GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear caliper piston retraction direction on Golf R

Calubi

Ready to race!
If its like MK5/6 (and I think it is) you will find it much easier with the tool. You have to rotate it in, can't push it.

Start view this vid at 9:30min in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THZj7NBcOr0

The confusing part of that video is the tool compresses spinning counter clockwise, not clockwise like I see mentioned elsewhere. That's what made me think maybe I need a different tool that is reverse threaded. But the shopdap video shows clockwise winding.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
I'll be doing the brakes on my R in the spring. With that said, you just need a caliper press, no need to rotate the piston?

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

Calubi

Ready to race!
So why do some guides say the piston needs to be rotated after the VCDS procedure?

Calubi

Ready to race!
Ok, I got the piston retracted with a hybrid-ish method. I used the compression tool to spin and compress the piston (clockwise) until it hit some kind of hard stop and turning was no longer possible. I then swapped to a non-rotating compressor and pushed it the rest of the way in until it again hit a hard stop. This was enough clearance to get the caliper back on! I haven't finished it up yet and tested the EPB, so hopefully I didn't break anything!

Now to try to figure out how to get a torque wrench to the caliper bolts...

prime8evolved

Passed Driver's Ed
I found out about this issue recently when replacing my stock pads with EBS reds. Clockwise is the correct direction and a tool to turn it in while applying pressure is recommended. My brother had a widget that you can fit to the indents and put a c-clamp on. Wasn't the easiest thing to use but, got the job done.

Attachments

• IMG_20200502_093947.jpg
    IMG_20200502_093947.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 192