP that in mind.

In addition to that front caliper bleeder screw(s) issue, this week I called the dealer so I could buy the 272mm rear rotors and matching calipers but I was told they cannot sell the rear calipers anymore for the time being because VW found a fault with them and halted sales while they do a quality control check.;)

Well gee! I wonder if the exact same issue has been discovered with the rear caliper bleeder screw and they are investigating this situation.
Part # for the affected rear calipers: 5QM 615 423 A and 5QM 615 424 A

Last edited: