GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 ZR-1 Corvette

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
I have no doubt the intakes all serve a purpose, but air intakes can be designed many ways. The Ford GT has air intakes at base of the buttresses in back and runs up them to the engine I think. Doing this you can not really see the intakes.
I just think they could get air flow without showing everyone where the intakes are. The back end of the Corvette is where I would reduce visible intakes. The front (business end) looks OK with vents.

You mention the Honda and agree this is bad design to make it look cool but intakes are fake. In a way the Corvette which is a much more expensive car, has similar in your face intakes but they work. If one design is bad is the other?

Ford also wants a half million dollars for that car which is

The ones on the R aren't all functional, all the ones on the Corvette are.

One of the reasons Chevrolet is probably going with a MR layout is to do exactly what you suggest with the vents to make a better looking car. That won't cost a half million dollars. Would bet money on it being faster too.

The new Ford GT is a failboat and a half.

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
I have no doubt the intakes all serve a purpose, but air intakes can be designed many ways. The Ford GT has air intakes at base of the buttresses in back and runs up them to the engine I think. Doing this you can not really see the intakes.
I just think they could get air flow without showing everyone where the intakes are. The back end of the Corvette is where I would reduce visible intakes. The front (business end) looks OK with vents.

You mention the Honda and agree this is bad design to make it look cool but intakes are fake. In a way the Corvette which is a much more expensive car, has similar in your face intakes but they work. If one design is bad is the other?

I agree with everything you said except "If one design is bad is the other?"

The Corvette design is driven by performance. Whether they could make them look different or more cohesive, I don't know and I wouldn't think so.

The Honda is designed for looks, not function, which make it overly busy and boy racerish.

No one will look at the Corvette with the huge wing and ask if it performs (the wing is actually mounted to the rear subframe structure as it should be and doesn't open with the rear hatch).
Looking at the very busy Type R with the big wing - most people will think it's a kid that added it to the rear of the car for looks.

IMHO: Yes, there is a difference in the design.

NoGodGetOverIt

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE/DSG
Form should follow function...

Mhamstead19

Ready to race!
I would hope for 100k+ the corvette would be all function. I mostly made that comment based off appearance. Mostly front bumper vents looking similar to shape and the aggressive appearance overall. I personally think for the price of the type r all vents should be functional. My taste is much more subtle, so I don’t really like the look of either. I guess it was silly to compare a super civic to a super car....but it was just the first thing that stuck out to me when initially seeing the new vette.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NoGodGetOverIt

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE/DSG
I would hope for 100k+ the corvette would be all function. I mostly made that comment based off appearance. Mostly front bumper vents looking similar to shape and the aggressive appearance overall. I personally think for the price of the type r all vents should be functional. My taste is much more subtle, so I don’t really like the look of either. I guess it was silly to compare a super civic to a super car....but it was just the first thing that stuck out to me when initially seeing the new vette.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, I agree. Some people like subtle, some like outlandish. But, if it's going to be outlandish, at least make it outlandishly functional... :)

Not sure what Honda was thinking with the Type R...

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
Jay Leno drove it on his last show. He did over 200 MPH.

I drove the new ZR-1 and its fantastic, its design is purposeful. I drove the high wing but prefer the low wing.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I like how it looks, but from the front it looks like a Camaro to me. Boxy and too many edges. The Corvette to me should have the nice rounded wheel wheels and front bumper cover