GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What is wrong with my GTD - Please Help?!?!?

p4tenttoast

Just thought I would add my name to the list of people experiencing this problem!

I took delivery of the GTD in Feb 2016. It has only ever run on Vpower. I have had an intermittent problem with it over-cranking probably once a fortnight where it turns over a good couple of seconds longer than normal. I've noticed it and it hasn't really bothered me.

Sometimes it happens when it has been stood for only a couple of minutes, other times after it has been stood overnight. However I went on holiday and it started perfectly first time upon my return.

This morning in the rain it took what felt like an age to start which was mostly worrying because I didn't want to have to get back out of the car in the pouring rain.

It seems like it might be down to a faulty crank position sensor, or sensor connection? I've never had any firing or power delivery problems once the engine is running. I'll mention it when it goes in for its first service if it doesn't break down before then

pipsyp

Ready to race!
Ive had two GTD's...2014 and 2015 MY16 model years and both did it...the newer one more often.

I still have a 2.0 150 TDI Mk3 Skoda Octavia which Ive had from brand new and it slow starts quite a bit and has done from new.....its 2 and a bit years old with nearly 31k miles on the clock now...annoying but it always starts and goes like a rocket for a 150hp diesel car (its lighter than the GTD so barely slower though handles like shit) so cant foresee there being much wrong with it.

Its been checked at two services also and no issues raised.

Got back off of several days hols where it had been sat on my driveway and it took maybe 7-8 seconds to start first off but it did start.

I actually think its a characteristic of the engine....its shit and is a bit embarrassing when it decides to do it in front of someone (as the starter is also quite noisy) but I can live with it.

Ironically, never fails to fire quickly off of stop start.....

WotNo

Passed Driver's Ed
My almost 3 y/o GTD has been occasionally doing this from new. A few weeks ago it took longer than normal to start and I felt the car felt a bit hesitant on my journey. When I got back in the car to return home it wouldn't start at all and despite the best efforts of the AA technician I had to be recovered to a VW dealership. The fault was diagnosed as the fuel pump control unit, which was replaced the next day. Got the car back and it was starting ok but there was still some hesitancy when driving along. Took it back and they replaced the fuel pump. It's all ok now.

vincent.yore

Ive had two GTD's...2014 and 2015 MY16 model years and both did it...the newer one more often.

I still have a 2.0 150 TDI Mk3 Skoda Octavia which Ive had from brand new and it slow starts quite a bit and has done from new.....its 2 and a bit years old with nearly 31k miles on the clock now...annoying but it always starts and goes like a rocket for a 150hp diesel car (its lighter than the GTD so barely slower though handles like shit) so cant foresee there being much wrong with it.

Its been checked at two services also and no issues raised.

Got back off of several days hols where it had been sat on my driveway and it took maybe 7-8 seconds to start first off but it did start.

I actually think its a characteristic of the engine....its shit and is a bit embarrassing when it decides to do it in front of someone (as the starter is also quite noisy) but I can live with it.

Ironically, never fails to fire quickly off of stop start.....

Its not very good I have the issue as well told dealer they did nothing but I have sent them a video of it happening and ask them to ienquire with VW is this a know issue with no fix.

rr92

Hello. It's an old subject, but current to me. I bought used VW Golf MK7 4motion 2.0 150HP (car is from 09.2014).

I have identical as described in this thread a problem with long cranking. Car always start at first time, but sometimes it took few seconds to start the engine. It's very annoying.
It's only happens at first cold start in the morning (car is always in garage). All day car works perfect.

I noticed that it happens more often as the weather outside is warm.

Have anyone solved this problem? I'll be grateful for any suggestions.

After purchase I have replace: timing belt, alternator belt, all filters (fuel filter, air filter), oil filter and oil. Battery was charged.

Thanks in advance.

Mark315

Passed Driver's Ed
I returned my MK7 GTD to VW for a refund due to this

sturgeon boy

Passed Driver's Ed
there is a solution for this problem its replacing the VVT valve theres a big thread on one of the mk7 sites on facebook a guy by the name of diagnostic Dan ( search youtube ) solved the problem which involves replacing the VVT valve with the superseded part i priced it from VW the valve itself is about £80 then the cost of the new casing and fitting should cure the problem

Jamie93

Passed Driver's Ed
I returned my MK7 GTD to VW for a refund due to this

Is yours a facelift gtd? If so I would suggest that the vvt module may not be the only cause of this issue. The reason I say that is because the modified vvt module was fitted to all production cars from late 2016 - early 2017 onwards. All the facelifts should therefore come with this already installed from the factory. Hence there may be another issue causing this. I have my suspicions that it may be an injector problem such as injector drift. I can categorically say though that use of premium diesel such as v power has made it so it a lot less often. I also think though that these engines get increasingly noisy as the miles go up - anyone else agree??

rr92

Is yours a facelift gtd? If so I would suggest that the vvt module may not be the only cause of this issue. The reason I say that is because the modified vvt module was fitted to all production cars from late 2016 - early 2017 onwards. All the facelifts should therefore come with this already installed from the factory. Hence there may be another issue causing this. I have my suspicions that it may be an injector problem such as injector drift. I can categorically say though that use of premium diesel such as v power has made it so it a lot less often. I also think though that these engines get increasingly noisy as the miles go up - anyone else agree??

I have 2.0 TDI and 150000 km on the clock. I agree, engine is noisy.

I'm still searching solution for extended crank issue. On another forum someone said, that had replaced VVT Oil control modul like on the YT video with no luck.

This extended crank happen so randomly. For example,
it starts well ten times, the eleventh time has an extended start. One thing is for sure, it's only happen to me on cold start (first of the day).

rr92

A few days ago I replaced this VVT valve and housing in my car. For testing purposes I bought used parts, but in very good condition.

Time will tell if it fixes the problem of extended cranking of the car. It seems to me, however, that after replacing parts, the car fires faster. Every time <1s. Of course, we are talking about the first morning launch of the car, because during the day there was never a problem.

I will let you know how the situation looks like in a while.

Mark315

Passed Driver's Ed

The car returned was a 2014 GTD with 25k on it.

Went and bought a new 7.5, hasnt missed a beat

rr92

It's been over a month since replacing parts in the car ... so far there is big smile on my face :) No problems with long cranking. Each time it fires beautifully <1s. It doesn't matter if the car stands without starting 1, 2 or 3 days. I will let you know for some time, but it seems that the replacement of the VVT ​​valve and housing has made a good effect.