GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Halewafa’s First Autocross Season

Halewafa

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys! I decided to create a thread following my first season in autocross with my 2017 GTI SE. Hopefully I can supply some with valuable information, as well as obtain useful information from more seasoned drivers. Before this season, I’ve driven in about 4 different autocross events, and that was in my M4. This will be my first season in the GTI and I’ll be racing as a novice. My setup:

2017 VW GTI SE w/ DSG
18x7.5 O.Z. Racing HyperGT HLT Wheels
225/40/18 Falken Azenis RT615K Tires
Class: GS

https://i.imgur.com/5wHO66m.jpg

Event 1 (5/6/18)
This was my first event in the new GTI. Overall, I was very impressed with how it handled. There was quite a large turnout, but we still got 5 runs each. I DNF’d my first 3 runs, there was a cone that I kept missing that I didn’t realize until I went to check my run times (note to self, check run time after first run so you know if you’re missing anything). I was extremely happy with the way the tires performed. I ended up running them 40 front and 42 rear, which I think I’ll stick with next event. There was zero roll on the sidewall, tires look to be in good shape and should last the season no problem. The only issue I have with this car is the DSG. I hate how in manual mode it’ll still shift up for you, is there any way to avoid that? In the M4 I could bounce it off the limiter if I wanted to. I kept having to force it back to 2nd every time it shifted. I tried to do it in automatic “S” mode, but that still was a bit slow out of the turns.

The results have been posted for Event 1, and I’m leading the Novice Group!

https://i.imgur.com/OaDLNoX.jpg

(Anyone have a suggestion on how to embed these pictures into the thread? I want to place them among the paragraphs, I don’t want to just attach them at the end)

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
FYI the DSG thing is normal and one of the reason why I avoided it when I got the MK7(I had a DSG MK6). You can do DSG tune but they are not GS/STH legal.

Halewafa

Passed Driver's Ed
FYI the DSG thing is normal and one of the reason why I avoided it when I got the MK7(I had a DSG MK6). You can do DSG tune but they are not GS/STH legal.

Yeah, that’s what I figured. I’ll probably keep it stock for the first two seasons so I can stay GS novice and then consider APR Stage 1 and the DSG tune (as well as lowering it and adding spacers, not a huge fan of how those wheels look on it stock).

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
I'm going down to Peru for the T&T this weekend, both to do some tire testing and prepare for the Champ Tour there next month...

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Isn't the transmission a part of the PCM/ECU?

It is illegal in STH as well?

I wrote to SEB back in 2017:

Letter: #18965 Category: Street Touring Class: STall Title: Transmission Software Tune Request: For your consideration. A lot of the modern vehicles now favors the use of automatic transmission over standard manual. And enthusiasts a lot of the time buys these cars based on the potential performance advantage over the manual. Current rules at least to my reading does not seem to address the potential of using transmission tune software. In ST classes we are already allowing engine tuning which can alter factory parameter to beyond that of the standard vehicles(rev limit, 2 stage limiter, launch control, rev matching...etc), a lot of the aftermarket companies offers similar benefit to either canned or programmer style software to allow for modifying shift point, shift speed/firmness, or allowing for disabling of auto upshift at redline/kickdown with the kickdown switch. In my view the capability of these product is probably within the scope of the ST classes and probably as commonly used to a lot of the average enthusiasts as engine software. Which I think is well within the intention of ST category. As the modern auto gets more popular even amongst the enthusiasts, I think SEB needs to address this type of modification also.Thank you

Response:

https://dk1xgl0d43mu1.cloudfront.ne.../000/019/716/17-fastrack-March.pdf?1487696728

Street Touring
#18965 Transmission Software Tune
The STAC does not believe electronic tuning of other driveline or chassis control
modules would be advisable in Street Touring. Thank you for your input.

I mean you can keep writing to them...

This is after the announcement of STH I think....