GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

clutch slip on das waltauto approved gti?

boats'n hoes

hi,
I've just bought a manual gti with 28000 on the clock 5 days ago from a VW garage. After recent snow tonight has the been the first night I've been able to have a good blast out in it and i noticed in 6th with full throttle the revs jumped up at 3000 rpm to 4500 and back down, I've had a clutch go in a similar way before so i just wanted to know if everyone agrees it's clutch issues?
It claims in the 142 point pre sale check that the clutch had been checked. how i don't know but i do know i should be able to get a free repair or my money back if it comes to it under the consumer rights act.
I'm also wondering if the stock clutch last longer than the current mileage if it's respected more in the peak torque rev range, i want to keep the car completely standard to be honest as i want to keep the warranty as valid as possible and trade it in for a R in a year or so.
i have searched for this topic but i failed to find anything, i'm sure it's just me being a noob so thanks for any advice guys!

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
You shouldn't be going WOT in 5th or 6th at 3k rpm. Stock clutches are known to be weak on MK7's. Plenty of people have seen slip at less mileage than you. Going WOT in 5th or 6th at low RPM is a surefire way to kill a clutch

ashiun

Ready to race!
While true, it shouldn't slip so hard on a clutch that isn't already worn out, should it?

boats'n hoes

Yeah i wouldn't normally drive like that but i read that that's a good way of seeing if the clutch is on the way out and since I've only driven about 100 miles in it i don't think they could say it's down to me. I have also noticed the revs pause slightly as they hit 4500 in 4th and above with not even full throttle, i presume that's connected some how.
Surely you would think that a slipping clutch would count as a fail on the das welt check and be repaired before sale but i guess it's probably not worth the paper it's printed on.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
OMG. And some people argued it had nothing to do with the driver. Lol...

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Yeah i wouldn't normally drive like that but i read that that's a good way of seeing if the clutch is on the way out and since I've only driven about 100 miles in it i don't think they could say it's down to me. I have also noticed the revs pause slightly as they hit 4500 in 4th and above with not even full throttle, i presume that's connected some how.
Surely you would think that a slipping clutch would count as a fail on the das welt check and be repaired before sale but i guess it's probably not worth the paper it's printed on.

You're right, it's definitely a torture test for the clutch. I'm not sure if you'll have any luck with getting them to chip in on the replacement clutch, but good luck.
Those "100 point inspections" are a joke. I can almost guarantee that they spent all of two minutes checking the oil and writing check-marks on that worthless piece of paper.
Since you'll have to replace it sooner rather than later, you might as well take the opportunity to upgrade it. You might want to check things like the oil, spark plugs, and brakes also.

boats'n hoes

hopefully, or at least some discount as a good will gesture. I've been looking at the SACHS performance clutch which seems to be my best option if i'm keeping the map stock and drive as standard as possible.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Unless you're the worst manual transmission operator in the history of the world there's no way you could kill the clutch that was in good shape in 5 days.

I think you should be aggressive with getting a serious discount on labor on the new clutch install.

The clutch had to be compromised prior to purchase.

boats'n hoes

Unless you're the worst manual transmission operator in the history of the world there's no way you could kill the clutch that was in good shape in 5 days.

I think you should be aggressive with getting a serious discount on labor on the new clutch install.

The clutch had to be compromised prior to purchase.

well i like to think not, my previous car was a ten year old leon fr tdi 170 with a stage 1 map to 220 bhp and i drove that for a year on the map with no issues. think i need to adapt to petrol better though as I've always had a dirty diesel so not used to having so much gear to use.
Here in the UK the consumer rights act says that a vehicle must be of satisfactory quality and meet the description given and since it's in black and white on the pre-sale check that the clutch was in good condition they can't argue with replacing it free of charge.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Well I think they might be able to argue that you killed it, especially if you tell them about the WOT in 6th, but I do seriously doubt that's what happened.

I somehow got the idea in my head that you were upgrading the clutch, sorry for the confusion on that front.

boats'n hoes

Can you confirm the car is not flashed?
I slip with JB4 on medium boost around 3k but dialed down a bit and its fine.

I cant say I've checked myself to be honest but it my last car wasn't far off the pace of this one and it doesn't feel much faster. How would i check this myself? or would i need to go to a tuning company? And from reading a post from a VW mechanic on here he said it's very obvious that a car isn't stock tuned when they plug in for service so i presume VW would have put it back to standard if it was mapped before sale.