GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is this a major or minor problem?

Davenlei

I was looking for a GTI and found a 2016 GTI S with 68K miles for a good price. I went and looked at it and it was in an accident about two years ago but the repairs look good and seems to be holding up very well.

The interior is clean and it drives well and motor sounds fine. It does not look like it was ever modified so another plus.

The problem is when I took a look under the car and also ran an OBDII code check.

Underneath the motor I saw caked on oil so it looks like a leak has been there a while. I could not really see any leak from on top (plastics engine covers were on). Please see pics for the under car shots. Is this leak a bad one like from the rear main seal? Is it a leak from the head gasket? Just wondering how common and how concerning this leak is if anyone knows?

Also I ran Carista and another software to check for issues and the screen shot below has the error codes. I am concerned about the first one.

16401 - Crankshaft / Camshaft Position Correlation Sensor B Bank-1

Is this saying that the cam is not properly in sync as if the timing belt may have jumped a tooth on the cam or something?
The car seems to drive fine and does not idle rough from the several minutes I drove it.

Other than that, the car seems to be in really good shape but those things concern me to the point I may just pass on it even if the price is really good.

If this is not a "Big Deal" problem, does anyone know on average what the cost is to fix those issues?

Last edited:

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Carista likes to put up the 16401 code when the TPMS has been tripped! I’ve had it come up a couple of times and VCDS has proved it to be the case, even after setting the pressures in the infotainment it still pops up unless the fault is cleared, the actual code it is misrepresenting is one related to the TPMS having been tripped, I’ve found that carista seems to wrongly report quite a few codes, for example, look at the infotainment code you have and the related description, it makes no sense.

Diggs has commented on it before,

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29644

The only issue here is the oil! The codes are not correct, carista has for a while been reporting them incorrectly and in my opinion can no longer be trusted!

Last edited:

Davenlei

Carista likes to put up the 16401 code when the TPMS has been tripped! I’ve had it come up a couple of times and VCDS has proved it to be the case, even after setting the pressures in the infotainment it still pops up unless the fault is cleared, the actual code it is misrepresenting is one related to the TPMS having been tripped, I’ve found that carista seems to wrongly report quite a few codes, for example, look at the infotainment code you have and the related description, it makes no sense.

Diggs has commented on it before,

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29644

The only issue here is the oil! The codes are not correct, carista has for a while been reporting them incorrectly and in my opinion can no longer be trusted!

How big is the oil issue in your opinion?

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
look elsewhere, camshift position sensor error means the motor is gonna experience crankwalk and is going to brick itself. Is it a manual?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
look elsewhere, camshift position sensor error means the motor is gonna experience crankwalk and is going to brick itself. Is it a manual?

Carista is falsely reporting this code, as it does with many others, 16401 is tyre pressure warning (has been triggered)

I guarantee it will be different if scanned with VCDS/OBDeleven or at the dealership, the oil leak however is something to think about.

Last edited:

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
The caked oil is on the transmission housing, the plastic cover next to it is the oil pan.... has the DSG been serviced at 40k mi?

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Is this a private seller? Its the only "expensive" service that should have been done to it (at 40k), other than changing the oil every 5-10k mi... by 60k mi you should have done the coils and spark plugs as well... if the private seller has no idea, plus the accident devaluing the car.... yea pass on that car... there are plenty of fish....

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Is this a private seller? Its the only "expensive" service that should have been done to it (at 40k), other than changing the oil every 5-10k mi... by 60k mi you should have done the coils and spark plugs as well... if the private seller has no idea, plus the accident devaluing the car.... yea pass on that car... there are plenty of fish....

If the coils are functioning fine with no misfires why should they be replaced?