GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brake Pad Options for R-Line/Sport/PP Brakes

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Part of the OP's complaint about excessive dust is affected by choice of pad material but if you are hitting the brakes hard and frequently you will maximize the dust output of any pad.

dragonskiss

Ready to race!
I feel the OP's pain. The stock pads dust pretty heavily, as expected. I replaced all my pads yesterday with iSweep 1500s up front and Akebono Euro Ceramics in the rear.

First impressions: Initial bite is a bit less (I would approximate 10-15%) than OEM, but actual stopping power seems to be on par with the stock pads. The brake pedal definitely has a more linear feel and is easier to modulate. Akebono doesn't specify a bed-in procedure for their pads, but I can already see the rotors turning a different color interfacing with the new pad material. So far, I'm satisfied, but I'll wait until I have about 500 miles on the new pads to see how comparable the dusting and stopping power is.

Last edited:

SweetJones_29

Ready to race!
There is a brand my indy shop sells I think it is called Akabono that is supposed awesome at not giving off a lot of dust and has decent performance.

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
I would like just dust and noise.

Hawk Blue - and drive slowly everywhere :p

How are Endless pads?
I hear good thing but know cost higher.

I literally just picked up a set of Endless MX72 with DBA T3 rotors so I'm hoping they're excellent. Reviews all point to them being exceptional with low dusting properties and no noise on the street. We'll see.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
We have been using the Stoptech sport rotors and the Sport (Street Performance) pads or the Posi Quiet Ceramic pads for a while with fantastic results depending on rear configuration)

I have yet to find a pad that stops better and dusts less, It just doesn't exist, you must pick your poison, though there are some really good compromises to be had. The Ceramics are going to have a similar braking power to the stock pads, but it wont bite like a semi metallic pad will. The stock pad will also have greater fade resistance. For a daily driver, i'd go for ceramic. Guys that autocross and track their car definitely should consider dedicated pads to get the best of both worlds.
I had the Stoptech Street performance on a previous car. While they did dust a bit more then my OEM Honda pads, they NEVER faded even when I was beating the royal crap out of the brakes. Best of all, initial BITE was fantastic even in the winter time :cool:

Oh and the actual dust from the pads was very easy to clean off the alloy wheels that I had. I don't see what the fuss is on dust unless you have a show car. Just clean the wheels up real good and ceramic coat them and rinse them off every few days.

With brakes like the ones in the R & GTI PP I must say that I look forward to the day where I need to replace the brakes because I'll be getting some stoptech street performance pads.

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Here's an alternate to replacing the pads because of excessive dusting: clean the wheels thoroughly with Iron.X from Car Pro. Then spray the wheels with Reload, also from Car Pro. Like magic, the dust won't stick to the wheels! The Reload is supposed to last for up to 6 months- I treated my wheels just before winter started in Buffalo , and the wheels still don't collect brake dust. I'll be cleaning & re-treating the wheels when I install my new autocross tires & wheels (after treating them too!) this Saturday.
I wish I knew about this stuff when I had my Mini Cooper. Talk about brake dusting- yikes!

Banned
Here's an alternate to replacing the pads because of excessive dusting: clean the wheels thoroughly with Iron.X from Car Pro. Then spray the wheels with Reload, also from Car Pro. Like magic, the dust won't stick to the wheels! The Reload is supposed to last for up to 6 months- I treated my wheels just before winter started in Buffalo , and the wheels still don't collect brake dust. I'll be cleaning & re-treating the wheels when I install my new autocross tires & wheels (after treating them too!) this Saturday.
I wish I knew about this stuff when I had my Mini Cooper. Talk about brake dusting- yikes!

Mine are cquartzed, and reloaded and still get gross with dust as they are a bright silver finish. Fronts are really easy to tell they're dirty compared to the rare.

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
Just went to Ferodo DS2500 for track and street and am as happy as can be with them. Best combo pad I've ever used. It is imperative that you go through the bedding process after which my pads were smoking like anything (that is normal). As expected they were golden on the track, but the real surprise was how excellent they were on the street considering silence, cold stopping power and low dust.

fretburnr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
My solution for the dust: I got satin grey wheels that are roughly the color of brake dust :p

I have liked Hawk HPS for street-only applications on previous cars, but I'm not sure they have a PP front pad.

I use the Stoptech Sports on my e46 330i autocross / HPDE car, and they perform admirably. Though they wear very quickly at the track, fade isn't bad. However, I have sometimes found them prone to leaving noisy pad imprints when only gently street driven for a while.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
My solution for the dust: I got satin grey wheels that are roughly the color of brake dust :p

I have liked Hawk HPS for street-only applications on previous cars, but I'm not sure they have a PP front pad.

I use the Stoptech Sports on my e46 330i autocross / HPDE car, and they perform admirably. Though they wear very quickly at the track, fade isn't bad. However, I have sometimes found them prone to leaving noisy pad imprints when only gently street driven for a while.

Can you explain noisy pad imprints?
I have seen and wonder how made.
Looks like a shadow.

fretburnr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Can you explain noisy pad imprints?
I have seen and wonder how made.
Looks like a shadow.

Yep. It looks like the outline of the pad shape imprinted on the rotor in a somewhat dark color. Some pad materials are more prone to it than others, in my experience. Every pad, when run hot against a rotor, will leave some of its material on the rotor - this is sometimes called a transfer layer, and why brakes should be bedded-in. I suspect that some friction materials continue to leave material when the car is stopped with the brakes applied, and therefore leave a heavier mark in that position, in the shape of the pad.

In my case, my 330i and my roommate's G35X both use Stoptech Sports, and we have found that with light normal street use, they tend to leave an imprint. Over time those imprints can cause variable friction, and therefore vibration as the rotors have "sticky" spots that grab the pad. It sometimes manifests as a "warped rotor" feeling, but goes away if we clean up the rotors with some steel wool.

However, strangely enough, I have not had a problem with imprints after a track afternoon on those pads. I am cautious to cool them for a lap, then stop and park the car using the clutch and compression, rather than using the brakes the last few feet.

In a related topic, my OE rear brakes from my '17 GTI Sport tend to imprint a bit after a car wash or heavy rain when the brakes are warm. This leads to some noise from the rear brakes the next morning until I clean them off with use. Some searching on this forum shows this as common. I have looked at the back side of the rotor and verified the imprints with a mirror.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Yep. It looks like the outline of the pad shape imprinted on the rotor in a somewhat dark color. Some pad materials are more prone to it than others, in my experience. Every pad, when run hot against a rotor, will leave some of its material on the rotor - this is sometimes called a transfer layer, and why brakes should be bedded-in. I suspect that some friction materials continue to leave material when the car is stopped with the brakes applied, and therefore leave a heavier mark in that position, in the shape of the pad.

In my case, my 330i and my roommate's G35X both use Stoptech Sports, and we have found that with light normal street use, they tend to leave an imprint. Over time those imprints can cause variable friction, and therefore vibration as the rotors have "sticky" spots that grab the pad. It sometimes manifests as a "warped rotor" feeling, but goes away if we clean up the rotors with some steel wool.

However, strangely enough, I have not had a problem with imprints after a track afternoon on those pads. I am cautious to cool them for a lap, then stop and park the car using the clutch and compression, rather than using the brakes the last few feet.

In a related topic, my OE rear brakes from my '17 GTI Sport tend to imprint a bit after a car wash or heavy rain when the brakes are warm. This leads to some noise from the rear brakes the next morning until I clean them off with use. Some searching on this forum shows this as common. I have looked at the back side of the rotor and verified the imprints with a mirror.

Thanks for info.
What I see is a shadow or the slot cut in the brake disc.
About 1.5” back from main slot.
Thought it was dust but a wipe does not removed.
Searched on line but only found condition you mention.
No issues just noticed.

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R

I agree with your solution. My Neuspeed wheels have been called "brakedust grey"

On my previous car, I had HPS front pads and StopTech Sports on the rear (didn't like the HPS, and the StopTechs were installed at a later date). HPS dusted like no other, and StopTechs had a much better initial bite. Never had any imprint or pad transfer issues with either pad, but since the StopTechs were only in the rear, maybe it wasn't as much of an issue.