GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTD no 1st 5th or 6th gear - manual

JimboS

Over the last week or so had noticed the clutch pedal not coming back up in some mainly lower gears. was intermittent and was going to book it in to be checked out.

Got in the car this morning and put it in 1st gear, tried to pull away and it was in reverse. clutch felt normal. tried again. same, 1st position is finding reverse.
got it in to 3rd and pulled away, and have found I can only select reverse, 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear.

going to have to get it recovered to vw on monday. but seems serious, and prob v expensive?

Anyone had similar issues/ any ideas what this could be?

MK7 gtd 2014, 73k.

Jimdog

Passed Driver's Ed
This sounds like either catastrophic failure and you should be hearing the transmission grinding what's left of the synchro, shift forks, and gears into a fine dust. OR all the gears have shifted to the right and you need to spend 10 minutes re adjusting the shifter cables.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I think if it were something catastrophic you would be hearing terrible metal on metal noises and experience something more violent than just not finding the gear.

I had my transmission replaced, it did not just die quietly one morning. Hopefully what Jim hypothesized about the cables is correct.

JimboS

Thanks Gents.
I ended up calling the RAC out to get recovered to my local dealer to investigate. When the technician arrived, he inspected the gear cable and selector etc and it all operated fine. He noticed a colour difference on the gear cable adjuster where it connects to the selector mechanism, approx 10mm of it was `clean metal` as opposed the the lightly greasy 10mm on the gear cable side of the threading. He adjusted it to cover the clear metal thread section, put it all back together and all gears were then reachable and operating correctly.
The root cause of this was a friend who had been looking into a clutch issue the day before, and had accidentally adjusted the gear cable to selector!
My local dealer had it to check it all over, and to do diagnostics on a clutch issue I`ve been having, and they advised all was fine and no issues identified.
Apologies for the un-techy explanation of the resolution of this issue!

JimboS

pictures attached

pictures attached

Attachments

• 20190929_083148.jpg
    20190929_083148.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 199
  • 20190929_082624.jpg
    20190929_082624.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 201
  • 20190929_084338.jpg
    20190929_084338.jpg