GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car-Net Tracking

PhonzGTI

A month or so in on the new R and am really enjoying the vehicle. I received an E-Mail yesterday from connectedservices@vw.com with a car-net health report. Looks like data gets transmitted to VW or some other agency with all kinds of assorted data. There is the VIN number, actual milage as well as engine/powertrain, and a tires/brakes "health report". Maybe I am overly suspicious, but is anyone else a bit uncomfortable with probably every move being tracked? Is there any functionality in the system to disable? Thanks

Not paranoid at all to question the data being shared. Suppose say they track you to your local race track and decide to void warranty claims based on your racing the car every weekend? Not saying this is happening or will happen, but the data makes such things possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sloppyGTI

Silly Rabit
Car(s)
2019 VW gti autobahn
I wouldn't have that on my car.

do you own a smart tv?
iphone or android phone ?
how about alexa or any sort of smart home assistant ?
you use the internet and im sure not on a VPN.

so your data is tracked no matter what, the problem is that stigma got put into a bad way, im not saying thats not the truth but what possibly could VW be using your driving habits for ? i mean lets get real here and understand that for as long as these cars have had any kind of emergency system in it (on star) i have never heard of this information being used in a bad way .

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
do you own a smart tv?
iphone or android phone ?
how about alexa or any sort of smart home assistant ?
you use the internet and im sure not on a VPN.

so your data is tracked no matter what, the problem is that stigma got put into a bad way, im not saying thats not the truth but what possibly could VW be using your driving habits for ? i mean lets get real here and understand that for as long as these cars have had any kind of emergency system in it (on star) i have never heard of this information being used in a bad way .

I always use a VPN.