GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheel Hop

Exodus_VDP

Hai,

I own a brand new manual Golf GTI mk7 (non-performance).

As you can tell by the title, I am also sort of annoyed by the fact that there's excessive wheel hop when accelerating in first gear (also happens when in second, but it's very mild). You guys have probably seen a million threads like this but I tried searching around the forums for a good answer in order to solve this problem but haven't had any luck yet.

I know there's lots of parameters influencing the severity of the wheel hop, but I'd like to know how people deal with this issue in terms of driving (i.e. certain skills & techniques).

It's the first time I drive a FWD and it seems logical that there's some wheel hop... Any insight on how to deal with this problem other than lowering the tyre pressure, or changing to wider tyres would be appreciated!

Last edited:

Golfing1

Passed Driver's Ed
Sound like Traction Control or Stability Control or a combination of both trying to limit wheel spin. Ease off on the throttle or turn the electronic controls off. My standard 1.4 TSI with DSG does the same if I select sport mode and floor it.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
The thing about all that torque and a 6MT car with no mechanical LSD is it has to go somewhere. If you have the TC on it will limit it with XDS. The mechanical LSD would help a bit more but you can only do so much with FWD and normal street tires. Also, has your car had that steering recalled thing fixed?

So, this thing has so much it's best to not floor it in 1st gear, basically. That's why the 0-60 is so much lower on an AWD car.

mittenz

Ready to race!
The thing about all that torque and a 6MT car with no mechanical LSD is it has to go somewhere. If you have the TC on it will limit it with XDS. The mechanical LSD would help a bit more but you can only do so much with FWD and normal street tires. Also, has your car had that steering recalled thing fixed?

So, this thing has so much it's best to not floor it in 1st gear, basically. That's why the 0-60 is so much lower on an AWD car.

I would be curious what a decent set of track tires would yield for 0-60 time :)

Exodus_VDP

@Golfing
Thanks, that's probably the only thing you can do with it (as a stock).

@Revolver1966
Thanks, I'll take your advice (and Golfing's) & go easy on the throttle. I'm used to flooring my BMW so it's going to be a real struggle holding back :(

Hmm, regarding the recall over the steering problem, I did some research and it seems that only American and Canadians models had that issue... Mine was built in Germany so I think I'm fine. It's like two weeks old as well so I imagine the people at Volkswagen would have fixed it before giving it to me anyway.

Swoope

Ready to race!
@Golfing

@Revolver1966
Thanks, I'll take your advice (and Golfing's) & go easy on the throttle. I'm used to flooring my BMW so it's going to be a real struggle holding back :(

Hmm, regarding the recall over the steering problem, I did some research and it seems that only American and Canadians models had that issue... Mine was built in Germany so I think I'm fine. It's like two weeks old as well so I imagine the people at Volkswagen would have fixed it before giving it to me anyway.

better shocks.

beers

EB2429

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTi 7.5
Lots of cars do this, even rear drive cars. I remember a thread on the Porsche forums from Boxster and spyder owners complaining about wheel hope. But the car will have a natural limiting factor, with torque, tyres and drivetrain, and also the driver.

Saying that the car is supposed to have an anti tramping? feature but i guess its limited in what it can do.

acapvwgti

Ready to race!
every gti i have ever owned suffered from wheel hop. the mk5 was the worst. i don't really notice it much with the mk7 but i still can make it hop at will

acapvwgti

Ready to race!
@Golfing

@Revolver1966

if your concerned about recalls you can always enter your vin into the recall campaign link on VWs site. But yes it was about 2000 cars manufactured in Mexico.

joema2

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2010 Golf GTI 6MT
..I own a brand new manual Golf GTI mk7 (non-performance)....sort of annoyed by the fact that there's excessive wheel hop when accelerating in first gear...It's the first time I drive a FWD and it seems logical that there's some wheel hop... Any insight on how to deal with this problem...

Many cars suffer from wheel hop in certain conditions, including RWD. Here is an underbody video of a Cadillac CTS-V having wheel hop at 01:42: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1SSIGSTPBo

Explanation of wheel hop and possible solutions: http://www.mc2racing.com/tech/20061012a/

My Mk6 GTI had wheel hop, more often on wet roads. It had it when stock, and after significant mods. It was not fixed by a dogbone insert, or Pilot Super Sport tires, or a VW Racing coilover suspension, or a WaveTrac LSD. Each of those things changed the wheel hop characteristics for the better, but it never totally went away.

My Mk7 GTI with APR stage 1 rarely exhibits wheel hop, probably because the torque management and traction control are so effective. However wheel hop can happen on either wet or dry roads.

Internexus

Ready to race!
Decrease your tire pressure on the front tires thus increasing surface area and traction. I'd work in 5 psi increments to get the desired level of traction you're looking for.

This is a simple trick for drag racing, as far as road course racing it can benefit to a smaller extent but you can't decrease pressure nearly as much before handling suffers.